Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 16:58   #76
Zed
BHPian

Re: Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
My Pleasure!

the management just said that the price difference will not be two digit percentage hike, i.e., it'll be less than 10%.

If this is indeed the pricing strategy DICV is likely to leap-frog the rest of the M&HCV newbies to pose the most significant challenge to TML & AL.

From another perspective TML and AL (and Eicher to some extent), with their distribution & service network + product development capable of delivering products as per market requirements, may be better placed to ward off the threat from DICV than the rest of the pack.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5

Tata must speed up the launch of its newly developed range of LCVs/ICVs/MCVs to take on BB. Prima too must be launched across its entire range. Tata is notorious for delaying new vehicle launches & will need to display a lot more aggression, if it has to survive in the long run. It can't survive on JLR profits forever.
Old 6th March 2012, 08:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera555 View Post
When are they going to start deliveries? Or has it already started selling?
Also, are there any small Tempos in their model range which can compete TATA 1109 / similar?
You will have 1014 to compete with your Eicher / TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
DICVs India specific branding was indicative of an aggressive price strategy supported by high local content during launch. ....

If the Marketing folks can convince potential customers about better value and longer life of these trucks & their aggregates, an assumption based on Hanmusts post, a 10 - 15% price premium over TML \ AL may be an achievable target.
Not just a new brand but look at the power train options. Spot on at the indian industry. No fancy number of 300hp for a 49T and even the available 280hp is limited only to tractor and the haulage is restricted to 230hp.
This shows that they have understood India's requirements. These power train options is the right trade off between existing India's developing economy and need for high end transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
My Pleasure!

DICV is bringing around 2000 truck operators around the country in a week to show case their new trucks. Four of my friends from Kerala who are fleet owners have attended the function yesterday and when they asked about the price the management just said that the price difference will not be two digit percentage hike, i.e., it'll be less than 10%.
Some more excerpts from the show.
The show will be there till 7th of March and was also told that similar event will happen in major cities soon.
It was mentioned that there will be price premium of a single digit number(max9%) and most importantly these products will have a double digit better fuel efficiency compared to existing trucks (min 10%). I mentioned as min 10%, as even that will have a great USP, if at all realized.

With all this players getting inroads, the TIV for the M&HCV is likely to grow only at 6-7% for the next coming as against LCV growth of 20%.
With this the game should be a interesting watch.

Now with Daimler on-board, the only major player away from Indian soil is Paccar!

And here is the first truck transported - a 2523 on a 4928.
Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-image2344.jpg

Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-image2347.jpg

Last edited by Ashley2 : 6th March 2012 at 08:47.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 12:13   #79
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Not just a new brand but look at the power train options. Spot on at the indian industry. ...These power train options is the right trade off between existing India's developing economy and need for high end transportation.

xxxxxxx

Now with Daimler on-board, the only major player away from Indian soil is Paccar!

And here is the first truck transported - a 2523 on a 4928.
Attachment 897854

Attachment 897855
My comment regarding benchmarking the big two was to highlight the same.
The right products at the right price for the Market.

PACCARS current India strategy seems to be centred on sourcing and engineering\IT support from India rather than product development.

Its possible that the work being done in Brazil with the new plant and products customized for that market will form the basis for their foray into India. As a general observation PACCAR in the Americas and the DAF brand that it owns in Europe have been very focussed in the markets they operate. And I do not mean just in terms of products but in terms of conducting business. The are now in that steep learning curve that Volvo and Daimler went through many years ago when they adopted a global sales strategy. One can speculate that it will take a while for the PACCAR to get to speed in the BRIC region.
Old 7th March 2012, 16:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Not just a new brand but look at the power train options. Spot on at the indian industry. No fancy number of 300hp for a 49T and even the available 280hp is limited only to tractor and the haulage is restricted to 230hp.This shows that they have understood India's requirements. These power train options is the right trade off between existing India's developing economy and need for high end transportation.
Could you please explain the logic a bit more in detail. I could not follow you completely on this topic.

Quote:
With all this players getting inroads, the TIV for the M&HCV is likely to grow only at 6-7% for the next coming as against LCV growth of 20%.
With this the game should be a interesting watch.
Very true. AL has missed the LCV/ICV segment till now and I feel they have lost quite a big chunk of the market because of no presence! Let us hope they can catch-up with their new launches in the LCV/ICV segments.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
PACCARS current India strategy seems to be centred on sourcing and engineering\IT support from India rather than product development.

Its possible that the work being done in Brazil with the new plant and products customized for that market will form the basis for their foray into India. As a general observation PACCAR in the Americas and the DAF brand that it owns in Europe have been very focussed in the markets they operate. And I do not mean just in terms of products but in terms of conducting business. The are now in that steep learning curve that Volvo and Daimler went through many years ago when they adopted a global sales strategy. One can speculate that it will take a while for the PACCAR to get to speed in the BRIC region.
There are rumours of PACCAR taking over AMW. We saw their truck displayed at the AutoExpo too. So I would say they will not stay away from India for too long.

PACCAR has already invested in a plant in Brazil. It should get streamlined by 2013-14. So, if the AMW tie-up gets going then they cover B & I from BRIC!!

Is BharatBenz only for India or are they planning to promote this brand across APAC?
Old 8th March 2012, 11:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Could you please explain the logic a bit more in detail. I could not follow you completely on this topic.
What Volvo trucks has done. With FM and FH series they claim the highest powered trucks in India but are not in the common league and only in the Niche segment.
Mercedes Benz also when launched their buses came with the same bang. spec to spec higher than Volvo and claimed better.
But here in the case of BB, this was not done and they have chosen the right power train options (In Indian Context).

With this I have question in mind.
Mahindra Navistar who by all means are good, wrt price required power and a good dealer touch points are not able to make significant in roads into CV space.
Understand FE is major issue but still mahindra is more aggressive unlike AL/TM which should improve upon the image and product.

Though its going to be a tough task for established players to retain the numbers, what will the case of smaller players like Mahindra, Man, AMW, VE - Here I meant smaller players purely in the context of numbers they sell.

Quote:
There are rumours of PACCAR taking over AMW. We saw their truck displayed at the AutoExpo too. So I would say they will not stay away from India for too long.

PACCAR has already invested in a plant in Brazil. It should get streamlined by 2013-14. So, if the AMW tie-up gets going then they cover B & I from BRIC!!

Is BharatBenz only for India or are they planning to promote this brand across APAC?
Paccar in my view will not take over AMW. Rather it may be only a Technical partnership / dealerships sharing.
I too had the question of export front of BB. Will the brand be accepted as such condition(As Bharat pertains to India) in other countries?

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th March 2012 at 02:37. Reason: corrected typo on request
Old 9th March 2012, 18:56   #82
Zed
BHPian

Agree with Ashleys comments - From a strategic point of view the only real synergy between AMW And PACCAR is the engine supplier - Cummins. All DAF LF series (medium duty) and a part of the CF series (Medium & Heavy) are powered by cummins in Europe and other parts of the globe where these are sold. Besides AMWs cab with its Chinese roots is of questionable value to PACCAR.

Repeating what Ive stated in an earlier post - the Big 2 (Eicher probably hangs hangs in there as well in 3rd spot) in India are probably better positioned to deal with the BharatBenz threat as compared to the rest of the CV pack.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:39   #83
BHPian

Bharat Benz dealership getting ready in Bangalore

Was doing some truck hunting on Sunday (11th March 2012) and to my surprise found the 'Bharat Benz Dealership' getting ready on the Bangalore outskirts after Nelmangala on the Tumkur highway.

Earlier this was the Mahindra Navistar dealership from Trident. But don't know why did they changed it from Mahindra Navistar to Bharat Benz. Mahindra Navistar seem to be doing good in the Karnataka market as well. There were 2 trucks of Mahindra Navistar still lying in this dealership.

The Bharat Benz showroom has been completely renovated and looks impressive just like the 'Ashok Leyaland Small Commercial Vehicle' Showroom near Yeshvantpur station in Bangalore...

Though the Bharat Benz trucks have not yet come On-road. Bharat Benz seem to have a massive plan to enter and conquer the trucking market in India. Hope to catch some trucks soon...

Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-144785.jpg

Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-144786.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2012 at 19:24. Reason: Hi, (1) Please use our attachment upload system (2) No linking to personal sites please. Thanks.
kadri007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 23:26   #84
BHPian

With all the "Big Boys" of Commercial Vehicle industry moving into India, its going to be a repeat of what happened in the Car Industry a decade back - Intense Competition, Great Products and naturally amble choice for the Customer .
It will be a Truck and Bus Decade indeed !!!
Old 27th May 2012, 10:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

2/3 of trucks sold in INDIA are TATA trucks

Trucks and buses are bread and butter business of TML and profits are much more heftier than car business.

If they earn a rupee in car business, they earn 5.6 rs in bus and truck.

TML has been observing the work of BHARAT BENZ MD Marc with a keen eye and are taking the competition very seriously.

Bharat Benz plans to provide roadside assistance in flat 2 hours on Golden Quadrilateral as of now.

They have spent 6 years before the launch and have worked to minutest details as you would expect from Germans ( Have studied things like why windscreen breaks on a stone hit ).

All above details are as per what i read from FORBES magazine May 2012 which has cover title - HIGHWAY ROBBERY and a truck in background, its a must read guys.

P.S :This is the first time i took forbes mag in my hand because of obvious reasons

If they suceed, i hope they make things easier and life better for the truck drivers who are underpaid, overworked and earn the least respect from authorities and public in general.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:30   #86
BHPian

Any images for the interiors, have not seen any where online. Please post a few images.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:02   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BB is only for India and as such since exports are not planned for the immediate future, it doesnt matter. anyways it wont be difficult to rebrand the trucks for other local markets in asia
Old 11th September 2012, 19:16   #88
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the deliveries of BharatBenz has commenced, finally. I saw around 4 of them heading as a convoy towards Tumkur, on the NICE road this evening (saw them between the Tumkur Road and Magadi Road exits of NICE road).

Some pics:
Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-img_5666.jpg

Daimler Trucks now known as "BharatBenz" in India! EDIT: Launch details on pg5-img_5678.jpg
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 10:45   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Not just a new brand but look at the power train options. Spot on at the indian industry. No fancy number of 300hp for a 49T and even the available 280hp is limited only to tractor and the haulage is restricted to 230hp.
I can understand the logic behind using a 230 Hp engine for a tipper. However, using a 230 HP engine for a haulage is really amazing. IMO, it is seriously going to affect the FE.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:31   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
I can understand the logic behind using a 230 Hp engine for a tipper. However, using a 230 HP engine for a haulage is really amazing. IMO, it is seriously going to affect the FE.
The models of trucks Bharat Benz is bringing to India seems to be from their South American port folio. Not the latest from Europe. India being a cost sensitive market, they are careful to offer models with limited frills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks