Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Swaraj Mazda t3500 price

I'm trying to figure out how much I should ask for my slightly used but 15 year old Mazda t3500 camper; can anyone tell me new and used prices for Swaraj Mazda buses and trucks?
I've been looking on the internet, and oddly haven't succeeded in finding the info.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is it a RV/motor-home.

Swaraj does not fetch a good price like TATA or Tempo.

Post it in our classified section and see what comes up.
Old 13th July 2010, 01:20   #3
BHPian

Thanks; Yes, it's a kind of mega RV heavily loaded with gadgets.
I actually did post it on the classifieds , quite a while ago, but no one is interested it seems. At the price I'm asking at least [14 lahks].

The replacement cost must be much higher, but I was trying to figure out what the base vehicle is worth and so far haven't found any numbers.
link;
Team-BHP Classifieds - swaraj mazda turbo camper caravan - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I guess I'll have to discount it a lot, since it looks like I won't be coming back to spend time in India any more; but how far?? I haven't found anything to compare it to.
Somewhere I read a swaraj mazda schoolbus [new] is 11 lahks. I guess I spent 30 building my camper, and today it would surely cost far more, probably double.

Last edited by anjuna mark : 13th July 2010 at 01:22.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

that's a very niche category in India, all the best.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

As an ex Swaraj Mazda employee, I can tell you that a 15 Yr old SW has hardly any resale. So I think you should discount the price of base vehicle and then arrive at costing ( including depreciation) for the RV.

Also since its a niche vehicle and is already 15 yrs old, nobody will able to get a loan on it and will have to pay cash. That further limits its prospects.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
Thanks; Yes, it's a kind of mega RV heavily loaded with gadgets.
I actually did post it on the classifieds , quite a while ago, but no one is interested it seems. At the price I'm asking at least [14 lahks]
Yeah man! 14 lac is very expensive.

India is a place where labor is cheap. and you will have lot of options and body builders.

Also RV hasn't really caught up really good in India except for filthy rich politician and film stars.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:22   #7
BHPian

The body building was just a part of the costs; the AC unit and all the imported stuff cost a lot.
there was admittedly a lot of inefficiency; the body building company went bankrupt. I had to pay a high excise tax [which is no longer charged I think] on the body building as well.
I started with a brand new chassis, and basically never used the thing, so it has ridiculously low mileage. I also built a shed to keep it out of the rains.

Thanks, Milecruncher, for your depressing input; I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad!

I considered importing it to Europe, but the challenges are just too great. aside from $5000+ for shipping, then the same again for customs, it's possible the authorities here wouldn't let me register it. They have all kinds of crazy archaic rules, and until the technical inspectors check it in person, they can't tell me what they'll rule.

I really love that truck, and it's killing me to sell it; even more to have to give it away cheap.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Milecruncher, for your depressing input; I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad!
You are most welcome. I just called a spade a spade.

As you'll hardly get any reasonable amount for your RV, I would suggest the following:
Option 1:
Drive it down to Europe on a Carnet and see if you can keep it that rather than just straight away importing. That would save you a lot of money and headache. Hope you understand what I mean

Option2:
Donate it to some NGO/Charitable organisation here. You'll be happier with the knowledge that you did a good deed and the recipient will also bless you all their life.

Cheers
Old 14th July 2010, 11:12   #9
BHPian

Option 3:
Talk to some Tours and Travels and work out some package to rent it out.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:14   #10
BHPian

thanks for the suggestions; I have thought about them all already.

As I'm an American national, I can't get a visa for Iran. Driving through Pakistan is tricky, the situation changes all the time. I did make inquieries once; they did't allow Indian vehices to drive through [could have changed by now]. I asked what if it's an Indian registered vehicle with an American owner/driver? No one could tell me.

Foreign friends of mine who tried to get a carnet issued by the WIAA were all refused. they said they don't issue carnets to non-Indians [foreigners in India face heavy discrimination on many levels, this is no big deal].

I could get a carnet issued from Europe [theoretically], but it's very expensive.
I have friends who used to drive overland to India from Europe every year [for more than 20 years], so I've had good info on this. Driving is only slightly cheaper than shipping after all the costs and fees are added in.

If I ship the vehicle, I can drive it on Indian plates [as long as I'm insured] for 6 months; but in the long run, if I can't register it in Europe, it will have no value, and end up parked permanently on my land here. Which would all be fine if it weren't for the shipping cost. and don't forget the reality; it would take weeks, perhaps months, to get all the clearances and actually get it on a ship. My time has value too! my lost wages [at European rates] for those weeks would add up to a fair amount of change. Bombay [sorry, MUMBAI] isn't my favorite town, and the customs guys aren't the guys I like best to hang out with. I once spent a week there getting my bike cleared...
Also, shipped RV's ALWAYS get broken into and burgled while waiting on the dock.

All these costs and uncertainties add up to a zero value.
With the same effort and money, I could just buy a camper here. Ok, it wouldn't be as nice as the one I made for myself in India, but the large cash and effort involved just aren't worthwhile when the uncertainties are added in.
I could do it for the sake of emotion, but I'm not sure how long I'll even stay in Europe. I might move back to the US in the next few years.

I would just as soon scrap it as give it away. Those NGO's would probably just park it out back and let it rot; I've seen that done too many times. An item that hasn't been paid for is not given any respect. A truck like this needs attention and maintenance in the tropics. There's always something that will need fixing or replacing, and inevitably there will be no one to do it and no budget for it either.
Perhaps if I personally knew someone who I believed could and would really use it, but I don't.

Renting it out; I've had lots of offers from individuals, but it could never be rented out without a driver. If there's an accident or a breakdown, who's responsible? Who's going to deal with the problem when it's half way up a track in the Nilgiris?

There's a company in Delhi that rents out similar vehicles, he owns 2 I think. He was interested, but think about it; he has 1 booking, 2 bookings; does he send my truck and leave his own standing idle? Of course not. Mine would only make money when he needs 3 at once.

If I'm not in India personally to deal with it, it just has to be sold. There has to be a value somewhere!

Last edited by anjuna mark : 14th July 2010 at 15:18.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I considered importing it to Europe, but the challenges are just too great. aside from $5000+ for shipping, then the same again for customs, it's possible the authorities here wouldn't let me register it. .
I think exporting is easy. Its Portugal's import rule you have to check.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:41   #12
BANNED

If you need to park it safely in Goa, until you find a way to let go of it. Let me know.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:31   #13
BHPian

It's true, importing into Portugal would be the hardest part; but my experience is that nothing is ever easy in India either.
Something always turns up; an NOC from the commissioner of somewhat, permission to enter the dock area, who knows.
It's too big to fit into a container, so would have to go on a pallet; has to be loaded, chained down, checked and cleared.

Paperwork in Portugal might be worse than India! they keep changing things, favorite word is "No", and if it isn't normally done, then it can not ever be done.

Thanks spitfire: it's been parked in it's own shed in Goa for 15 years now. My friend [and German trained mechanic] looks after it and starts both motors once a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks