Team-BHP - DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/161695-diy-cosworth-cold-air-intake-install.html)

I own a 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi elegance. From the company it gets mere 70 BHP. Though it has a turbo charged engine, the grunt that is much needed at the lower and higher end was lacking. So i opted for handy modification of letting the engine breath in and out uninterrupted. I ordered the Cosworth CAI from eBay and decided to install it myself.

Tools needed -

1. A special set of screw drivers
2. A drilling machine
3. A universal spanner
4. A rubber fuel line of any two wheeler
5. Cable ties

Installation

1. Note the boxes shown in first "PRE Installation" picture. That is the complete factory intake system, which has to go to fit the new intake.

2. The red circle in the same picture is the air intake sensor that should be retained.

3. The green circle in the second picture may be the connection to the oxygen sensor as it is attached to the inside of filter box, below the filter. So that also has to be retained.

4. Going ahead with the removal of the factory system, its plain and simple. Just detach all the screws that are holding it. Two screws are inside the filter.

5. Take out the complete assembly.

6. Now, to attach the new system, Cosworth has provided with a double bent steel rod. (Shown in the last picture)

7. Secure it to the hole next to the battery box with a nut-bolt.

8. Now attach the steel connecting pipe to the original intake pipe as shown in the picture.

9. The intake sensor is on the factory intake pipe, so no modification needed there. Leave it as it is. But to attach the hose that carries the filtered air for the oxygen sensor, i had to drill a hole in the connecting pipe of the new intake system. (Clamp and a drilled hole shown with blue circles)

10. Connect the new fuel line to the original hose and secure it with the clamps. The other end of this line should be put through the hole that we just made on the connecting pipe after the POD Filter, so that it carries freshly filtered air.

11. Once the assembly is complete, put the POD filter on the steel pipe and tighten the clamp. This finishes the installation process.

12. One has to reset the ECU for the modifications to work effectively. I did that by disconnecting the battery for 40-45 mins and then re-connecting it. Let the engine run idle for 10-15 mins.

13. The modification has worked so far. The power is there at both low and high ends. Next job will be putting a FFE. Will keep you guys posted.

Regards
Keep Revvin

PRE Installation, Red circle shows the Intake sensor
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-pre-installation.jpg

The Intake from COSWORTH
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-1.jpg

Green circle is Oxygen carrying hose, original filter box
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-2.jpg

Hole drilled in the connecting steel pipe and clamp attached shown with blue circles
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-3.jpg

Cleaner engine bay after Installation
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-post-installation.jpg

Double bent steel rod that came with the System
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-4.jpg

Why is this being called a Cold Air Intake? Isn't this similar to the K&N High Performance filters?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3664955)
Why is this being called a Cold Air Intake? Isn't this similar to the K&N High Performance filters?

That is an interesting question. Looks like the new filter is in the exact same place as the old one, so you wont be drawing in any colder air perse, I would think. The filter looks a bit like these free flow filters akin to K&N.

On the upside, cold air intake doesn't really do much at all, but these filters typically do a bit. Probably 1-2% increase in power and some noticeable difference in low rev torque. Don't expect miracles, although many owners will report those. Its simply a slightly better flow,so a slightly better performing engine.

jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3665027)
That is an interesting question. Looks like the new filter is in the exact same place as the old one, so you wont be drawing in any colder air perse, I would think. The filter looks a bit like these free flow filters akin to K&N.

On the upside, cold air intake doesn't really do much at all, but these filters typically do a bit. Probably 1-2% increase in power and some noticeable difference in low rev torque. Don't expect miracles, although many owners will report those. Its simply a slightly better flow,so a slightly better performing engine.

jeroen

Valid observations indeed!
Isnt it also true that these so called performance filters suck in a lot more dust compared to the factory OEM setup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by allien936 (Post 3664916)
handy modification of letting the engine breath in and out uninterrupted. I ordered the Cosworth CAI

So has this now become a hot-air intake?

From breathing the air outside, it now breathes from the heated air from behind the engine compartment.

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-cosworthless.jpg

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-cosworthless1.jpg

That too when the engine is a Turbo-charged one, particularly sensitive to the charge temperature besides it foregoes the ram effect also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Slow (Post 3665048)
Valid observations indeed!

Isnt it also true that these so called performance filters suck in a lot more dust compared to the factory OEM setup?

Not sure about that. Although The amount of dust if of course a function of the airflow. The big advantage of these performance filters is that they have less restriction for the airflow. Thats what gives the slightly better performance. As an added bonus, the sound might be more attractive and most K&N filters for instance, can be cleaned and reused over and over again. But you do need special oil to impregnate the filter with.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3665246)
So has this now become a hot-air intake?

From breathing the air outside, it now breathes from the heated air from behind the engine compartment.
That too when the engine is a Turbo-charged one, particularly sensitive to the charge temperature besides it foregoes the ram effect also.

1. The AIR Tract was not ambient, the inlet was smaller than 2x3 inches in dimension. So with the new filter it definitely breaths better
2. The new filter is not BEHIND the engine, so it does not breath hot air. Ofcourse the whole engine compartment is going to get heated. The previous TRACT if you see, it was closer to the engine block and being made of plastic it heats up faster eventually heating the air inside.

A cold air intake set up as far as I know would have the conical filter enclosed and a ram intake flexi pipe leading to the filter sucking in air preferably not from within the engine bay, but from outside.

I had a short ram intake fitted along with the Cosworth conical filter in my Figo 1.2. After extending the intake to a small gap in the front grill so it pulls in air from the outside, it made the engine run much smoother.
It does pull in more dust than the stock filter, but cleaning it once on six months does the trick.
It's more about breathing easier with no restrictions than a performance gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allien936 (Post 3665263)
1. The AIR Tract was not ambient

It definitely was taking in air from outside the vehicle and hence its ambient.

Quote:

the inlet was smaller than 2x3 inches in dimension. .

What does the intake size has to do with it, when it was already an "engineered" component. Trust Skoda engineers to know a thing or two about air intake, when they specifically engineered a component (with associated costs) for it.

Quote:

So with the new filter it definitely breaths better

Please define "Breathing better"!

Quote:

2. The new filter is not BEHIND the engine, so it does not breath hot air.

If it is not behind the engine, where is it? Well if you still say, it is to the side, doesn't the hot air in contact with the engine flow into the filter?

Quote:

The previous TRACT if you see, it was closer to the engine block and being made of plastic it heats up faster eventually heating the air inside.

That plastic intake pipe is made of plastic. Please find out if that makes it a good conductor of heat or not to be unable to isolate the Intake air from that inside the engine compartment.

And your next project about FFE on a TDi engine, please do some research prior to undertaking it. Rest, is upto you, however, if there is a post on team-bhp which could have an influencing effect on other people, be sure to see similar posts after that modification too.

Anyway, since you have already spent some money on this thing, it will help a wee little bit, if you can probably manage heat shielding the "Universal Intake" (that's what that Blue thing is).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3665268)
I had a short ram intake fitted along with the Cosworth conical filter in my Figo 1.2. After extending the intake to a small gap in the front grill so it pulls in air from the outside, it made the engine run much smoother.
It does pull in more dust than the stock filter, but cleaning it once on six months does the trick.
It's more about breathing easier with no restrictions than a performance gain.

Did you have a water trap built into the system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3665285)
It definitely was taking in air from outside the vehicle and hence its ambient.
What does the intake size has to do with it, when it was already an "engineered" component.

Please define "Breathing better"!

When engine is allowed to breath through a bigger 5inch diameter hole compared to the smaller hole, the amount of air that goes inside the engine is definitely more hence it breaths better. And also the companies are subjected to provide a more fuel efficient engine rather than a powerful engine, so a lesser air flow inside will produce a smaller bang leading to less fuel consumption and more fuel efficient engine.

Quote:

If it is not behind the engine, where is it? Well if you still say, it is to the side, doesn't the hot air in contact with the engine flow into the filter?
The previous intake system was also inside the engine compartment only, and with all the piping, air had to travel a lot making it heat up inside the pipes more as compared to a directly fed system now. Yes, its hot there every time, but in a moving car if one considers, the chances are more of getting fresh air inside for a bigger bang for more power.

Quote:

Anyway, since you have already spent some money on this thing, it will help a wee little bit, if you can probably manage heat shielding the "Universal Intake" (that's what that Blue thing is).
Please check the first picture from original post, Cosworth calls it as a CAI, and as they know a thing or two about performance parts, i decided to trust them.

Allien,

Not sure if you have gone through this DIY that was done on a 1.2 Tdi Fabia,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...at-shield.html

Maybe it can give you some ideas to make your DIY better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allien936 (Post 3665683)
When engine is allowed to breath through a bigger 5inch diameter hole compared to the smaller hole, the amount of air that goes inside the engine is definitely more hence it breaths better.

You will probably need to do a little reading, about Ram effect and also what happens when airflow suddenly gets to expand. Its no big deal, any first year "heat and power" engineering text book will be sufficient.

I will rest my case here

Quote:

And also the companies are subjected to provide a more fuel efficient engine rather than a powerful engine, so a lesser air flow inside will produce a smaller bang leading to less fuel consumption and more fuel efficient engine.

Thats the standard logic that most cheap performance part maker will sell to you. Its upto you what you experience. However, more airflow would also make the engine more efficient, some more reading is adviced.

Quote:

Cosworth calls it as a CAI, and as they know a thing or two about performance parts, i decided to trust them.

Cosworth needs to sell and make money, they can call it anything. But if Cosworth were to tune your car, they would probably target your air intake differently. There is a better implementation on this thread itself. Please refer, however its still subject to flaws of real world usage.

However, research a bit on this forum itself, this thread could also throw some interesting insights

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5-bhp-faq.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3665705)
However, more airflow would also make the engine more efficient, some more reading is adviced.

More, or less for that matter, airflow by itself wont make an engine more efficient perse. It might affect the power output and the torque (curve) but not the efficiency.

Jeroen

Quote:

Please check the first picture from original post, Cosworth calls it as a CAI, and as they know a thing or two about performance parts, i decided to trust them.

Hello, you could consider using an OBD device to read the Intake-Air-Temp sensors' values with the Cosworth "CAI" & with the stock air-box just to be sure.

You may also find the following video useful :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

Also a nice article on Cold-Air-Intakes :

Nice DIY, by the way :thumbs up
-

Quote:

Originally Posted by im_srini (Post 3665758)
Hello, you could consider using an OBD device to read the Intake-Air-Temp sensors' values with the Cosworth "CAI" & with the stock air-box just to be sure.
-

Thnnks im_srini, i have seen this video, mighty car mods themselves have one more video specifically for naturally aspirated cars, and say to some extent its good to use the POD filters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA