Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 23:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)

Here's a quick DIY for changing your brake pads.

This one's for the Rear Pads only - I'll put up a write-up for the front pads once I get around to changing them.

My car has now crossed around 86,000 miles (@ 1,40,000 km).
Since I haven't tracked my car, my stock pads have held up and haven't been changed since the car was new.

The Service Interval was still showing a life of @ 13,000 miles left on the rear pads but I decided to change them.

Here's what you'll need:
Brake Pads (Front) (BMW P/N: 34 11 6 794 917) - 1 set (4 pads)
Brake Pad Sensor (Front) BMW P/N: 34 35 6 789 440) - 1
Brake Pads (Rear) (BMW P/N: 34 21 6 791 938 or 34 21 6 769 105) - 1 set (4 pads)
Brake Pad Sensor (Rear) (BMW P/N: 34 35 6 789 445) - 1
Brake Pad Paste (BMW P/N: 83 19 2 158 851) - 1 pack / set of pads

Lift jack with jack stands
17 mm socket for wheel lug nuts (1/2" drive)
17 mm allen / hex-socket (3/8" drive)
10 mm socket for removing 2-3 plastic bolts on wheel-well liner
Brake spreader or C-clamp
Brake cleaner spray
Anti-squeal paste - CRC Disc Brake Quiet
Rags / paper towels
Disposable rubber gloves

[PICTURE 1 - Parts]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01636.jpg

Jack up the car using the rear differential. Place your jack-stands at the jacking points.

Remove rear wheel(s).

[Some DIY'ers recommend opening the lid for the brake-fluid reservoir located under the bonnet (hood). Possibly to ease pressure when you push brake piston back (more below)]

[PICTURE 2 - Top & Bottom Hex]

[View from inner side - Top]
DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01641.jpg

[View from inner side - Bottom]
DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01642.jpg

Remove the anti-rattle clip. Unfortunately, I didn't click a picture but it comes off fairly easy if you use a flat bottom screw driver between the rotor hub and the caliper, and press on the spring away from the hub.

If you're doing the left side first then remove the wear sensor cable that's clipped onto the inner pad (Picture in thread below). Leave the cable attached for now so you can follow the same routing while fitting the new sensor. The sensor is attached with a spring clip that'll probably stay on the pad when you remove the sensor. Save it for the time being just in case your new sensor doesn't come with a clip - usually they all do.

The right side doesn't have a sensor. There's one on the front left & another on the right rear.

If you're only changing the pads then you only need to remove the two 17 mm hex nuts / caliper guide bolts (one top, one bottom) hidden under two plastic caps (caps can be pulled off or pried off using a small flat screw driver).

You need to fully loosen the hex nuts but don't need to fully pull them out

[PICTURE 3 - Support caliper & remove pads]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01643.jpg

Once both the nuts are fairly loose you'll need to wriggle the caliper off the rotor (disc) - this might need some muscle but it'll come off.

Support the caliper on a box or something - don't let it hang off the brake lines.

The outer pad comes off easily, then inner one is held inside the piston by metal clips so it'll have to be pried out.
Before removing the inner pad, use it as a support for your brake-spreader / C-clamp to push the piston as far back as it'll go - don't use force.
[Make sure your brake fluid reservoir lid is open before you do this, so it eases pressure]/

[PICTURE 4 - Compare new & old pads]

[Outer]
DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01644.jpg

[Inner]
DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01645.jpg

These pads were changed for the first time since the car was new - so they have lasted pretty well for @ 4-1/2 years & 86000 miles without tracking the car.

[PICTURE 5 - Lubricated guide bolts]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01646.jpg

Now you can liberally clean the area with the Brake Cleaner - avoid getting it on rubber parts or paint as it'll damage paint.
I'd bought this lubricating paste along-with the pads, so used it to lubricate the guide bolts after cleaning.

[PICTURE 6 - Anti-squeal paste]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01647.jpg

Some DIY'ers recommend this, some don't. I used some anti-squeal paste just so I don't have to redo everything again in case the brakes do start squealing.
You don't need to do the whole pads, just the portions that touch metal.

NOTHING on the side that touches the rotor please.

[PICTURE 7 - Brake Pad Sensor]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01648.jpg

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01650.jpg

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01652.jpg

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01653.jpg

You need to remove a couple of plastic hex 10 mm bolts to uncover the sensor cable car-mounting point that is under the wheel-well liner.

Note that the rear sensor is longer than the front one.

I was ignorant, and didn't notice it so I wasted a lot of time in installing the wrong length, seeing it doesn't fit, getting frustrated, removing it and then refitting the longer sensor 2 days later.

Follow the routing of the old sensor wire and you're all set.

[PICTURE 9 - Reverse & reset]

DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)-dsc01654.jpg

Put everything back together.
It's easy enough to write a short line but it takes time re-installing everything.

Get in the car and reset the Rear Brake Pad change interval.

The OEM pads don't require any specific bedding-in.

That's it!

Last edited by aah78 : 1st September 2012 at 03:18. Reason: Text.
aah78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 03:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)

If you're installing performance pads, then don't forget to follow proper manufacturer recommended bed in procedures.

Some people recommend changing rotors with every (or every alternate) pad change. As these were the rear pads, I left the rotors alone.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st September 2012 at 03:18.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 21:37   #3

Brake Pads suggestion for BMW 320i

Hi Guys,
I'm new to Team BHP, having joined last month and this being my first post. I'm from Delhi and an automobile writer (gtspirit.com). Still in my teens....

I wanted a suggestion regarding the brake pads for my car- which is a BMW 320i.

I am thinking of Brembo pads. Or I have the choice of EBC ultimax/green stuff. They cost more and are highly rated. But the reviews are not great. Meanwhile, I could also send the car to the workshop and fit the pads that BMW offer. Any suggestions ? It has to be pointed out that I'm not changing my rotors. Only the pads. In that case will it be good to go for Brembo which is likely to be the most popular choice ? Ive been told that if I'm going for Brembo then I should change the both the rotors and the pads.

Any tip/suggestion/help will be greatly appreciated.

Okay so by mistake, since I was writing this from my phone. It's in the wrong category. Trying to change :/

Last edited by suryasolanki : 8th July 2015 at 22:01.
Old 8th July 2015, 22:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake Pads suggestion for BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryasolanki View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm new to Team BHP, having joined last month and this being my first post. I'm from Delhi and an automobile writer (gtspirit.com). Still in my teens....

I wanted a suggestion regarding the brake pads for my car- which is a BMW 320i.

I am thinking of Brembo pads. Or I have the choice of EBC ultimax/green stuff. They cost more and are highly rated. But the reviews are not great. Meanwhile, I could also send the car to the workshop and fit the pads that BMW offer. Any suggestions ? It has to be pointed out that I'm not changing my rotors. Only the pads. In that case will it be good to go for Brembo which is likely to be the most popular choice ? Ive been told that if I'm going for Brembo then I should change the both the rotors and the pads.

Any tip/suggestion/help will be greatly appreciated.

Okay so by mistake, since I was writing this from my phone. It's in the wrong category. Trying to change :/
(Hallo - from someone from a pretty similar background )

Come on- if I were in your place, I'd go ahead with OEM BMW pads. Specifically designed for the car- I find such components for our luxo-barges to be bordering on the edge of over-enginnered.

Braking is adequate with OEM pads, I believe. The car is not very fast as such - and besides, you don't want sensor trouble, do you?

The brake discs have a couple of sensors inside them in some cases (brake disc wear & tear; and also ABS + EBD Sensors) and I always worry about potential malfunction.

All said and done- I'd go ahead with BMW OEM pads. Excellent braking, and yeah- guaranteed peace of mind.

(Mods- Move thread to technical stuff. Thanks!)

Incidentally I happen to know the MD of Brembo/Bybre India.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 8th July 2015 at 22:17.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 13:04   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Change Brake Pads - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryasolanki View Post
I am thinking of Brembo pads. Or I have the choice of EBC ultimax/green stuff.
These cars have awesome brakes in stock form. I'd stick with OEM. Check out Textar (OEM supplier to BMW). They are very well rated.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 13:13   #6

Thank you for the advice man! Glad to hear you have a similar background too!

I guess I should stick with OEM pads. Thought Brembo would've been good because its highly rated and cheaper since the factory is located in India (and BMW charge so much!).

Thanks GTO. Called Textar and they'll happily provide me with the pads!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2015 at 13:32. Reason: Consecutive posts merged. Please use the edit button to add/edit your posts within the 30 min. window. Thanks!
Old 10th February 2017, 16:01   #7
BHPian

Re: Brake Pads suggestion for BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
(Hallo - from someone from a pretty similar background )

Come on- if I were in your place, I'd go ahead with OEM BMW pads. Specifically designed for the car- I find such components for our luxo-barges to be bordering on the edge of over-enginnered.

Braking is adequate with OEM pads, I believe. The car is not very fast as such - and besides, you don't want sensor trouble, do you?

The brake discs have a couple of sensors inside them in some cases (brake disc wear & tear; and also ABS + EBD Sensors) and I always worry about potential malfunction.

All said and done- I'd go ahead with BMW OEM pads. Excellent braking, and yeah- guaranteed peace of mind.

(Mods- Move thread to technical stuff. Thanks!)

Incidentally I happen to know the MD of Brembo/Bybre India.
Hi,
So what is your thought on Brembo brake pads when it come to quality as opposed to OEM's?
I am also thinking of getting Brembo for my X3 F25.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks