Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 22:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement

I've been thinking of replacing the fuel filter of my Swift diesel myself for some time now and I finally succeeded in converting thought to action.

The Runup
The first thing I do before any DIY is try to find out - What is the worst that could happen if things go wrong. This is accompanied by a lot of time spent simply peering under the hood at the part in question, and it related umblical cords to the engine. How is it attached, what else should I remove to gain access. This is accompanied by research on the internet, a lot of comparison of pictures.

The important thing is often figuring out how the part is attached to the car.

Some parts also need you to invest in the correct tool. In this case i had to buy a filter wrench.

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-tools-trade.jpg

Access
Unlike most Japanese engines access to the fuel filter in the Swift diesel is a little difficult. I found that I had to remove the air filter assembly out of the way. Removing the battery as well would free up much more space but I did not do that.

The filter is located just behind the air filter on the firewall. The water if fuel sensor is screwed onto the bottom of the filter indicated by the green arrow. Disconnect the sensor.

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-air-filter-removed-make-more-space.jpg

Fuel Filter Removal

1. Disconnect the wire of the Water in Fuel (WIF) sensor. This sensor is screwed to the bottom of the fuel filter and senses water in the diesel.

2. Place the wrench around the fuel filter and unscrew the filter. Place the wrench around the filter so that the wrench tightens around the filter when you move in the direction that loosens the filter. Once you have loosened the filter you can unscrew it by hand

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-placing-wrench.jpg

3. WIF (Water In fuel) sensor

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-water-fuel-wif-sensor.jpg

4. Unscrew the sensor from the bottom of the old filter and screw it into the new filter.

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-sensor-fitting-into-filter.jpg

DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement-new-filter-sensor.jpg

5. Screw the new fuel filter into the filter assembly BY HAND. Once you have tightened the filter as much as you can by hand use the wrench to tighten it further. Do not overtighten - a reasonable tightness without using any extra leverage is fine.

6. Attach the sensor wire.

7. Turn the key in the ignition. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just twist the key to ON position. The diesel pump works to build up the pressure in the fuel system in this position. Check the filter to spot any leaks - if there are any leaks tighten it a bit more.

8. Reattach the air filter assembly.

9. Make a final check for any loose nuts or parts. If everything is fine, start the engine and make a final check for any diesel leaking out from the filter area.

Caution - when screwing the fuel filter back on, take care to ensure that you do not strip any threads. This is a general DIY caution. The best way to ensure this is to tighten by hand initially. Till it approaches the point where it starts to get tight, the screw or nut should spin smoothly - if not chances are you make have the screw or nut on wrongly.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 25th November 2011 at 00:59.
shibujp is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 13:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st December 2011, 19:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great DIY but why would one want to replace a diesel filter themselves? To save on A.S.S. labour cost or just for kicks
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Good DIY.Pulling out the heavy battery,detaching the pipes,sensors & putting it all back in that cramped place is not the best job to do for people with just intereste. You need to have more than interest.Any special reason for taking up this task ?
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Good DIY.Pulling out the heavy battery,detaching the pipes,sensors & putting it all back in that cramped place is not the best job to do for people with just intereste. You need to have more than interest.Any special reason for taking up this task ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Great DIY but why would one want to replace a diesel filter themselves? To save on A.S.S. labour cost or just for kicks
To be frank it's just for kicks. I love getting my hands dirty doing these kind of stuff on my car. Everything else is just a bonus.

@Neil - you don't need to pull out the battery if you are okay with the space freed up by removing the air filter. And no pipes need to be removed either. The filter screws into the top of the filter assembly which holds the pipes.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Can you please mention what is the replacement interval recommended by MSIL for the diesel filter or just the water in fuel sensor to be removed for water draining - if so whats the frequency ?

By the way how much the wrench cost you ? Whats the make ? Planning to buy one.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:32   #7
BHPian

Excellent DIY, Shibujp. BTW where did you get the replacement filter from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Can you please mention what is the replacement interval recommended by MSIL for the diesel filter or just the water in fuel sensor to be removed for water draining - if so whats the frequency ?

According to Maruti, Diesel filter needs to be changed every 20,000 KMs

Last edited by f1fan : 5th December 2011 at 13:34.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

The replacement interval is 20k as mentioned by f1Fan below. And the water drain interval is 10k.

The wrench cost me around 500 rupees. It's a Taiwanese make named "Force." A good tools shop should have them. Just ensure the one you buy fits around the fuel filter. The ones I was initially shown at the shop here were for unscrewing petrol filters in cars like the M800. The wrench that I bought was commonly used for the Tata Sumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Excellent DIY, Shibujp. BTW where did you get the replacement filter from?
KMs
Thanks! I got the replacement filter from a Mico Bosch spares shop. They stock the fuel filter for the Swift Diesel. Cost me 1070 rupees.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 5th December 2011 at 14:30.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks