Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 10:41   #46
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Then the fuse isn't the culprit.

Have you ensured that you have pushed the central airbag module inside the steering wheel properly and the 2 clips on the either side have locked itself in place?
Yes, the airbag module was locked into the clips properly, I verified using a mirror to see the clips.

Another doubt that I had was I don't see the copper contacts that trigger the horn circuit completion when pressed, refer to images below.
The first 2 images are from stock steering wheel and the last one is from MK7 GTI steering wheel. Could the missing copper contact points be an issue?

Old Steering Wheel with clearly visible copper contact points.
VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-old-wheel1.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-old-wheel2.jpeg

New GTI Steering wheel
VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-gti-wheel.jpeg
Old 11th October 2017, 00:27   #47

Is anyone aware of any other seller who sells these MK7 MFSW's? Sent a couple of messages to the seller mentioned on this thread and there has been no response. Would be great if someone could provide some leads on this.
My requirements would be very similar to what's mentioned in this thread. Have a manual transmission Polo 1.6. Hence, no paddle shifters and cruise control buttons.
Old 18th October 2017, 06:04   #48
BHPian

Better late than never.... excellent thread!!

I need a help from the experts.

Can the attached steering be used as a plug and play replacement for the stock steering on 2014 Jetta 1.4TSi CL?

If yes, then how will the controls map for controlling the multi-function display and radio?

Also, is there a possibility of enabling cruise control if I install this steering?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-sl1600.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-sl1600-1.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2017, 16:43   #49
BHPian

I finally got my MK7 GTI MFSW horn working after upgrading the existing MK6 steering wheel. The issue was with the difference in wiring harness of MK6 and MK7 MFSW and the connection of the horn on these.
I contacted the seller gcptuning on ebay and he asked me to connect a repair wire 000 979 009 from pin 4 of the black connector (shown by yellow arrow head in image 1) to the point displayed by yellow arrow head on 2nd image.
I ordered the repair wire from AliExpress, received it in 15 days, but ran into another problem. I could not insert the repair wire into the 4th pin of the black connector with ease, so I pushed it a little. After certain distance it refused to go any further, but I kept on increasing the force. As a result - the connector broke off midway.
I somehow managed to pull out the broken connector from inside the socket using a forceps and tried with the other end of the repair wire as it was still intact but to no avail.
I finally decided to use a normal striped wire and inserted its striped copper end inside the socket and used to zip tie to tie it to the rest of the wiring harness to keep it in place. The issue with this make shift arrangement was that on inserting the socket back into its slot on the steering wheel pushed the wire out of the black socket, but after several attempts I somehow succeeded in making the horn work.
I am now afraid this make shift arrangement won't last long and would like to go for a sturdier repair wire connection.
Can the experts guide me on how to insert the repair wire contact point inside the black socket? I have seen pictures of this connector open from the front.
One such image can be seen on AliExpress as well. Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-5pinconnector.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade-airbag-contact.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2020, 01:45   #50
BHPian

I'm looking to purchase a GTI steering with Paddles for my Vento. I'm looking to import it from US or Romania. But I've heard people saying we've to check the MFSW buttons' part number to ensure compatibility. Would those among you who already have a GTI steering be able to help me with the part number? It would be listed under the Central Electronics module of the BCM..
Old 29th September 2021, 12:54   #51
BHPian

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a question about the steering wheel upgrade and this thread popped up on query. Plus Gannu is a VW upgrade god.
I am probably going to buy the Comfortline Polo TSI auto. I have all the things in it that I need except for the steering wheel with the MID and music system + phone controls on it. Im sure the steering wheel from the highline version should fit in it and be usable. I don't particularly need the cruise control and Im not sure if that can be made to work via the steering wheel controls in a comfortline.
I wanted to ask:
a) how much is this upgrade likely to cost
b) Does anyone know a reliable FNG for VW in Pune who can do it for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks