Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 21:46   #16
BHPian

Re: A weekend DIY on Safari wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I don't find any reason why it would not work on alloys. It should be fine if you spray it after removing the clear coat which is present on the wheel. There is a tread somewhere in T-bhp which shows re-painted alloy, try digging it up.

Its fairly an easy DIY if you know the basics of painting, so go ahead and try it .
Outstanding DIY!

How did you get the shine on the wheels?

I've tried many times with com paint spray can and almost always end up with a dull, matt finish. I even used a separate clear coat can over the base coat, but still couldn't get the effect seen in your pics.

Chipped chrome is as good as no chrome. For green/oxidised chrome on logos etc, you can use BRASSO.
Old 26th August 2011, 11:28   #17
BHPian

@w0lf, I am still confused about the logo part. I will keep the outer portion of the logo in the original silver color and try to finish the logo with chrome sticker or carbon fiber sticker (either black or silver). Please share your thoughts.

@himavanth_m, You can order it online buddy.
Product

@JustCause, the dull finish you got might be due to the matt finish of your alloy. IMO, the matt finish will look good on alloys. If you really want to have gloss, then try primer on the alloy and sand it to smooth finish before you spray the paint. Try a layer of clear for additional gloss and protection.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the T badge chromed again, or should I try for Chrome stickers? Any leads to this would be helpful.
I seem to remember a metal polish called "Brasso" that was in the market till some years ago; not sure if it's still available. Try using it if you manage to get some.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the post by JustCause. Apologise for the repeated advice :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th August 2011 at 12:08.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:18   #19
BHPian

@comfortablynumb, thank you for the advice. I tried Brasso already and it did not help.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
@w0lf, I am still confused about the logo part. I will keep the outer portion of the logo in the original silver color and try to finish the logo with chrome sticker or carbon fiber sticker (either black or silver). Please share your thoughts.
LionX, IMO the logo will get lost in the rims if you go for a carbon fiber look as the rims are already dark grey. The chrome sticker will be one way to go to keep the logo from standing out.

Have you tried a combination of a rust remover and brass polisher for the restoration? You can use Brasso for the polishing. There doesn't seem to be too many rust removers around in India. I found this on the internet Rust Off, Thane, India - Offer-ID:2593768673. A product called Rust Off. You can give it a try.

If all else fails, you can always go to a car detailer. I doubt resorting just the logos will cost you much, but that will beat the purpose of a DIY project.
Old 26th August 2011, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Sorry, I meant to say to have the logo stand out.

I found the following chrome spray on ebay:
1. MULTI PURPOSE SPRAY PAINT DAILY USE ITEM CHROME COLOUR | eBay
2. SPRAY PAINT IN CANS - 400 ML-CHROME EFFECT (CHROME) | eBay
3. Original Chrome Metallic Spray Paint 8 Ounces 1010 Kryl (Rs. 1598)

Item 3 above looks promising. In any case, perhaps one of these will give you the finish that's eluding you so far.
w0lf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 16:55   #22
BHPian

@w0lf, thank you bro , I just ordered one. will update you once I receive it.
Old 26th August 2011, 17:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
@JustCause, the dull finish you got might be due to the matt finish of your alloy. IMO, the matt finish will look good on alloys. If you really want to have gloss, then try primer on the alloy and sand it to smooth finish before you spray the paint. Try a layer of clear for additional gloss and protection.
I also have metal rims & still cannot get a gloss type finish. The trick is to not use putty/primer as it will chip off in no time.

Overall, I would suggest to all readers that COM PAINT is one of the more durable rattle can auto paints I've used till date. I botched up a door panel touch up on my Alto leading to too much overspray on the surrounding area which had factory paint.

The paint held on for 18 months, over clearcoat! braving polish, rubbing compound & the bi-weekly wash & rub down.

A week back, I received my order of clear lacquer & COM-MERGE. I casually sprayed COM-MERGE on a dhoti-cloth & applied on the botched- up overspray. Voila! Com-Paint layer vanished, revealing my factory clearcoat. The area underneath was absolutely flawless. All I have now is a speck where the original scratch was there.

It it this quality that makes this paint suitable for rims. I painted my deeply scratched (metal was visible) rim 8 months ago with silky silver color & it still looks as good as new, even after bi monthly cleaning with an Oxalic acid based cleaner(Formula1 Wheel gold)

Disclaimer: I am an individual user of com-paint & am in no way affiliated to them.

Last edited by JustCause : 26th August 2011 at 17:30.
Old 28th August 2011, 08:17   #24
BHPian

The wheels are finished well with the new colour, LionX

I have tried ComPaint for bumper touch-ups before. I have used another version that does not include the paint, finisher and rubbing compound separately.

Just a thought, how are you able to not let the paint drip, especially while painting vertically?
synchromesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 16:13   #25
BHPian

@synchromesh, short strokes and very light coating might have helped. I was not confident at first, so tried spot spraying at a distance of around 1 feet. Once I was confident enough, shifted to short stroke.

This weekend update

Fitted the tyre on the rim and given a white paint treatment to the tyre letters. This is how it looks now,
A weekend DIY on Safari wheels-p1080815.jpg

With the hub, waiting for the chrome paint to arrive in order to finish the logo.
A weekend DIY on Safari wheels-p1080816.jpg

The White lettering is still in experiment mode in terms of durability, I have used 3 different methods for it,

1. Enamel paint ("BRIDGESTONE")
2. Sticker + Fevicol SR adhesive ("DUELER)
3. Exterior emulsion -weather proof ("H/T")

Will test the tyre for a month and lets see which one is more durable
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:27   #26
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good Work LionX. I feel the tyre letters should remain black for originality. But the painting work looks professional.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Good Work LionX. I feel the tyre letters should remain black for originality. But the painting work looks professional.
Yes you might be right, but I was a little skeptical about how the look will be as the car color is almost same as the wheel.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
@synchromesh, short strokes and very light coating might have helped. I was not confident at first, so tried spot spraying at a distance of around 1 feet. Once I was confident enough, shifted to short stroke.

The White lettering is still in experiment mode in terms of durability, I have used 3 different methods for it,

1. Enamel paint ("BRIDGESTONE")
2. Sticker + Fevicol SR adhesive ("DUELER)
3. Exterior emulsion -weather proof ("H/T")

Will test the tyre for a month and lets see which one is more durable
I have tried enamel paint on the tyres (Bridgestone 689, infact).
It stays for at least 5-6 months in good condition. Could fade out later depending on the kind of road you generally drive on.
Stickers may be short-lived, especially if the tyre wall gets rubbed on a stone/pavement. Trying out emulsion seems to be interesting.
Awaiting your subsequent post on the results.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:21   #29
BHPian

The enamel giving a tough time drying, might be because of the cold weather. Even after 4 days it is still not touch dry.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 22:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The enamel giving a tough time drying, might be because of the cold weather. Even after 4 days it is still not touch dry.
I am tempted to see the result when the tyres are on their job on the mighty muscular SUV a.k.a Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks