Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2014, 21:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Adjusting the Turbo Wastegate / Preload for More / Less Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
Why are indian diesels like innova or fortuner running internally wastegated system with intercoolers rather than using externally wastegated system with a blow off valve. Typically this system works better (in my opinion) as you connect the waste gate to the bov to boost it all way up to 8-10 psi in synch ... While internally wategated ones only develop like 3-6psi range.

Wont it make thoem diesel rockets rather than barges with mid power ranges (50-120)..
BOV on regular road going diesels are unnecessary and not used because there is no throttle plate to control airflow (not talking about anti shudder valves here). Some use them on highly tuned diesel engines with large turbos.

I think you are confused with BOV and wastegate. There is no connection between these two. Waste gate is on the exhaust side and BOV is on the intake side. Both vent gases but for different reasons - Wastegate to control the boost and BOV to prevent compressor surging. Again the latter is rarely used on production Diesels #DERVs

Most common rail turbo diesels with intercoolers run above 15 psi boost. The ones without intercooler may run a little lower but definitely higher than 6 or 7 psi.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st August 2014 at 21:30.
Old 5th September 2014, 01:05   #32
BHPian

Re: DIY: Adjusting the Turbo Wastegate / Preload for More / Less Boost

@Sankar
100% sure am not confused between BOV and Wastegates. In performance disel and petrol turbos we usually install a EBC or EVC electronic boost controller or electronic valve controller. There is a solenoid with pressure sensor so based on what its set to it will let the wastegate spool to build better pressure and BOV side matches and blows to equalize as the compressors power building capability is totally diffrent.

back to my point why prefer internally waste gated systems instead external ones. I did uses a pressure gauge and on a Toyota fortune and pushed it up to 12psi at the waste gate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks