Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2015, 12:02   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower

Simple but effective DIY. Thank you for sharing it. Any guesses if the blower is located at the same place for all the generations?
Old 18th March 2015, 18:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Simple but effective DIY. Thank you for sharing it. Any guesses if the blower is located at the same place for all the generations?
It is a common design across most Suzuki cars and versions so I guess it will be mostly the same. You could take a look and verify the same.

Last edited by audioholic : 18th March 2015 at 18:04.
Old 19th March 2015, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay1105 View Post
Wow.. that was interesting.. Can BHPians help me on how to do it on a Skoda Laura? I hav e this issue everytime during fall season and the blower becomes extremely noisy. I am able to remove the air filter and clean but that does not help completely. Please let me knpw
Vijay, this problem occurs only in vehicles that doesn't have (doesn't come with) cabin air filter. If even after cleaning you have this problem it might be because the filter is wrong sized or torn. Better replace it once you're done with blower motor cleaning.

For cleaning the blower motor urgently (without removing the motor) i always used a vacuum cleaner. I access the air chamber though the cabin filter case and suck out those leaves and debris.

Last edited by ravigop : 19th March 2015 at 18:25.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 17:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Audioholic

Very good post and the pics helped.
I tried to do the DIY and using the same screw driver as shown by you.
However, could not unscrew the 1 and 2 screws mentioned by you.

The screw driver sort of slips. Any work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Hi Audioholic

Very good post and the pics helped.
I tried to do the DIY and using the same screw driver as shown by you.
However, could not unscrew the 1 and 2 screws mentioned by you.

The screw driver sort of slips. Any work around?
Mission Accomplished!!

The screw driver was faulty and with a simple change, the DIY could be done.
Though my blower did not show any accumulation, yet dusted it clean.

Many thanks for showing the way Audio!!

Last edited by aah78 : 24th March 2015 at 18:09. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In my case as well, I never get charged at my ASC and that is solely due to the relationship I have but then this DIY will certainly help those who want to do it themselves. It is a very simple one and take less than 30 minutes to to all the cleaning. That free cleaning may not work for every individual when he visits the ASC.
I too buy your thoughts. However I have noted this, if I save on something like A/f cleaning or Throttle Body Cleaning or Alignmnet / balancing, I find the ASC digs out some or the other trouble on the car and the net bill effectively remains the same
It feels like there executives have targets per car or targets per day over which they operate.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
It feels like there executives have targets per car or targets per day over which they operate.
Your feeling is actually a fact that remains true for all the ASCs. They work on Targets set for each and every Service Advisor, mainly for Labor.
And hence, you would notice that most ASCs don't try to sell any part even if it may need replacement but will happily try selling all services that involve labor - Throttle Body Cleaning, AC Blower cleaning, Injector Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning etc.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th May 2015 at 12:52.
Old 16th July 2015, 12:02   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful DIY audioholic. Just curious, what happened to your cabin filter and A/C intake vent grills mesh on your firewall ?

Those are the things which keep all those crap out of the blower. Looks like they are missing.
Old 1st October 2015, 15:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since this was a repeat issue, I decided to clean it myself. Here is a pictorial guide.

I have covered it in the most basic way possible. The pictures will explain better than words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
and you saved nearly 500-800 bucks that you would spend in the name of AC Blower cleaning at the ASC which is always a rip-off!

Spend another 20 bucks and ask the Water Wash fella to spray high pressure water on the condensor fins from a distance and you have almost done "AC Service" for your car on your own.

In fact, the very first hint (*apart from ineffective or reduced cooling) that the blower needs cleaning is the amount of air that the vents will be throwing even at full fan speed. If you can't feel the air much, it calls for a cleaning immediately before you begin to crib that the AC is not cooling!
Thanks Audioholic for sharing the DIY. I'm observing reduced fan speed on my WagonR over the last three days. The way it used to cool at 2 speed is now happening at 4 speed. So I followed your DIY and didn't find any blockage in the blower except for the dust. Since I opened it I got the blower cleaned as per parag's suggestion.

I tested the AC, but it looks like not much improvement. (Although I had not yet taken the car for a drive, so the test was minimal.)

Any other things that I should check? Or should I pay a visit to MASS?
Old 8th October 2015, 21:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Thanks Audioholic for sharing the DIY. I'm observing reduced fan speed on my WagonR over the last three days. The way it used to cool at 2 speed is now happening at 4 speed. So I followed your DIY and didn't find any blockage in the blower except for the dust. Since I opened it I got the blower cleaned as per parag's suggestion.

I tested the AC, but it looks like not much improvement. (Although I had not yet taken the car for a drive, so the test was minimal.)

Any other things that I should check? Or should I pay a visit to MASS?
Quoting myself. I paid the visit to Varun Motors near my office and got the AC issue checked.

I informed the Service Advisor that I already checked the Blower, so he got directly to the AC Filter in couple of minutes. The AC Filter's condition is as below and he advised that it need to be replaced. I checked with him, if it can be cleaned, but the condition looks too bad it definitely needed replacement.

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-img_20151007_135605.jpg
DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-img_20151007_135627.jpg

I got it replaced with a new one.

Total Cost: 407/- (357/- for new Filter and 50/- for Labor)

AC is working perfect after the replacement. In fact I had to switch it off during my night drive from office to home.

DIY AC Filter cleaning??

After checking the replacement work in front of me, I think we can do regular cleaning of the filter ourselves to dust off the particles that gets accumulated. The paper kind of material is such that we may not be able wash it or blow air. Atmost we can take out the filter and dust it off gently (against a wall etc) and put it back in its place. This might delay the damage to AC filter.

I'm attaching the picture of the location of the AC filter for reference. It is located just above the Blower as in the audioholic first post on this thread. But to remove it, we'll have to take out the glove box (Service guy was able to take out the glove box just by holding it on both sides and taking it out slowly, no screws involved I believe the glove box is supported on hinges, I didn't try it myself so cant comment confidently, probably parag might add his inputs).

Note: This is 2011 make WagonR. I'm not sure how it is in previous versions.

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-img_20151007_135929.jpg
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 21:29   #25
BHPian

I have a 2012 wagon r . Could you please guide me as to which air filter you used in your wagon r . Did you get it from mga/mgp directly ? Or did you have to buy of some other model and cut/modify it to fit your wagon r ?
Thanks , Ankush .
Old 8th October 2015, 21:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Quoting myself. I paid the visit to Varun Motors near my office and got the AC issue checked.

I informed the Service Advisor that I already checked the Blower, so he got directly to the AC Filter in couple of minutes. The AC Filter's condition is as below and he advised that it need to be replaced. I checked with him, if it can be cleaned, but the condition looks too bad it definitely needed replacement.

Attachment 1424788
Attachment 1424789

I got it replaced with a new one.

Total Cost: 407/- (357/- for new Filter and 50/- for Labor)

AC is working perfect after the replacement. In fact I had to switch it off during my night drive from office to home.

DIY AC Filter cleaning??

After checking the replacement work in front of me, I think we can do regular cleaning of the filter ourselves to dust off the particles that gets accumulated. The paper kind of material is such that we may not be able wash it or blow air. Atmost we can take out the filter and dust it off gently (against a wall etc) and put it back in its place. This might delay the damage to AC filter.
I need to get this one too. Now daily I spend two hours in the car so I will get this one asap. Compared to the SX4, I didnt know that there was a slot in my WagonR to put the filter in. In the SX4 I had found the slot easily.
Old 9th October 2015, 02:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have a 2012 wagon r . Could you please guide me as to which air filter you used in your wagon r . Did you get it from mga/mgp directly ? Or did you have to buy of some other model and cut/modify it to fit your wagon r ?
Thanks , Ankush .
2012 car should be the same model as mine. I didn't do a DIY. I got it replaced at Maruti Service and the part is MGP. But we can do that as DIY. The task is simple.

Quote:
I need to get this one too. Now daily I spend two hours in the car so I will get this one asap. Compared to the SX4, I didnt know that there was a slot in my WagonR to put the filter in. In the SX4 I had found the slot easily.
Hope you'll be figure out the slot from the picture that I shared. Share with us after it is done.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 12:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
One persistent issue I have with the WagonR is that of the AC blower accumulating a lot of dirt, mostly leaves. This makes the blower noisy at speeds 2 and above. It is so annoying that the blower makes more noise than the car itself. Whenever the fresh air mode is used, leaves accumulated in the cowl will enter the blower as the flap opens.

Hope this helps! Thanks for reading
[/center]
Thanks audioholic for this DIY. Hope it is more or less same for my Santro.
I have to do this, as I dropped a toffee down the AC vent
If anyone has done the blower cleaning for Santro, please add your tips..Thanks!
Old 1st November 2015, 12:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY - Installed: Cabin filter

I was intending to install the cabin filter from a long time but I found out that there was no slot to install one in my WagonR. In contrast, the SX4 had an access door which could be opened to insert the filter. After getting to know that the WR can get a cabin filter too, from the picture posted by Mrbaddy, I investigated the place in greater detail to end up not finding any way to open up the slot.

Had gone shopping to MGP outlet today and brought for the car a set of mudflaps(the stupid rubber flaps given free during delivery were no good and had torn), a pair of wiper blades and also found the cabin filter. It looked like this:

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-wp_20151101_11_14_25_pro.jpg

Then I wondered why they provided an extra door for the panel. That made me take a second look at the whole setup. I tried pulling out the tab to check if there was any removable part that would come out.

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-1.jpg

After confirming that there was no removable part, I got a hint that the door was provided with the filter because there was none present previously. Hence we had to create one. For this, I saw Mrbaddys picture for reference. Bingo! The slot had to be cut as shown:

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-wp_20151101_11_22_21_pro.jpg

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-wp_20151101_11_23_23_pro.jpg

After that, it was easy. Just slot in the filter and closing the door required a little care as the tabs should fit into the respective positions.

DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-wp_20151101_11_23_44_pro.jpgDIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower-wp_20151101_11_26_40_pro.jpg
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 09:19   #30

Hi friends, I have a similar problem, and I am worried. I have a Merc C200 (Sept. 2003) which is currently at a Bosch certified garage in Pune, for change of the ac cooling coil as apparently it is beyond repair. It has been with them a week now.

Yesterday, however, I was told the following:

"One of the blower motors is troubling as we cleaned the motor which was throughly filled with dry leaves. It has damaged the motor to some extent which is why the motor is making a lot of noise. We have managed to repair it. Will update you the final status tomorrow."

I am trying to understand can dry leaves enter and possiblly damage the blower motor? I am really worried about this. If someone can theow some light, will be a lifesaver. Thanks.
-DD

Last edited by diptiman : 19th April 2016 at 09:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks