Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2015, 22:36   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Mesh Grill (Honda Amaze)

@ Wanderers,

This mesh is made of Aluminium so rusting is not as issue and they have endeared Bombay monsoons and still haven't rusted, just make sure you buy a Aluminium one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
You could have used Araldite as well. It forms a chemical bond that stays. There are other synthetic adhesives available but others might have some side effects.

Araldite should suit you fine if this comes off later.

Cheers
MKP
I will try araldite and let you know how that holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
I would consider painting the mesh black using a spray can to help it blend with the body and also prevent rusting, wonder how a body coloured mesh would look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
Hi noelnelly.

Nice and clean DIY Mesh grill.
Paint the mesh grill black. It will prevent rusting and will sync with the upper grill. Looks kind of odd now. Just my 2 cents.

Happy motoring.
Like I said it's a personal choice and also since it's a dark coloured car I choose to leave it like that.
And regarding the body coloured one, Whiplash, you too seem to have an Amaze, how about you do something similar in body colour and then we'll know how that will look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
This is a nice and neat job and I think it makes sense to have this protective grill.
However, my experience of using MSeal in my car was not good as its sealing/ sticking property is not very effective in areas near heat. In my car over a period of about 2-3 months the MSeal cracked and came off.
This DIY was actually done last year but I wasn't a member back then and you're right, the grill has come loose in certain places. I'm in two minds about upgrading my horn since the OEM one is too punny and also because it was malfunctioning in the rains, so if I happen to remove the bumper to address that issue I'll try araldite to fix it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Brilliant DIY... looks classy, understated and brilliant.

I Agree with you, this colour is best suited to your car. Will be on the look out for your update on something that is a more permanent fix compared to m-seal
Finally someone who agrees to my point of view and yes I'll keep this thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi29 View Post
+1 to painting it black.

Rusting shouldn't be an issue if its Aluminum, which he has used here.
Yes it's Aluminium so it won't rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Nice and simple DIY. Looks great. Cant some wires be used to hold at the edges if there are any openings somewhere?

Honestly, for something that looks so good, I wouldn't mind drilling a few holes
There are absolutely no openings, I'll keep drilling holes as my last resort, I'll just play trial and error till then.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2015 at 11:38. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
Old 31st October 2015, 11:58   #17
BHPian

Dear noelnelly,

Good job.
Since I stopped using bikes and switched to 4-wheelers, I have avoided DIY.

The way you have made it look simple (which I have a feeling it is not all that simple!), I am tempted to try my hand at DIY again....

I think the color looks good on your car.
For sealing, even I think M-Seal has a tendency to come out in bits and pieces. Like others have suggested, you can consider Araldite. Another alternative is to choose some silicone based adhesive. I am told that even after drying, it tends to be flexible and so does not crack or fail either due to heat or vibration. Please note: I have no first hand experience - just heard that way.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 14:06   #18

Congratulations! Neat work, and the end-result looks cool ─ goes well with the color of the car too.

I was just wondering if the restricted flow of air to the radiators (engine + AC), which are located just behind the spot where you have installed the new grill, can cause issues with cooling efficiency. Have you noticed the cooling fan switching on more often than before you installed this grill, or any other cooling-related symptoms? I recall, over a decade ago when Maruti 'refreshed' the Maruti 800 with a new grill that had honey-combs instead of the horizontal fins, they actually measured a 15% reduction in cooling efficiency.
car_da_mum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 14:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear noelnelly,

Good job.
Since I stopped using bikes and switched to 4-wheelers, I have avoided DIY.

The way you have made it look simple (which I have a feeling it is not all that simple!), I am tempted to try my hand at DIY again....

I think the color looks good on your car.
For sealing, even I think M-Seal has a tendency to come out in bits and pieces. Like others have suggested, you can consider Araldite. Another alternative is to choose some silicone based adhesive. I am told that even after drying, it tends to be flexible and so does not crack or fail either due to heat or vibration. Please note: I have no first hand experience - just heard that way.

Girish Mahajan
Thank you Girish,

Trust me, it is not at all difficult even if you're a teeny bit mechanically inclined. Silicon adhesive, that's probably gonna work. Or how about fiber glass, what is your view on that?

And you should definitely try your hand at this DIY and from what I have grasped, you have a little experience with DIY's so this will be a piece of cake for you, I'm sure. Do give it a try and let us all know how it went.

Regards,
Noel.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 10:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_da_mum View Post
Congratulations! Neat work, and the end-result looks cool ─ goes well with the color of the car too.

I was just wondering if the restricted flow of air to the radiators (engine + AC), which are located just behind the spot where you have installed the new grill, can cause issues with cooling efficiency. Have you noticed the cooling fan switching on more often than before you installed this grill, or any other cooling-related symptoms? I recall, over a decade ago when Maruti 'refreshed' the Maruti 800 with a new grill that had honey-combs instead of the horizontal fins, they actually measured a 15% reduction in cooling efficiency.
Thank you car_da_mum.

As far as cooling efficiency goes, I haven't experienced any difference in the way the fan behaves. The thing is, the thickness of the mesh is not that much, hardly a millimeter which makes a negligible difference to air flow. With the Maruti 800 though, the honey comb grill was quite butch, the thickness of that part between the holes being 6-8 millimeters. That's the theory part.

Practically I haven't come across any change in the 15k kilometers I have driven post the modification. So rest assured it will not cause any negative effects mechanicallly.

Thank you for pointing this out, I hadn't given this much thought and now that I've analysed it, I'm much more relieved.
Old 6th November 2015, 03:15   #21
BHPian

Looking nice. How durable is this mesh? A dent or even slight irregularity will spoil the entire beauty ! Black will look more premium and sporty- me too feel.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Looking nice. How durable is this mesh? A dent or even slight irregularity will spoil the entire beauty ! Black will look more premium and sporty- me too feel.
The mesh is quite light weight but strong to resist change, being aluminium so it is durable, the good thing being that in case of a dent or the kind, you just pull it back with something and it stays that way.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:14   #23
BHPian

Well, That's a very neat and clean job executed there. Thanks for sharing.

And Yes, I loved the tool box also. Is it a D.I.Y stuff too? It looks pretty clean and neatly designed. Any link where I can buy this kind of tool box if its available online?
Old 27th November 2015, 13:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
Well, That's a very neat and clean job executed there. Thanks for sharing.

And Yes, I loved the tool box also. Is it a D.I.Y stuff too? It looks pretty clean and neatly designed. Any link where I can buy this kind of tool box if its available online?
Thank you. The tool box was bought and is not a DIY wonder

I bought it from a hardware store that deals with tools and industrial equipment in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai. I don't know about the online aspect, I paid 600 for it 2-3 years back.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks