Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI

This thread from me primarily is to show "How to BLOCK the EGR valve". I could not find any material related to this step anywhere on Google and only after a phone call to BODA Jeeper Vijayanand Prabhu I was able to get to this.

NOTE -

Why this should be done? - I have a vauge idea, without a EGR-ECU the turbo doesnt boost correctly and lots of black smoke will be noticed from exhaust.

Why cant we have a ECU to make it work - No idea, Gurus?? Why?

--------------------------------------

With the current Di and DiTurbo conversion from Peejos the 'in-thing' 'flavor' of the season, I hope this would be helpful for readers and googlers.

-------------------

1 - Locate the EGR unit

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI-new1.jpg

2 - Use ALLEN Key #6 to remove 2 keys at the bottom of the unit, this is the ENTRY point from Exhaust manifold (Top is into Intake manifold)

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI-2.jpg

3 - Make the part from a thin TIN sheet (many jeep spares come in this sheet enclosure, even your haldirams rasgula can top will work!)

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI-3.jpg

4 - Dimension, use the existing gasket/washer present in the joint (part should be already in there)

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI-4.jpg

5 - You can only push the flexi pipe downwards, not the top fixed pipe.

DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI-5.jpg

---------

For rest of EGR gyan please google doodle... cheers.

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th September 2013 at 17:08.
svsantosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 17:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI

But SVS, there must be some control by which the EGR must open / close. Otherwise it will either remain open / closed all the time.

What is that grey colored flexible rubber pipe seen there?

Spike
Old 6th September 2013, 17:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Looks like some vacuum tube that activates the valve? That also needs disconnection?
Old 6th September 2013, 19:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
But SVS, there must be some control by which the EGR must open / close. Otherwise it will either remain open / closed all the time.
Herr Spike, I have done something similar to what Santosh has done. We are blocking it where the soot actually enters the intake manifold, so regardless of whether the valve is open or shut, no exhaust gas/soot will enter the manifold.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is that grey colored flexible rubber pipe seen there?

Spike
Pratheesh - honestly all i know is no-cpu-close-egr else all black smoke and no boost. I wad hoping you and others can share the whys and whats of closing egr in a DiT mod. The grey pipe is from the alternator - gets air from the vacuum pump on alt into the egr, why? No clue! Can you share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Looks like some vacuum tube that activates the valve? That also needs disconnection?
Jaggu - i left it else i need to think about closing the alt side metal nipple too! Lets see what experts have to say.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tini - exactly! The black smoke was too much and i saw point 11 or 13 in your jeep thread but cldnt see what exactly needs to be done - hence this thread.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

4x4addict, soot entering the intake manifold was the problem or are you guys in to solving some other issue? In other words, what is the intention behind this mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The grey pipe is from the alternator - gets air from the vacuum pump on alt into the egr, why? No clue! Can you share.
SVS, the EGR valve in this case is controlled depending on the vacum generated in the Alternator vacum pump (function of engine speed) hence the grey flexible pipe connection. With ECU the control becomes slightly complicated but works better.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 6th September 2013 at 19:26. Reason: reply to SVS added
Old 6th September 2013, 22:23   #8
BHPian

If the EGR is controlled by ECU, then you con't just disconnect the EGR . this system is made to reduce emission. Exhaust Gas Re circulation reduces combustion temp hence lowering emission. First you have to delete EGR code in ECU. IF not check light comes on & emission changes. I am also trying to find a solution for it.

Last edited by narendra.vw : 6th September 2013 at 22:25.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

After the engine transplant jeep was driven for about 400km to its current place and started today after the mod for the 1st time!!

Lets just say the mexh place needs a white wash!## :0))) :0)

Turbo spooled and flushed the system of its soot and 1 big pufff!! It was a happy ending! Will post road test after some minor pending work.
Old 7th September 2013, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have heard of a few people also blanking out the EGR in their 1.3 MJD , DDiS engines. However the location of the EGR is too complex of a job to do as a DIY in the 1.3 MJD engines.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear svsantosh and all - please don't make me disclose such things. There was this guy (institutional buyer) who knew that we used to do it so he had warned, "I won't allow it, I will check it, blah blah". It was still done. Till today, I don't think he has figured it out how "it was done"! When he sheepishly asked, I had to maintain a poker face as I could not even laugh! So guys, let sleeping dogs lie! HaHaHa! As only two smilies are allowed, both must be LOL only!

On a serious note, EGR is used to control emissions. I request you to refrain from monkeying around with it. The grey pipe is the vacuum inlet.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Dhabhar sir,

The number of people removing catalytic converters (This on their main cars )in the name of performance is not funny.

On our sparsely running offroad jeeps, we will get better bottom end with an EGR block, albeit with slighty higher NO emissions at low rpm..

Smaller sin I would say..

My take on what was happening on the jeep under question is that the EGR valve is potentially jammed open and the exhaust is bypassing the turbo all the time. This explains the smoke and lack of power..

You can either fix the EGR or block it and get more low end grunt.

I suggested the latter to SVS
prabhuav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 11:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
4x4addict, soot entering the intake manifold was the problem or are you guys in to solving some other issue? In other words, what is the intention behind this mod?
When exhaust/soot re-enters the intake manifold, there are some problems:

1) Soot lines the intake manifold.
2) Combustion is less efficient since you are re-inserting air with the oxygen already depleted back into the intake mainfold.
3) The resultant loss of power due to the above two factors.
4) Engine oil becomes contaminated sooner because of the soot.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 15:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

...On a serious note, EGR is used to control emissions. I request you to refrain from monkeying around with it. The grey pipe is the vacuum inlet.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
"monkeying around with it." ???? Behram, I wish you would refrain from using these highly technical engineering terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
When exhaust/soot re-enters the intake manifold, there are some problems:

1) Soot lines the intake manifold.
2) Combustion is less efficient since you are re-inserting air with the oxygen already depleted back into the intake mainfold.
3) The resultant loss of power due to the above two factors.
4) Engine oil becomes contaminated sooner because of the soot.
Sounds reasonable enough. What does your seat-of-the-pants-ometer tell you? Can you notice the difference? I still have my 2009 Invader with the same engine and I might take a whack at it. The steep hills here are all the dynanometer I need.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 18:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: How to Block the EGR Valve on a Turbo DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you just disconnect the vacuum tube do you close off the EGR and achieve the same thing?
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks