Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 19:03   #1
BHPian

Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched

Mahindra has recently launched a passenger version of their 'not so popular' GIO, powered by the single pot 440 CC Kohler engine pumping out 9.5 bhp and 2.2 kgm of torque. The vehicle looks like more like the piaggio APE passenger carrier than the Magic IRIS. I'm attaching the photos here.

Also learnt that they are developing a loadbody vehicle on a similar platform which can double up as a load carrier as and when required. Not sure how the permits and certification issues for such a vehicle can be taken care though..
Attached Images

Last edited by SAE40 in veins : 11th March 2011 at 19:09.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:44   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched

Mahindra's are leading example when it comes to reusing/retuning reources.
Here they have reused almost 75% of ALFA Champion range, just front panel & suspention was newly required.

GIO loading was not sold as it hyped. Following competitors (0.5 Tonner) are presents in the market already & This version will decide future of GIO in india.

Ape 0.5 Tonner (4 Wheel)
Tata Penguin (Yet to be launched)
Ape 3 Wheel 0.5 Tonner
Mahindra Alfa
Atul 3 Wheel 0.5 Tonner

Lets see how it goes! Anyways couples of questions:

1. What RTO passing limit for passengers?
2. Is it having steering as GIO?
Old 11th March 2011, 20:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I wish my eyes lose sight temporarily when Mahindra launches a new vehicle. I am not able to see those horribly styled, ridiculously ugly face (and grille) of the vehicles of this great Indian company.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 20:04   #4
BHPian

Looks good. Finally seems like a good competition for the good old Bajaj auto rikshaw. In white it looks like a golf car/cart.
Old 11th March 2011, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Looks good. Finally seems like a good competition for the good old Bajaj auto rikshaw. In white it looks like a golf car/cart.
The real competition for the good ol' Bajaj Autorickshaw is now from Ape City. The new passenger version of the Piaggio Ape (named "City") is small, and looks very similar to the Bajaj rick. The advantage of the ape is that its run on Diesel.

Here in Kerala, Diesel Ricks are in fashion, and most petrol guys have 'upgraded' to diesels. I think the GIO Passenger version will be a hit here - the GIO flopped big time, though.
Old 12th March 2011, 07:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, this seems like a fusion of the Mahindra 3wheeler and the Mahindra Gio, will squarely lie in the auto market.

Unlike the Magic, it doesn't have doors and full rain protection either. This is just a 4-wheeled rickshaw.

@binai
Bajaj also comes out with the diesel option for all its ricks. In my city almost all ricks from Piaagio, Bajaj and Mahindra are all diesel fueled. Overall, the Bajaj city rick is still more popular, thanks to a more refined engine. The Ape city still vibrates way too much.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Bajaj also comes out with the diesel option for all its ricks. In my city almost all ricks from Piaagio, Bajaj and Mahindra are all diesel fueled. Overall, the Bajaj city rick is still more popular, thanks to a more refined engine. The Ape city still vibrates way too much.
The Bajaj Diesel rick has not been as successful as the Ape or the Mahindra 3-Wheeler, here in Kerala. There is one imposter called "Atul", which looks exactly like an APE.

Its been real long since I saw a diesel Bajaj in my area. I found the diesel Bajaj ricks very uncomfortable - the engine is too powerful for its size, and these guys drive these ricks like crazy.
Old 12th March 2011, 09:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its been real long since I saw a diesel Bajaj in my area. I found the diesel Bajaj ricks very uncomfortable - the engine is too powerful for its size, and these guys drive these ricks like crazy.
Are you sure about power coz the earlier Bajaj Diesels were powered by a single cylinder kubota engine which had around 6 bhp while the Greaves Garuda(the only diesel rick at that time) had a 6.5 bhp Greaves Lombardini engine.

If it's the 445 you're refering to, It's actually very difficult to find one on road here in Chennai. Can u share the engine specs pls.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:16   #9

Re: Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched

Mahindra Gio in Kerala
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched-imaj002.jpg  

Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched-imaj004.jpg  

antlerroad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 18:11   #10
BHPian

Why is the entry to front passenger seat restricted? If the permit is only for 3 persons (like in Tata Magic Iris) why have the seat in the first place. They could have removed and kept some space for luggage.

Also any idea how it manages the inclines in Kerala?

Last edited by DWind : 12th June 2013 at 18:17.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:23   #11
BHPian

I guess these 4 wheeled ricks would be safer than the 3 wheeled ones, to the passengers and others as well. Due to their lower turning radius the 3 wheeled ones sometimes are a threat to others on the road. I personally hope these 3 wheeled ones would be replaced by 4 wheeled ones.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:54   #12
BHPian

AUTO TAXI aka TATA Magic IRIS is selling like hot cakes in Kerala. Mahindra Gio has virtually disappeared from the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra GIO Passenger Version Launched-914133_10151371544526046_1463360870_o.jpg  

ranjithrnath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

And black/yellow auto taxi colour combo too.
Hope they replace whole rickshaws in 5 years. Good grace the ugly pugly Gio is replaced by the Iris.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is the most hideous thing on the road. What was the designer smoking when he designed this. Have you seen its truck version? It does not even look balanced, let alone its performance on road.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
And black/yellow auto taxi colour combo too.
THIS ONE?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks