Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 19:52   #1
BHPian

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work

Hi, I've been a BHPian for quite long but never got a chance to post anything, first because i was new and the this system did not let me post and later because I got so busy driving around that I never found time!!

I own a 2009 Black Santro Eco and took up this wheel modification project. My aim was to give it a clean new look keeping the spend to the lowest. So what did I do? Painted the wheels. Yea when I say painting, most of us are put off by the idea but I'm sure you'll love it when you see the pictures.

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-261120110222.jpg

Her’s what I did:
1. Prototype the look of the wheel on Photoshop:
Yes I work in the IT and prototype is something I’m used to using!

Here are three designs I could think of. Then a team of engineers (all my roomies are that) pondered over them. It could get really dangerous if you ask engineers to do any art you see. Before they could messup my idea completely, we finalized on the third one.
DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-1.jpg DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-dsc00308_1.jpg DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-31.jpg
2.The tools:
  • A Screw-Jack and the spanner
  • Black spray paint (bought on ebay).
3. Try it out on the spare tyre – the stepney
DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-261120110031300x271.jpg
Painting the small wheel cap was easy since it was to become black in full. But painting the rim leaving the middle part untouched looked like quite some challenge.
DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-26112011010300x225.jpg
Then struck the brilliant idea! – wet a cloth and paste it along the rim covering what has to be left untouched, and paint the rim to glory!!
DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-26112011014300x225.jpg
And there you go, the stepney looked cool in that matt finish black color.
4. Then what? Jack up the rest of the wheels and paint!
The project took us a little more than 4hours. Thanks to my roomies, the whole job felt like a breeze. They helped me jack her up, clean the wheels and put them back on. Team work pays you see Towards the evening we were left wondering if it was us amateurs that did the job to perfection. A totally well spent Saturday!

Last edited by bharathreddyt : 7th December 2011 at 09:55.
bharathreddyt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Santro Wheel mod - paint work

^^ Hey mate, I will be honest & I feel that the silver wheels (stock look) gel way better with your car than any of the designs that you have posted. But that's just my opinion.

Just one suggestion though, I had read in one of the old threads here on TBhp about how an individual got hold of chrome strips & he put them on the steel wheels of his/her Alto. It's something that used to come on old Ambassadors or Contessas, chrome rings sitting on the edges of the rim. I believe they look nice.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9
... chrome rings sitting on the edges of the rim...
Or use Chrome paint? To me black painted rim edge makes the tyres look smaller. i think chrome, mag or metallic grey finishes would be cool on a black car. to quick mod tip.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Did u paint the tires by any chance ? If yes then correct the problem otherwise may be detrimental to the rubber in the long run . Use masking tape next time .Great job though , would like to do it to my alto rims too someday.Full black rims with original wheelcaps.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Hey mate, I will be honest & I feel that the silver wheels (stock look) gel way better with your car than any of the designs that you have posted. But that's just my opinion.

Just one suggestion though, I had read in one of the old threads here on TBhp about how an individual got hold of chrome strips & he put them on the steel wheels of his/her Alto. It's something that used to come on old Ambassadors or Contessas, chrome rings sitting on the edges of the rim. I believe they look nice.
The painting thought came to me because the stock paint on the plastic caps wore off. And I did not want to spend much on the wheels yet. Add to that, I like painting and I had a black spray can handy. So its all of this put together :-)

I personally do not like chrome, though it looks good on the rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Did u paint the tires by any chance ? If yes then correct the problem otherwise may be detrimental to the rubber in the long run . Use masking tape next time .Great job though , would like to do it to my alto rims too someday.Full black rims with original wheelcaps.
anky, I'd tried to cover the tyre with cloth. But this was just a very thin coat of spray (only one spray coat on the rims actually), a bit might have spilled over to the tyres but that would be gone soon with the washes my watchman often gives the tyres. Thank you for the suggestion though, I shall keep that in mind next time!!

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2011 at 15:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 8th December 2011, 15:23   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post
I own a 2009 Black Santro Eco and took up this wheel modification project. My aim was to give it a clean new look keeping the spend to the lowest. So what did I do? Painted the wheels. Yea when I say painting, most of us are put off by the idea but I'm sure you'll love it when you see the pictures.
Hello. I own a black santro too.I was thinking along the same lines for a quick simple cheap way to get a clean better look for the time being till i get some new wheels. My wheels are the steel ones, the non-painted ones which comes with the base model. I would prefer to paint the entire rim black and not leave the middle portion untouched like you have. Let's see.
Can you share what kind of paint you purchased on ebay,and how much quantity would be enough?
thanks alot!
Old 6th July 2012, 20:23   #8
BHPian

Was wondering if I should create a new thread, and came across this!

Here are a few pics of my DIY.

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-05012012003.jpg

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-05012012004.jpg

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-05012012006.jpg

DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-05012012010.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Santro Wheel mod - Paint work-05012012008.jpg  

Old 6th July 2012, 20:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Was wondering if I should create a new thread, and came across this!
Hey. I was thinking of a DIY along the same lines when i found this thread. Can you share which sort of paint you got, how much of it and where you sourced it if you don't mind.
How long back did you do this? How has it been so far?
My only apprehension is that if it flakes of or chips or fades off over time, especially now with the monsoons coming.
ps - Have you considered painting the whole rim black? The painted portion has a nice texture.
Old 7th July 2012, 20:20   #10
BHPian

I have full black steel rims on my Black Chevrolet Spark. Looks good but I think adding a red/yellow lip to the black rims will make it look sexy! Can anyone help me as how can I get a colored lip on the rims? Will a good vinyl/sticker guy be able to do it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks