Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 11:11   #1
BHPian

BS-IV Trucks

Hi Guys,

From Apr-01, 2010, the government implemented BS-IV norms in the country and till date no BS-IV truck has been launched by any manufacturer. I wonder why the government and the industry is playing games and forcing the customers to go for unlawful methods if they want a truck in the 13 metros where the norms are implemented.

In Jun-10, the CEO of Tata Motors CV division proudly announced in a SIAM meeting, on being asked the same question, that 17 new BS-IV models will be launched from the company in the next 3 months. Till date no model has been launched.

Although I know that only 2-3% sales in 5-49t truck category is from these cities but these 2-3% also translate to certain numbers. This year the total volume expected in this category is 300,000 units from Jan-Dec and around 225,000 from Apr-Dec period. 2-3% of this number would translate to 5-6K numbers which is not less.

What are the views of the team bhpians?
Old 29th December 2010, 11:47   #2
BANNED

Re: BS-IV Trucks

I think there was some slippage in the trucks. So the BS norms for them are delayed (correct me if I am wrong).

I have a query what will BS4 trucks do when they often get a BS(-4) diet. Until adulteration of fuels is taken care of all norms are of no value.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparbansal View Post
Hi Guys,

From Apr-01, 2010, the government implemented BS-IV norms in the country and till date no BS-IV truck has been launched by any manufacturer. I wonder why the government and the industry is playing games and forcing the customers to go for unlawful methods if they want a truck in the 13 metros where the norms are implemented.

In Jun-10, the CEO of Tata Motors CV division proudly announced in a SIAM meeting, on being asked the same question, that 17 new BS-IV models will be launched from the company in the next 3 months. Till date no model has been launched.

Although I know that only 2-3% sales in 5-49t truck category is from these cities but these 2-3% also translate to certain numbers. This year the total volume expected in this category is 300,000 units from Jan-Dec and around 225,000 from Apr-Dec period. 2-3% of this number would translate to 5-6K numbers which is not less.

What are the views of the team bhpians?
I believe the 3 new trucks launched from the 'Prima' stable, the 31 Tonne Tipper and the 40 and 49 Tonne haulers fitted with the ISBE engine are BS IV compliant.
As for ALL, Even the newly launched 'U' trucks are only BS III compliant as of now and according to sources within ALL, BS IV trucks are a good 18 months away.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Most truck manufacturers are still selling BS-II trucks and mini trucks in tier-II cities and towns.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think there was some slippage in the trucks. So the BS norms for them are delayed (correct me if I am wrong).

I have a query what will BS4 trucks do when they often get a BS(-4) diet. Until adulteration of fuels is taken care of all norms are of no value.
Norms for BS-III for Rest of India were delayed by six months on account of non -availability of BS-III fuel. BS-IV was implemented on Apr 1, 2010 itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
I believe the 3 new trucks launched from the 'Prima' stable, the 31 Tonne Tipper and the 40 and 49 Tonne haulers fitted with the ISBE engine are BS IV compliant.
As for ALL, Even the newly launched 'U' trucks are only BS III compliant as of now and according to sources within ALL, BS IV trucks are a good 18 months away.
I agree with you that Tata Prima Range is BS-IV compliant. But mainly the trucks sold in these cities are 5-16t trucks where BS-IV is not available.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th December 2010 at 01:07. Reason: Please use multi quote and edit buttons rather than making back to back posts.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Quote:
I agree with you that Tata Prima Range is BS-IV compliant. But mainly the trucks sold in these cities are 5-16t trucks where BS-IV is not available.
AFAIK 31T definetely is not available in BSIV, as they are mostly operated in mines only.Even the 40and 49T trailors are still to migrate to BS IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Most truck manufacturers are still selling BS-II trucks and mini trucks in tier-II cities and towns.
The BSII variants are almost liquidated, though they are very few stocks are available.

Quote:
Norms for BS-III for Rest of India were delayed by six months on account of non -availability of BS-III fuel. BS-IV was implemented on Apr 1, 2010 itself
Norms were put in place only from Oct'1st.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:39   #7
BHPian

A little question here, will the BS-IV trucks be running on CRDI system or they will be having something like TATA Indica turbomax has to comply with BS-IV ?
Old 29th December 2010, 20:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

As of now even the Prima range sold by TML is not all BSIV, though BSIV compliance is available if the customer wants, as these trucks are also meant for export. But all the engines in the Prima range are not just Euro IV but also Euro V ready.

Are the neptune engines of ALL Euro IV or Euro V compliant??
Old 30th December 2010, 10:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Are the neptune engines of ALL Euro IV or Euro V compliant??
Same Status. Euro IV compliant and protected for Euro V.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
A little question here, will the BS-IV trucks be running on CRDI system or they will be having something like TATA Indica turbomax has to comply with BS-IV ?
Keeping Indian market in mind, Cummins has only recently come out with non-CRDI, purely mechanical BS-III version of its popular B 5.9 engine. It is being touted as a major achievement by the Company since in Europe Cummins had to take recourse to CRDI technology in order to achieve Euro-III emission standard. Cummins still uses CRDI for BS-IV engines.

90% of CV sales in India take place in non-metropolitan areas and hence, effectively speaking, India has only recently shifted to BS-III as far as the CV sector is concerned. For BS-IV territories, due to court and transport deptt. regulations, the trend is towards CNG rather than diesel.

Last edited by directinjection : 30th December 2010 at 16:46.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, as mentioned by DI, before october, BSII still ruled the roost in the CV market, only a few BSIII versions were being sold. And I imagine they were mostly for the city buses.

Which CV engine manufacturer's have resorted to CRDi to meet the Euro III challenge??
Old 30th December 2010, 19:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Which CV engine manufacturer's have resorted to CRDi to meet the Euro III challenge??
Its not necessary for the technology to be a common rail to meet BSIII.
The most intresting part is whether it is rotary(with EDC) or inline pump(mechanical). The H6ETK, which was intially found in 3116 is one such engine which meets BSIII without any electronics involved.
This engine is a big success and AL wants to cash it with that.
A row of products with the engine is launched - 1616T, 3116 haulage,2516 haulage(a replacement model of successful 2214) in trucks and Viking and Cheetah in bus segment.
But though ALL also have a CRS engine in BSIII platform found in U-4923,U-4023.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:04   #13
BANNED

I think PD is preferred to CRDI in large engines!
Old 30th December 2010, 22:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think PD is preferred to CRDI in large engines!
You mean Pump Duse.
I have not heard of this in CV.
Even in Cars except VW no one use(d). Even VW is coming out of that. I am sure you will be knowing this.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

I dont think PD was ever used in CVs, and even CRDi has come into play as an easy way to meet the emission challenges.

Both rotary and inline pumps can be integrated with ECUs, you cant say that inline pumps means mechanical control, though that is generally the case. I think even cummins still uses inline pupms on some of the engines it supplies to TATA, I think the 235hp engine employs an inline pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks