Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 02:35   #1
BHPian

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can

Since I had some spare time today, thought of doing this even though I know that an oil catch can wouldn't be much useful in a NA car but it won't be useless either.
Having seen readymade oil catch cans from big names like, Mishimoto,Cusco,Perrin I wondered, why pay such a premium for such a simple device,why not try to make one yourself ?
Thats how this attempt began. Headed to the local market for buying the necessary hardware to make one.

Here is a complete list of required parts,

Aluminum water bottle (you get these almost anywhere,they are shiny and come in attractive colours.) ~ 120/-
Pneumatic press fit elbow fittings x 2 ~ 60/- (Both)
Brass elbow suitable for 10mm ID hose x 2 ~ 40/- (Both)
Braided plastic hose with 8mm ID x 2 Mt. ~ 60/-
PU transparent pipe for level indicator x 1/2 Mt. ~ 20/-
steel wool x 2 packs ~ 10/- (Should be available at your local grocery shop too,commonly used for cleaning utensils)
M-seal/JB Weld/Araldite
Worm clips ~ 100/-

All put together ~ 500-600/-

Not bad for an experiment,what say ?

The following pics should make it easy to understand.

Hardware required -

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0020.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0044.jpg

The bottle I got was dark red in colour, nothing wrong in that but had some stupid cartoons on it so removed the paint with thinner and used a 1200 grit paper to roughen to surface,should help in good bonding for the adhesive/sealant.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0025.jpg

Holes drilled for all the 4 fittings. Ok so I did damage one of the holes in the excitement to finish and proceed.Haste is not good

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0021.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0026.jpg

Top elbow fittings installed and sealed.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0029.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0036.jpg

Side elbow press fit fittings installed and sealed.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0035.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0034.jpg

All 4 elbow fittings installed and sealed.Transparent PU tube installed.This will act as a level indicator as to how much the catch can is filled,making it easier to check when to drain it.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0041.jpg

Steel shavings/wool being inserted in the container.This should help in faster transfer of heat from the oil vapours and therefore condense them so that blow by oil can settle at the bottom.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0046.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0048.jpg

Bracketing and fitting trial on the car.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0059.jpg

Finishing the plumbing.

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0071.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0072.jpg

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0063.jpg DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-imag0073.jpg

As can be seen, the oil catch can is introduced in between the PCV valve - Intake Manifold passage.

The idea as many of you already know, is to reintroduce the ventilated gases from the crank case into the intake manifold for combustion instead of ventilating them to the atmosphere.
What happens over a period of time is that there is a thin film formation inside the intake manifold. This film is that of the vapours being ventilated from the crank case.These vapours is a mixture of oil vapour,air,fuel,minor traces of water and so on.Basically dirty stuff that should not be deposited inside the Intake Manifold.
Although this isn't too much of a problem in NA cars, it is in turbo cars so actually this technique works best for turbo applications and very high performance race engines.
Irrespective of whether your car is turbocharged as a performance mod or it is factory turbocharged, both would face the same issue.
Therefore I feel that even if you have a stock turbo car (mostly all modern diesels) this mod should help in keeping the intake manifold clean.A clean manifold would mean a happier engine and maybe improved engine life and performance.

This is a very very simple device as is pretty clear from above pics and taking into consideration that it costs so less but helps so much, I think its worth the effort.
Amey is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY Cheapo oil catch can

Edit: Please note that this plumbing will work on a NA engine and not on Turbo engine. The routing would have to be changed a bit.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Aluminum water bottle (you get these almost anywhere,they are shiny and come in attractive colours.) ~ 120/-
Pneumatic press fit elbow fittings x 2 ~ 60/- (Both)
Brass elbow suitable for 10mm ID hose x 2 ~ 40/- (Both)

Top elbow fittings installed and sealed. Steel shavings/wool being inserted in the container.This should help in faster transfer of heat from the oil vapours and therefore condense them so that blow by oil can settle at the bottom.
Hi Amey, very nice DIY Was just wondering if the extra long piping to & from the oil catch can would cause the oil vapors to condense within the piping itself.

Also, if from the oil catch can inlet, there is a descending tube that disperses the vapors at the bottom of the can, wouldn't it allow the steel wool to "catch" or "scrub" the vapors even more ?

Quote:
The idea as many of you already know, is to reintroduce the ventilated gases from the crank case into the intake manifold for combustion instead of ventilating them to the atmosphere.
Can the crankcase blow-by be directed to the air intake upstream of the air filter ? Then the filter itself would "clean" the blow-by...

Here's a very interesting document I'd come across some time ago on blow-by & breathers...

BreatherSystems.pdf
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 18:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Amey, very nice DIY Was just wondering if the extra long piping to & from the oil catch can would cause the oil vapors to condense within the piping itself.
Also, if from the oil catch can inlet, there is a descending tube that disperses the vapors at the bottom of the can, wouldn't it allow the steel wool to "catch" or "scrub" the vapors even more ?
Can the crankcase blow-by be directed to the air intake upstream of the air filter ? Then the filter itself would "clean" the blow-by...
Here's a very interesting document I'd come across some time ago on blow-by & breathers...

Attachment 905530
Was just wondering if the extra long piping to & from the oil catch can would cause the oil vapors to condense within the piping itself.

I did think about that but the thing is there almost no place on the driver side engine bay area where the distance would have been shortest.
Even though it does condense a bit in the pipe itself, it wont be going inside the valve cover thanks to the PCV valve.

Yes it will. Since this was a first attempt, didn't bother too much.The one I would be making after I go turbo, will be a better design overall than this.
Let's just say I wanted to see if the concept actually works.Sort of an experiment.

The PCV operates either by intake manifold vacuum when at idling or crankcase pressure at WOT and compared to the breather outlet on the valve cover, PCV side port throws out more oily and sticky stuff. If the intake manifold gets coated with this sticky stuff and turn completely black and sticky over the period of time,imagine what would happen to the air filter.
Also at idle the PCV operates by vacuum, if you do connect it at air filter side instead of the intake manifold, where would it get the vacuum from ? Which means it wouldn't operate until and unless it operates by the crankcase pressure at higher RPM or WOT. This means the pressure would be relieved only at WOT ? until then all these dirty fumes/gases are still in the engine itself ? and what about the pressure build up in the crank case ?
Not a good idea, is it ?
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Agree. Otherwise the vapours are shortcircuiting the bottle.
Have to be careful that steel dust (from the steel wool) is not sucked into the engine.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Agree. Otherwise the vapours are shortcircuiting the bottle.
Have to be careful that steel dust (from the steel wool) is not sucked into the engine.

Regards
Sutripta
Agreed. Actually wanted to make some sort of a partition and attach a tube for the inlet but then decided to save all those efforts for the new one I would be making.
It is not steel wool as such.lets just just its a big entangled ball of stainless steel thread which is about 1-2mm wide and around 1/2mm thick maybe ?
Basically, there arent any loose pieces in this to get sucked in.
This was purely an experiment. All drawbacks found in this contraption would be dealt with in the new 'model'
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. Actually wanted to make some sort of a partition and attach a tube for the inlet but then decided to save all those efforts for the new one I would be making.
It is not steel wool as such.lets just just its a big entangled ball of stainless steel thread which is about 1-2mm wide and around 1/2mm thick maybe ?
Basically, there arent any loose pieces in this to get sucked in.
This was purely an experiment. All drawbacks found in this contraption would be dealt with in the new 'model'

This would be helpful in keeping the TB cleaner , the airfilter lets some of the oil film go pass, so to understand the basic working of this is that the steel wool is cooler and the oil condenses on the steel wool? am i right
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
This would be helpful in keeping the TB cleaner , the airfilter lets some of the oil film go pass, so to understand the basic working of this is that the steel wool is cooler and the oil condenses on the steel wool? am i right
I shall upload 2 images which I have attempted to make in MS Paint, hope you can make out from it what I am trying to say. Please bear with me for the kid like drawings

In a normal stock car/engine this is what usually happens,

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-1.jpg

Now instead of this setups, this is what I have done,

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-2.jpg

You see that the breather port sucks air from the air intake line after the MAF.Now since this port doesn't have a one way valve or a non return valve as such, if at all there oil mist blowing out of this hose, the hose would get oily and making the intake sticky till the TB and maybe even the TB inlet.

For this I have used a breather filter so this issue is taken care of.

As for the PCV routing, that has been discussed above and the image above too should be pretty self explanatory.

Therefore, both possible contaminating passages have been cut off/rerouted in order to avoid TB,Intake Manifold from getting dirty. Clean TB and Intake Manifold = Happy Engine. Happy Engine = Happy You
Amey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:54   #9
BHPian

Re: DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can

Very Nice explanation Amey!!

I am still interested in knowing the diameters of the PCV and breather ports and also their locations. If both the ports are on the valve cover itself ( some cars have the PCV port on the crankcase and breather port on valve cover) then I find it very intriguing that there is no outward flow from the breather port under pressure.

Nevertheless looks like a nice exercise!
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
Very Nice explanation Amey!!

I am still interested in knowing the diameters of the PCV and breather ports and also their locations. If both the ports are on the valve cover itself ( some cars have the PCV port on the crankcase and breather port on valve cover) then I find it very intriguing that there is no outward flow from the breather port under pressure.

Nevertheless looks like a nice exercise!
Thanks Rash.
Haven't taken the dimensions of both the ports but the PCV valve side port is definitely larger than the breather port.
The port location is exactly as shown in the illustration above.
I am aware that certain cars have the PCV on the crankcase but in my case, it isn't so.
Yes there is no outward flow from the breather port because if there would have been, the breather filter should have shown traces of oil sweating but that is not the case. The filter is completely dry.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:34   #11
BHPian

Amey, in the first diagram, the direction of the arrow is from the breather port to the intake, NOT the other way round.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great DIY Amey. My kinda guy VFM stuff which works. Let the good advice keep filtering in and do keep sharing your VFM DIYs with us.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you are filtering blowby gases which consist of a huge amount of water (from burnt exhaust gases leaking through the rings), there will be a mixture of water & oil.
the water is pretty much harmless. But the oil can create a sticky surface and even hamper function of some parts. Throttle body wetting is a pretty common phenomenon although that happens due to the oil flow through breather circuit.

It will be very interesting to see how much volume is accumulated in what Kms.

Great Job
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Amey, in the first diagram, the direction of the arrow is from the breather port to the intake, NOT the other way round.
No, it is the right direction. The following extract from the Mitsubishi Manual should clarify that,

DIY - Cheapo Oil catch Can-pcv-diagram.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great DIY Amey. My kinda guy VFM stuff which works. Let the good advice keep filtering in and do keep sharing your VFM DIYs with us.
Thanks for the kind words Sir,appreciate it
Amey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 09:18   #15

This is fantatic DIY details, much appreicated.

As an alternate, one can use the TATA Indica / Sumo Oil Seperator. It comes quite cheap (400/- and is very robust). Pipe etc. will cost 40/- a meter.

Only issue is fitting and making a proper clamp.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2020 at 09:38. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thanks.
ashtwinks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed