Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 18:53   #1
BHPian

DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors

This tip might come in handy for those who have to park their cars in small garages.

Every time one opens a car door in closed confines of a garage, one risks putting the slightest of dents on the door or perhaps scratching the garage wall. Using a cylindrical piece of foam, somewhat akin to pool noodles, the effect of inadvertent blows on car doors or to the garage walls can be neutralized.

DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors-8ff95bd7baf14058bd32f75ba1df654b.jpg

Got the idea from pinterest.
shomshree is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 19:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors

I think that is a brilliant idea. Might save a lot of owners from the headache of attending to minor nicks, dents or scratches. Thanks for sharing mate.
Old 25th June 2015, 16:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors

Good tip to protect your car from this:
DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors-img_20150628_172505.jpg

Some more info on where to get these pool noodles:

Option 1 : You can buy these pool noodles from sports stores, or even Hamleys. Probably available in brighter colours at these stores (orange, blue, etc). I'm not sure of the pricing, but it'll be higher than option 2.

Option 2 : Find a store that deals with Polyethelyne cushion foam (more commonly referred to as hitlon). They should sell it much cheaper, though chances are it will only be available in black & white. I think these tubes are commonly used for insulating air-conditioning pipes. I bought about 25 Meters for a low amount - cant remember exactly, but roughly Rs. 200-300.

It comes in several diameters, as well as a thinner solid core version. Note that these are less than half the diameter of the orange tube shown above:
DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors-img20150504wa0003.jpg

One tip if you're using a full tube (rather than cutting it into a semi-circle like shown in the first post) is to make a small cut in one end of the tube, insert the screw, and then screw through the other side into the wall. That will keep the screw head from being exposed and touching your car. Remember to use a washer with the screw!

Here's a place you can get the tubes at Mohammad Ali Road in Mumbai:
DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors-img_20150505_123533.jpg

It's also worth noting that different cars will require the noodle to be placed at slightly different heights (depending on the shape of the doors). So it's safer to get a larger diameter noodle to account for this difference and have universal protection.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Typo
Rehaan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 08:47   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY : Pool Noodled Garage - Protection for Car Doors

That's a very helpful post. I will surely try something like thing in my garage.
Cheers guys.
Old 26th June 2015, 12:53   #5
DWC
BHPian

Thank you and bless you for an invaluable post. Ive already got a few nicks and scratches parking in my small garage. This will definitely come in handy.
Old 26th June 2015, 13:17   #6
BHPian

Coir is also a good option. Some old school mattress stores where they alter mattresses ormake custom cotton/coir bedding/pillows should be your source. Old foam pillows also help!

Plastic Packing material (not thermocol) is also a good option. Check with the logistics team in your office, there should be plenty to pick up..

The good thing about Coir is that you can use a simple adhesive like fevicol to first get the shape/thickness you want and paste it to the portion of the wall close to the door or even the wall in front to ensure the bumper is safe.

Give it to your kids and they will be happy to give the aesthetic touch!

Last edited by Neel : 26th June 2015 at 13:19.
Neel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 11:32   #7
BHPian

I have small transparent rubber moldings installed on my car at the edges to protect against such things...which I feel is a better option as it provides protection at parking lots outside of home as well...they dont look bad on the car as they are transparent and are quite cheap to buy
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 12:39   #8
BHPian

My uncle has a narrow garage where he parks his City and so he's wrapped the entire wall with foam. It not only protects his car from door opening scratches but also protects his car from bigger scratches when his daughter, a newbie driver, goes to park the car in there.
Old 5th July 2015, 18:40   #9
BHPian

That is a good tip.
I have some thick floor mats (bought cheap) fastened to the wall where the door opens. So that i can park either of my car (different ride heights, and different contact point to the wall) inside the garage, with out door damage.

Cheap and cheerful!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks