Old 10th August 2010, 18:26   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Electric Rickshaw launched in Delhi!

Electric Rickshaw launched in Delhi!-erick3.jpg

Electric Rickshaw launched in Delhi!-erick-2.jpg

From the official communication received:
Quote:
Vodafone Essar, in association with Eco-Activate, today announced the launch of the much awaited eco-friendly vehicle, E-rick as the sponsoring partner. Honorable Chief Minister of Delhi; Smt. Shiela Dikshit flagged-off the E-rick at her residence.

The launch of E-rick is an effort to provide pollution-free mode of transportation in the capital. E-rick, powered by batteries, aims to ensure reduction in carbon footprint with zero emissions.

To begin with, the E-rick would be available for commuters on the following routes:

• Chandni Chowk
• Saket – Press club Road
• IIT – SDA Market area
• GK II
• Delhi University – North Campus

Applauding the initiative, Chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Shiela Dikshit said, “There is a need for collaborative efforts to make Delhi a pollution-free zone. We are extremely proud to lend support to E-ricks in Delhi and look forward to more and more people opting for green technologies such as this.”

E –rick is a state-of-the-art means of battery powered transportation. The vehicle’s main components are a fully recyclable polyethylene cabin, a heavy duty modular steel frame and an advanced, digitally controlled electric propulsion system.

Taking about the initiative Minaal Mehra, Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder , Eco Activate says, “Eco-Activate takes pride in giving India its first ever Eco-friendly mode of public transport, E-rick. This Zero emission vehicle will herald an important beginning in history of environmental change and also our first conscious effort towards making our city and country clean and green."

Similar E-rick fleets were present at number of international events, such as the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, the Expo 2005 in Japan, the 2006 Football World Championship in Germany and also did some very successful campaigns such as the Expo 2008 in Saragossa, Spain, the Incredible India in Japan ( in Sep., 2008), to name only a few. Over the years, the concept of an eco-friendly vehicle like the E-rick has flourished around the world. Such vehicles have a presence in 43 countries on all 5 continents.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:39   #2
BANNED

Though it looks bad in terms of its fit and finish, if it could be made effective, it would be a boon.
Any details of the ownership norms, the rates and the charging points and their rates?
Old 10th August 2010, 18:48   #3
BHPian

its a cabin fitted electric bicycle, cabin is not at all looking good, comfort wise and safety wise also. and more over, passengers will get drenched in rain nicely.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:48   #4
BHPian

This initiative rather than being an article to modify the city is probably another way to corrupt some money of the moolah designated for this Commonwealth games!!

Even if they just wanted ,they could have modified the present running ricks with a battery and motor setup.
Sometime ago i even thought of a possible design , but seems its a bit late!!

And what bout the Headlights for night??

Last edited by don_carmaster : 10th August 2010 at 19:49.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am so happy to see the wheels in this one. Atleast these guys will think twice before making sharp and sudden moves and distrub traffic. I hope these are implemented in other cities as well. Compulsarily.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:17   #6
BHPian

www.erick.co.in

Their website says that this e-rick is a replacement for the hand cart rick's plying in the capital. When compared to them, these are a huge leap forward. The website also is updated with a few nice snaps.

So we are replacing the age old hand pulled rickshawallas with the modern electric rick - the petrol/LPG ricks are to stay for the time being.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a laid back driving for the driver & the passengers has to be seated in cramp. No windshield will attract all the dust & pollution to both driver & passenger & not to mention the water during the rain. Anyway, one good step is appreciated than nothing at all. Hope there's improvement made on this one in future.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:54   #8
BHPian

a few more pictures, courtesy: erick's official website, ECO-ACTIVATE

considering that it's a replacement to the traditional tricycles, it's a big step forward, hats off to the people involved!! Hope they do not disappear off the roads after the games.

Love the leg room @ the rear!!
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Rickshaw launched in Delhi!-thumb1_big.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by raamki : 10th August 2010 at 21:03.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki
Love the leg room @ the rear!!
These ones are looking much better than the Vodafone launch. They could've considered a floor beneath the driver's seat too in order to avoid the mud & slush during the rain. Yes, the green one is looking more beautiful & seem to have more leg room for passenger. But a wind shield is must.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I would want to see where this is at after the Commonwealth Games are over. But, electric ricks are the order of the day in a sea of rickety, old, noisy and polluting ricks today.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I would want to see where this is at after the Commonwealth Games are over. But, electric ricks are the order of the day in a sea of rickety, old, noisy and polluting ricks today.
This would be a nostalgic old school ride (coupled with new tech) for the foreigners, but for the Delhiites it would be a pain as they would have the cycle-rickshaws, electric-rickshaws & auto-rickshaws (in ascending order of speed) to bear on the road.

Coupled with this the price of the rickshaw is INR 1.5 lacs (more costlier than Bajaj or TVS auto minus the permit). Thank you Ms. Sheila Dixit for providing costly mode of living to people who barely manage 100 bucks a day. Or probably these would be managed by DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) with Govt. appointed drivers (in complete formals to drive a rickshaw), & there would be special DTC rickshaw charging depots with regular power supply (in all parts of Delhi ).

I somehow wonder how few people can manage good image despite scam taint/ allegations. I think the Honourable Madam CM should try to finish off the pending CWG work, rather than posing for few snaps trying to imitate waving like world's one of most powerful leader (Ms. Sonia Gandhi) on a regular basis. At least it would bring few laurels to our country, as compared to the Dragon Land who stole the limelight by organising the Olympics.

I am sorry for my bashing thread.

But, no doubt these are a good initiative to replace the autos if the Govt. is really serious. I wish these were also powered by solar cells (as an alternative charging option) & no doubt this concept could be applied to other metros as well.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Man, these would be terrible from the POV of passenger safety. More so considering that you'd have drivers possessing the same driving traits as the current crop. It doesn't look like it would take much to topple one of these & I shudder to think of the fate of the person inside should one of these get nudged by even a small car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
But, electric ricks are the order of the day in a sea of rickety, old, noisy and polluting ricks today.
Well, the entire fleet in Delhi run on CNG so they really don't contribute to the pollution as such.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:30   #13
BHPian

I completely agree with Suman. From the looks of it they look ready to topple any moment.

I hope the ingenious drivers of these new age rickshaws do not add a bench and ply loaded to the brim with 6-8 school kids.

SM
Old 11th August 2010, 12:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, the entire fleet in Delhi run on CNG so they really don't contribute to the pollution as such.
I meant across the country!
Old 11th August 2010, 12:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks very nice and practical and prevents pollution too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks