Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2015, 20:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Description of Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I would suggest checking the belt tension, idler pulley, and compressor clutch before putting money down on a new compressor.
Would need a mechanic to check all that. Hence went to Shanoo, he however asked me to start the car and switch on the AC. He was seeing the coldness of the AC pipe to see the amount of cooling and said that the compressor isn't able to cool properly and hence the car isn't cooling in traffic too.

I gave him your reference and he immediately recollected and was talking about team-bhp and how lots of other people had come to him thanks to your this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
No point in putting a new comp as the car will be "dead" after three years.
True to that, not sure how long will I keep the car, also now the summers are almost gone from NCR.

Quote:
Does the compressor clutch disengage or the refrigerant flow is insufficient?
I feel that the compressor clutch disengages as I can see the compressor stops working during bumper to bumper traffic. It just blows air like a fan in this condition.
Old 4th August 2015, 21:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Description of Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Would need a mechanic to check all that. Hence went to Shanoo, he however asked me to start the car and switch on the AC. He was seeing the coldness of the AC pipe to see the amount of cooling and said that the compressor isn't able to cool properly and hence the car isn't cooling in traffic too.
tanwaramit
That he was checking the coldness of the AC pipe to see if the compressor is working is by itself not unreasonable - many do this as a sanity check.

Do note my OP mentioned:
Quote:
1. Will try and subtly upsell you. Be aware.
Hence the 'suggestion' to get him to take things step by step. Putting a new high capacity condensor - will mask the smaller reasons - of why the older configuration was not cooling much.

There is an outside chance - however slim, that fixing minor issues, may achieve a decent level of cooling -though perhaps not an igloo effect.

The worst case - you get to spend maybe 100-200 in labor charges for the trouble. That's 1.3% of a brand new Sanden compressor + clutch which can cost 15K.
So in the best case, if you avoid an expense of 15K - why not?
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 01:22   #18
BHPian

Re: Friendly Neighbourhood Garage - Shanoo & Irfan, Unique Automobiles (Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I feel that the compressor clutch disengages as I can see the compressor stops working during bumper to bumper traffic. It just blows air like a fan in this condition.
Clutch disengagement can be felt by
  1. An audible click of the compressor cutting off.
  2. Sudden increase in available power, as if suddenly the handbrake has been released.
My Zen acts cranky in stop-go situations with the AC on in the peak summers. I believe it has to do with the condenser not cooling the gas well which trips the AC and does all sorts of mischief. I have learnt to live with that.

A worn compressor however will simply be unable to do anything at low RPMs. At high RPMs the cooling will increase. In stop-go traffic once cooling declines, try revving the engine (while slipping the clutch if needed). A weak compressor should respond to this. Alternatively, hook up an AC gas recharge line and check the high and low end pressure difference. That will give you some concrete information to act on.

Pay a visit to Quick Car AC in Lajpat Nagar. They too are experts and a well established business with a long history. Let's hear their verdict and then decide.

Quote:

brand new Sanden compressor + clutch which can cost 15K.
So in the best case, if you avoid an expense of 15K - why not?
Mr. Bhowmik, Sanden compressors are available for much less. I got my 800 airconditioned for 16k a couple of years back with a brand new Sanden kit. That said, a compressor replacement is warranted only after a complete diagnosis is done.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sanden compressors are available for much less. I got my 800 airconditioned for 16k a couple of years back with a brand new Sanden kit.
Shanoo/Irfan are one of the authorized outlets (if one were to believe them). Having said that the price can and indeed does change from one dealer to another.
So, it's important to do a price check before buying from a vendor.
Quote:
That said, a compressor replacement is warranted only after a complete diagnosis is done.
100% agree. This is an expensive part - and complete diagnosis to isolate the cause is essential.

Quote:
try revving the engine (while slipping the clutch if needed).
I think the V belt turns the compressor pulley anyway. Just revving the engine in neutral should be adequate to test the hypothesis. The power to the drivetrain is a different thing altogether. So I don't see any reason to slip the clutch.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 5th August 2015 at 10:58.
Old 5th August 2015, 11:12   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Pay a visit to Quick Car AC in Lajpat Nagar.
tanwaramit- A friend got the entire a/c system of his fabia replaced with a brand new one, from them. (he chose them after a lot of research). I too got the gas recharged for my car along with the usual cleaning of the related parts.
One can visit them for a second opinion.

Last edited by sinhead : 5th August 2015 at 11:14.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks BHPians for your inputs.

I will goto Quick Cool days, Lajpat Nagar sometime later.

The NCR weather has been pleasing, with heavy rains just a few mins back, the AC issue can be lived with for the time being.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks