Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 22:52   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: GTI-spec Front Armrest installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi, What size socket did you have to use to fasten the bronze color nut that fixes the arm rest to the metal base? I have ordered an armrest which is on the way, and now I need to order a socket wrench. There are different types of socket wrenches which support different ranges of sockets. Want to make sure I get the right one. Also, would it be possible (even if it may be difficult) to manage this installation with normal spanners or is a socket wrench absolute necessity?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Hello, socket wrench is not absolutely necessary but without it may be hard to properly tighten the 4 bolts that hold the metal base to the floor of the car. It also depends on what type of bolts you get in your package. I received round bolts that work with a Torx bit. So I combined 2 tool kits and attached a Torx bit to the socket wrench.

I don't remember the size of the bronze nut. It may have been around 10mm.

Last edited by bowser : 14th October 2015 at 22:57.
bowser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 18:39   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Hello, socket wrench is not absolutely necessary but without it may be hard to properly tighten the 4 bolts that hold the metal base to the floor of the car. It also depends on what type of bolts you get in your package. I received round bolts that work with a Torx bit. So I combined 2 tool kits and attached a Torx bit to the socket wrench.

I don't remember the size of the bronze nut. It may have been around 10mm.
Hi, thanks for the response. I will then wait for the armrest to reach first and then choose the DIY tools accordingly.
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please let me know how it goes! If you're getting this done at a workshop make sure to watch those guys like a hawk! They have a tendency to lose screws and force components too hard.

Also, never ever tell the VW service center guys that you removed all those trims for the install. They'll immediately say you voided the warranty.

I had this experience first hand but my warranty was already expired anyway
I should thank you a thousand times for this thread. Without this thread I doubt if I would have installed the armrest.

Due to the second layer of PVC carpet I had installed in my Polo GT TSi, it became necessary to remove the complete center console and your instructions came to the rescue. Even with the instructions, it was a back breaking installation. But the end result was worth the sweat.

Thank you once again for this fantastic thread!

And I will never tell VW about all the dismantling of the center console

Last edited by graaja : 22nd October 2015 at 14:28.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I should thank you a thousand times for this thread. Without this thread I doubt if I would have installed the armrest.

Due to the second layer of PVC carpet I had installed in my Polo GT TSi, it became necessary to remove the complete center console and your instructions came to the rescue. Even with the instructions, it was a back breaking installation. But the end result was worth the sweat.

Thank you once again for this fantastic thread!

And I will never tell VW about all the dismantling of the center console
I am extremely glad to know that it helped you

With all the talk of it being a 10 minute install I started to get worried that I had done something wrong and that all these steps were unnecessary.

I didn't understand what problem the PVC carpet created. Can you please post some pics? Do you also have pics of the steps where you open the trims around the climate control and the gear shifter?

I'm also having trouble understanding how frankmehta could install this in his TSI in just a couple of steps.
bowser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

With all the talk of it being a 10 minute install I started to get worried that I had done something wrong and that all these steps were unnecessary.

I didn't understand what problem the PVC carpet created. Can you please post some pics? Do you also have pics of the steps where you open the trims around the climate control and the gear shifter?

I'm also having trouble understanding how frankmehta could install this in his TSI in just a couple of steps.
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures during the installation process, as I thought your thread, Gannu's thread and the FB album Frank had shared had all the instructions and clear pictures. Also, as I was profusely sweating and no one around to help with photogrphs (I was home alone), I could not take any pictures during installation.

Regarding the carpet, see below picture.

VW Polo DIY: GTI-spec Front Armrest installation-cup-holder.jpg

The extra carpet is the one with the diamond pattern. This has been placed above the OEM carpet. This adds about 10mm of thickness over the existing carpet. So, when we remove the first screw of the console behind the hand brake and lift it, the gap created to insert the metal stand is reduced by 10mm. Maybe without this extra layer of carpet, the stand can be inserted in some angle with some extra lifting pressure on the center console (thus risking something to break). Maybe that is how Frank managed to fix it in his car.

I have uploaded the pictures after installation in my ownership thread in the below link.

Center Armrest - DIY Install
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Bowser, my cupholder armrest was also installed like Frank's. We didn't remove the entire units & just managed to squeeze the clamp in. It's a risky job since you have to pry the plastic open & work while holding it & chances of breaking are higher. But neither of us had an issue & got it installed without removing much. Like I said, risky busines...
polo_ankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 00:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures during the installation process, as I thought your thread, Gannu's thread and the FB album Frank had shared had all the instructions and clear pictures.
Yeah I understand

Do you remember if the number of screws and their positions behind the climate control and gear shifter were the same as in my guide?
Old 24th October 2015, 07:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah I understand

Do you remember if the number of screws and their positions behind the climate control and gear shifter were the same as in my guide?
The only difference between your instructions and my car was the screws you have shown to the right and left sides of the cup holders were missing in my car. There was this metal fork but no screws. Either these screws are not present in the GT or the guys who fit the PVC mat removed these and did not put them back. Otherwise all the screws were in the same position as described in your instructions.
Old 16th April 2016, 11:35   #24
BHPian

I plan to install the arm rest with the cup holder today for my GT TSI. I will try and see if I can do it with just the last piece, as I am not very confident opening all the pieces and putting them back.
Old 18th April 2016, 21:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
I plan to install the arm rest with the cup holder today for my GT TSI. I will try and see if I can do it with just the last piece, as I am not very confident opening all the pieces and putting them back.
If you haven't installed it yet, can you please make a video or take pics of this "shortcut" procedure?
Old 14th December 2018, 12:27   #26
BHPian

I know this is an old thread, but after trying unsuccessfully to source the OEM VW GTI armrest, I finally gave in and bought one on AliExpress. WITHOUT reading this thread. I bought the cupholder version.

Will anyone who has installed the cupholder version in a GT TSI please confirm that the above steps are required?
Old 18th March 2019, 19:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I know this is an old thread, but after trying unsuccessfully to source the OEM VW GTI armrest, I finally gave in and bought one on AliExpress. WITHOUT reading this thread. I bought the cupholder version.

Will anyone who has installed the cupholder version in a GT TSI please confirm that the above steps are required?
Were you able to install the OEM GTI armrest without removing the complete centre console? Also would you mind posting a link to the listing on AliExpress where you bought it from?

Many thanks.
Old 18th March 2019, 21:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Were you able to install the OEM GTI armrest without removing the complete centre console? Also would you mind posting a link to the listing on AliExpress where you bought it from?

Many thanks.
Nope. I didn't want to risk taking shortcuts and breaking anything. So I did it the hard way. It was my first DIY, so I took a lot of time. But it is totally worth it. I bought it here.

Good luck.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 14:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Nope. I didn't want to risk taking shortcuts and breaking anything. So I did it the hard way. It was my first DIY, so I took a lot of time.
For the benefit of others, the steps to install the arm rest with the cup holder without removing the center console is documented by an user of VW Polo Malaysian Community on Facebook. This link is documented elsewhere on Team-BHP.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3661226&type=3

I used the steps mentioned in this thread along with the ones in the FB post to install the arm rest 3 years ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...lo-gt-tsi.html (Some DIY improvements to my VW Polo GT TSI)
srinivasnvns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 10:40   #30
BHPian

Very good DIY and that's a lot of screws to be remembered and screwed back I always hesitate to remove these trims in my car because of the fear of breaking them in the process. They are so delicate that even if you mess up one locking part of the trim, we will end up in a rattling plastic or a misfit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks