Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 12:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Fluidic Verna - Scratched and Painted

Nice Job there Tassem, I too have got some deep scratches similar to your's on the other side of Rear bumper thanks to a Activa guy forgetting his breaks. The darkness of my purple fantasia doesn't make it look prominent. I have applied scratch remover solution on it and it looks fine now and not visible from some distance.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a SUPERB DIY! Am sure such works inspire more of us to give a try. Incase it doesn't work out well to our satisfaction, we always can go to professionals and get this done right again. And what we spent for such a DIY is quite minimal from a finance point of view.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Nice Job there Tassem, I too have got some deep scratches similar to your's on the other side of Rear bumper thanks to a Activa guy forgetting his breaks. The darkness of my purple fantasia doesn't make it look prominent. I have applied scratch remover solution on it and it looks fine now and not visible from some distance.
Purple fantasia looks really good! But it will be a pain to paint yourself. Since matching that shade is going to be quite a task.

Bikers not braking on time is one of the biggest banes! Another pain is rikshaws stopping too close on an incline or trying to turn in within a hair's breadth of your bumper. Wonder why everyone is in such a hurry. Edging past cars stopped at a signal is one of the stupidest things to do. Even if you manage to move up to the front of the stop, what difference does it make? The cars will overtake you either ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a SUPERB DIY! Am sure such works inspire more of us to give a try. Incase it doesn't work out well to our satisfaction, we always can go to professionals and get this done right again. And what we spent for such a DIY is quite minimal from a finance point of view.
Exactly my point! Plus if it works out good, its so satisfying at having it done ourselves!

Last edited by Tassem : 15th December 2011 at 14:51.
Old 16th December 2011, 19:06   #19
BHPian

Re: DIY : Scratched and Repainted my Fluidic Verna

Nice Job Taseem and an excellent way of putting it up.

The patience with which you have worked and attempt to perfection talks about your love for your car, great.

I scratched the rear bumper of my new EON (close to the left wheel) and have got similar small marks on the bumper (as you had on yours).

The color I bought is Mushroom (seemingly a new color from Hyundai stable) and hence i fear that if ever i were to get a matching color then it would be close to impossible.

What does your murphy say here???
Old 16th December 2011, 20:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Nice Job Taseem and an excellent way of putting it up.

The patience with which you have worked and attempt to perfection talks about your love for your car, great.

I scratched the rear bumper of my new EON (close to the left wheel) and have got similar small marks on the bumper (as you had on yours).

The color I bought is Mushroom (seemingly a new color from Hyundai stable) and hence i fear that if ever i were to get a matching color then it would be close to impossible.

What does your murphy say here???
Thanks Murphy is still grumpy.

How deep are these marks? Can you put up a pic? If they're aren't too deep (base cannot be seen) then get some rubbing polish and you should be good to go. If the base is visible, then it will be the long hard route if you decide to try it yourself. Alternately check if the color is available at com-paint. Send them an email. They usually have new colors ready in a couple of months from launch. Especially for cars that sell in volume, which the Eon will.
Old 16th December 2011, 21:23   #21
dot
Senior - BHPian

Very nice DIY. Very inspirational.

There is a dearth of good touch up paints in our markets. Specially, color matching is a huge challenge. Even if exact color is available in the refinish market, matching color would still be a task as colors may vary due to weathering and use related issues. Wouldn't it be nice if there was good options for brush/spray paints which can hide ugly blemishes as well as color match to a large degree.
Old 19th December 2011, 00:48   #22
BHPian

i know this shop here in delhi thats the official dealer for comm paint.....the best bit is that he has the apparatus at his tiny shop to make the spray cans there itself....he charges quite a bit but he mixes the paint there itself for you ,using your cars petrol lid and then puts it in an aerosol can ...he charges 400 bucks per can while comm paint cans go for abt 190 i think for the same size
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 01:40   #23
BHPian

Recently my Alto K10's front bumper (Silky Silver) got scratched and is showing some black patches. Should try this! I'll add this to my to do list. Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures. Great job. This thread will surely help a lot of us who drive through crazy city traffic.

- Abhishek
satanic_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 12:35   #24
BHPian

Hey Tassem,

I think i saw your car on Saturday parked near Nandi garden apt. I couldnt recognize any small patches which means for a first time guy looking at the car he ll hardly make out if there was any damage which is off course better than having a scratch

Regards,
Chethan
Old 19th December 2011, 22:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey, That's a cool DIY. You sure gave me an activity for the coming Sunday. But the catch (gray area ) is my car's color is Red. Not the solid red that the Polo comes with, it is the metallic red one. So finding a right shade is the only problem.

Still this is a nice DIY and a good learning experience. Also, since it is very inexpensive, it is definitely worth a try; I will definitely try it out. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th December 2011, 13:00   #26
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a very handy task to all car owners. You have become a DIY expert.

I think due to bumper to bumper traffic scratches, this DIY is helpful. Need to know to buy the correct colour and plan the activities according to your checklist.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Very nice DIY. Very inspirational.

There is a dearth of good touch up paints in our markets. Specially, color matching is a huge challenge. Even if exact color is available in the refinish market, matching color would still be a task as colors may vary due to weathering and use related issues. Wouldn't it be nice if there was good options for brush/spray paints which can hide ugly blemishes as well as color match to a large degree.
I picked up a can of com-paint in crystal white from Reliance Autozone. The color is a much better match. But the problem is that it needs separate laquering which the other spray paint didn't. I got busy this weekend and could not get around to perfecting it. More next weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
i know this shop here in delhi thats the official dealer for comm paint.....the best bit is that he has the apparatus at his tiny shop to make the spray cans there itself....he charges quite a bit but he mixes the paint there itself for you ,using your cars petrol lid and then puts it in an aerosol can ...he charges 400 bucks per can while comm paint cans go for abt 190 i think for the same size
There are stores which do mixing to perfection. But its not available in aerosol cans. So there is no real option to transfer it. However com-paint is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan25 View Post
Hey Tassem,

I think i saw your car on Saturday parked near Nandi garden apt. I couldnt recognize any small patches which means for a first time guy looking at the car he ll hardly make out if there was any damage which is off course better than having a scratch

Regards,
Chethan
Hey! that was me alright. I'm glad you put this up. Thanks! And you're absolutely right - I will take a patch over a scratch anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hey, That's a cool DIY. You sure gave me an activity for the coming Sunday. But the catch (gray area ) is my car's color is Red. Not the solid red that the Polo comes with, it is the metallic red one. So finding a right shade is the only problem.

Still this is a nice DIY and a good learning experience. Also, since it is very inexpensive, it is definitely worth a try; I will definitely try it out. Thanks for sharing!
Hey, have a look at com-paint. The mix seems quite good. Try on a small area which is not very visible. If the underside of your bonnet is painted, its a good place to try. Else go for the curve under the rear bumper. Should give you a good idea. Looking forward to an update. I'm sure it'll go well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Seems to be a very handy task to all car owners. You have become a DIY expert.

I think due to bumper to bumper traffic scratches, this DIY is helpful. Need to know to buy the correct colour and plan the activities according to your checklist.
Thanks RGK! I think com-paint is the easiest bet. Unless its an overtly complicated color or if the car's quite old.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 19:30   #28
BHPian

Friends, after trying cans, I have bought PILOT E 88( airless spray gun). The thing costs only Rs 2100/- and you can do any pain job with a little practice, infinite patience and experience. The finish is excellent, but I attained that finish at the cost of about 600 Rs( read cost of paint and thinner waisted) and many hours of toil( read painting, resurfacing, repainting) . But the final outcome is worth the pain and I got bolder and bolder even as to paint the fuel tank of my Unicorn.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 12:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post

Can you please share the name of this shop?

Since Tassem has inspired all of us to mend small rashes and scratches on our cars at home, might as well try out some during the year end leaves.

Tassem, very inspiring indeed. The neighbor's Fortuner has scratched off some paint on the RHS of the rear bumper of my new Fiesta. Will try out your suggested steps. If things go haywire, the friendly neighborhood garage will take care of the mess
Old 21st December 2011, 14:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Can you please share the name of this shop?

Since Tassem has inspired all of us to mend small rashes and scratches on our cars at home, might as well try out some during the year end leaves.

Tassem, very inspiring indeed. The neighbor's Fortuner has scratched off some paint on the RHS of the rear bumper of my new Fiesta. Will try out your suggested steps. If things go haywire, the friendly neighborhood garage will take care of the mess
MITTAL COLOUR
G-11, Palika Bhawan,Sec.-13, R.K.Puram,N. Delhi
mycarhasablower is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks