Team-BHP - Trivandrum gets back its sorely missed Double-Deckers!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Trivandrum gets back its sorely missed Double-Deckers! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/98074-trivandrum-gets-back-its-sorely-missed-double-deckers-2.html)

Nostalgia

At onepoint(late70s/early80s) KSRTC had upto 10 running. Routes included Sasthamangalam, Perrorkada, MedicalCollege (via Kesavdasapuram) etc.

Therewas brieflyalso the "Tractor Trailor" vestibuled buses in the late 70s/80s. Thought that was a novelty until I landed up in Pune for a visit and found DOUBLE DECK TRACTOR TRAILOR buses:). At that time PUne also had a BOM train running with Double Decker coaches as well (I think it was the morning Sinhagadexpress"

But the double deckers of KSRTC was an icon. Now I think they have started one in EKM also (Angamaly-Aluvabyepass-Edapally-Vytilla -Thopumpady).Waiting to travel with my kid o thatone.I am sure he will love it.

That's good news. As a kid I did enjoy many rides in them and they used to be awe-inspiring. Plan to take another ride next time I am in TVM, and this time with my 6 yr old son.

The first set of Double deckers which were introduced in Trivandrum and Cochin in the late fifties were the Routmaster(UK) buses which had a fluid drive transmission and trafficators,there were ten buses in all .The last of them did service in the 1989 or so.Those buses were sadly sold as scrap years ago
Then in 1991 KSRTC got 2 modern Double deckers from Mumbai and they did service for 15years when the permit expired(bus number was TR666 and TR555(not sure)
These 2 buses are still there in the Papanamcode depot

The TVM double-deckers were fantastic, used to go on them when I was a kid. The Sasthamangalam DD used to keep getting hit on the roof by the low-hanging branches of the roads on the road from Museum to Vellayambalam, and that itself used to be quite fun for a kid! The half-cab cabs were the original British Leyland types with the original Leyland logo and I remember the chassis used to be imported by Ashok Leyland.

Bombay has no sense of history, they have phased out almost all the DDs, claiming that they are fuel guzzlers! Now that Metros and Monorails and flyovers are coming up all over the place, I find that it will be impossible for DDs to ply on most routes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2285492)
The TVM double-deckers were fantastic, used to go on them when I was a kid. The Sasthamangalam DD used to keep getting hit on the roof by the low-hanging branches of the roads on the road from Museum to Vellayambalam, and that itself used to be quite fun for a kid!

Ya, same here. Used to visit my uncle who was in TVM during vaccations. His house was next to Sasthamangalam junction from where the service starts. Service times were known to me and used to sneak out of the house just to see the DD parked beside the road before start of each service. Used to love sitting on the front seats on top level seeing puny cars and other buses below and like HVK and few others say love the sound the roof makes when it rubs past tree branches. My grandmom who used to be with me on those trips used to call me crazy for that :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay99 (Post 2285453)
The first set of Double deckers which were introduced in Trivandrum and Cochin in the late fifties were the Routmaster(UK) buses which had a fluid drive transmission and trafficators,there were ten buses in all .The last of them did service in the 1989 or so.

I grew up during those times when theold ones were still active. The Sathamangalam route is the one in most peoples memory (due to the fact that when the second set of 2 was introduced- this was the main and may be only route),but there were buses during those oldtimes to Peroorkada, Medical College, Shangumughom and Pravachambalam as well . There was only one conductor then. so at intermediate stops half thefun was tostand on thewide foodboard or narrows tairway, purchase theticket from the conductor and then clmb up. The footboard of the old buses were really wide.

Spotted a similar bus near Telk, Angamali yesterday. Destination was Angamali and it was operated as an Ordinary service, bus is from Angamali depot.

Never knew double deckers are in service from EKM too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjithin (Post 3427390)
Never knew double deckers are in service from EKM too.

KSRTC has 2 Double-Decker buses - RN766 (the one you saw) and TR666. The latter is the old bus, which has been refurbished and is on offer for contract trips. The former, is the new bus, body built by Antony Garage, Mumbai, used for regular service on Angamaly-Thoppumpadi-Kalamassery-Thoppumpadi-Angamaly route, AFAIK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 3427435)
KSRTC has 2 Double-Decker buses - RN766 (the one you saw) and TR666. The latter is the old bus, which has been refurbished and is on offer for contract trips. The former, is the new bus, body built by Antony Garage, Mumbai, used for regular service on Angamaly-Thoppumpadi-Kalamassery-Thoppumpadi-Angamaly route, AFAIK.

KeSRTC actually has three road worthy Double Deckers - TR666, RN765 and RN766.

TR666 is in Trivandrum operating "heritage" contract trips. RN765 is also in Trivandrum (City Depot) - not sure what route it runs on. Then is RN766, homed at Ankamaly and operates Ankamaly-Thoppumpady-Ankamaly-Vyttila-Ankamaly-Thoppumpady-Ankamaly.

Any pics of the old bus?

Quote:

Originally Posted by performance plumbing (Post 3428095)
Any pics of the old bus?

Here you go:

Name:  2rmrxp0.png
Views: 7863
Size:  913.9 KB

Image courtesy: Malayala Manorama daily

Wish they get these double-deckers back in Bangalore too. Atleast to ply on the outer ring road, instead of the ill-maintained trailer buses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadguy25 (Post 3428178)
Wish they get these double-deckers back in Bangalore too. Atleast to ply on the outer ring road, instead of the ill-maintained trailer buses.

Bangalore will get the Vestibule bus, not the double-deckers. Hope some one will introduce low floor double deckers in India in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 3427781)
KeSRTC actually has three road worthy Double Deckers - TR666, RN765 and RN766.

TR666 is in Trivandrum operating "heritage" contract trips. RN765 is also in Trivandrum (City Depot) - not sure what route it runs on. Then is RN766, homed at Ankamaly and operates Ankamaly-Thoppumpady-Ankamaly-Vyttila-Ankamaly-Thoppumpady-Ankamaly.

RN765 operates from East Fort to Shankumugham Beach. This was one of the old routes as well. The old buses (with the Road Masters) were named if I remember correctly DD1 DD2 etc...till DD10. The most famous were the East Fort Peroorkada which ran the "Raja Veedhi" stretch from Palayam to Kowadiar and the East Fort Sasthamangalam which was also a very popular route. Will never tire of my memories riding these buses in the Kowdiar Palayam stretch in the 1970s/1980s.

RN 766 can now be renamed the "Shopping Mall " express.:OT Links Gold Souk, Oberon and Lullu Malls with Aluva and Ankamaly. Most useful. And the service seems to be fairly regular.

Thanks Silversteed. The HYD double deckers had a very similar body style. I guess they are gone too now.

I feel only BOM, DEL, Kolkatta and a few more ply double deckers now.