Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet

Inspired by Gannu_1's thread, I decided to install gas struts to open the hood in my Linea T-Jet.

The first step was to take some measurements and decide on the brackets that need to be fabricated and what struts I will need. As most cars have two struts on either edge, I also decided to have two struts. Even my boot lid has 2 struts rated 390N. Here is how the calculation is done.

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-calculation.jpg

The extended length of the struts I was looking for needed to be 430 mm to 440 mm. Based on Gannu_1's experience, I contacted SGS Engineering, who came back with a quote of £18.64 per strut. Add to this the shipping cost and possible customs, the project was turning out to be more expensive than I would have liked.

So, I did some more research and realized that the Grande Punto has 436 mm Magneti Marelli struts to open the hatch lid, rated at 350 N, with a 170 mm stroke length. The cost was just ₹ 904 each. Additionally, the GP also had a screw type ball pin on the hatch, while the ball pin on the body was riveted in place. So, I will need 4 of these pins to go on either end of each strut. These pins were available for ₹ 78 each. So, I was looking at ₹ 2350 - for two struts, 4 pins + shipping from 99rpm. Went ahead and ordered these.

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-img_20151221_111722803_hdr1.jpg

While I wait for delivery, decided to design the brackets to fit the car. The Linea hinge screws are on the side, so the bracket does not have to be bent.
The bracket that goes on the body will have to be bent at 90*. Shared my initial design with the guy who was getting it done for me.

Decided to get these brackets laser cut in 2.5 mm stainless steel sheet, then get it powder coated in matt black. Also decided to use M8 stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylock nuts. No rusting issues. Peace of mind.

Since the laser cutting shop needs the drawings in a specific format, these drawings were made and finalized.

This goes on the hood

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-top-bracket.jpg

and this goes on the body

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-bottom-bracket.jpg

It was Monday, the 21st Dec. The courier brought in the goodies I had ordered from 99rpm. It is always thrilling to receive car parts. My guy who was helping with the laser cutting and powder coating called up and told me that the industrial area was closed on Monday - due to load shedding holiday. So he will be able to give me a quote only on Tuesday. I was disappointed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. A friend who owns a Punto also wanted to get it done and we had to take measurements of the Punto and then make sure that the brackets originally designed would fit that as well. Turned out, it wont. So, it was back to the drawing board to redesign brackets that would suit both the Punto and the Linea. While we were at it, we decided to make one hole in the bracket that goes on the hood an open ended slot, so that one screw will only need to be undone partially. We also made 4 holes in the bracket that goes on the body, to have flexiblity of the fixed mounting point. Here is the outcome of that exercise.

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-img_20160109_1957016201.jpg

After fitting on the car

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-img_20160110_084130095_hdr1.jpg

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-img_20160110_084139775_hdr1.jpg

Short video of the struts in action

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 10th January 2016 at 09:07.
PatchyBoy is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 09:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet

Thread moved from Assembly Line to the DIY section. Thanks for sharing PatchyBoy!
Old 10th January 2016, 12:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet

That's a really good addition, I wanted to fix gas struts to my Linea's hood!

Thanks ALOT for sharing this project! Will reach out if I get stuck anywhere
Old 12th January 2016, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Re: Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet

Absolutely Brilliant DIY... been wanting to try something like this on my Jeep MM540. Will refer to your thread as a reference point for it
Old 12th January 2016, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I have mentioned in my OP that only one strut can be installed in the GP, on the driver side.
What a fantastic DIY. Hats off to you Sir.

Now that you have mentioned that the GP can take only one strut, will this mods lead to any kind of sagging specifically during opening on the end where there is no strut. Presently since the opening of the hood is supported by hand on the left side particularly while fixing the hood stopper.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent this! Very cost effective also. How much did the fabrication cost you?
Old 13th January 2016, 10:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Excellent this! Very cost effective also. How much did the fabrication cost you?
Parts used with cost -

1. 2.5mm SS brackets, powdercoated in matt black - ₹ 300 each x 4 = ₹ 1200
2. Stainless steel fittings - ₹ 75 per side x 2 = ₹ 150
3. Fiat part number 51778432 Strut - ₹ 904 x 2 = ₹ 1808
4. Fiat part number 51762519 Pin - ₹ 79 x 4 = ₹316

Total cost of the project - ₹ 3474.
PatchyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 14:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks very neat and a practical DYI. One question though, With these things, can you still drop the bonnet in place while locking it or one has to press the bonnet down?
Old 14th January 2016, 15:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Looks very neat and a practical DYI. One question though, With these things, can you still drop the bonnet in place while locking it or one has to press the bonnet down?
Closing is still the same. You manually lower the bonnet and drop it from about 20-30 cm to closing.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 23:59   #10
BHPian

Team,

I have a very humble request. I consider Instagram to be an image sharing platform, meant for photographers. I am old school that way. I only folow photographers on Insta & only post my own pictures in Insta. Please do not send me a follow request, if you want to talk to me about stuff other than Photography. Any questions about my threads / posts here, ask here. I may not respond immediately, but eventually will. My priorities are different than yours.

Here is the dimensional drawing of the brackets used. This is the final design. Works for both the pre-FL Linea & Grande Punto

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-bottom_2d.jpg

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-bottom_driverside_3d.jpg

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-bottom_passengerside_3d.jpg

Linea T-Jet DIY: Installing gas struts to lift the bonnet-top_2d.jpg

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 11th January 2024 at 00:06.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:37   #11

This is an amazing build and modification. Is it possible for you to share the file of the bracket drawing shown above in .dxf format?

Most Viewed