Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2016, 02:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
  • Bondtite Fast & Clear adhesive – to stick the mount to the windshield. I used a 6g pack which comes with 2 tubes; sufficient for this installation. The glue is whitish in appearance after mixing, sets in about an hour and has a curing time of 24 hours.
Hi Gannu,

Would Araldite serve the same purpose as Bondtite?

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Gannu Bhai, After searching a lot, Finally got the Bondtite Fast and Clear from a hardware store in Sector 45 Chandigarh. Even the owner told me that fevitite rapid comes off due to heat.
Hi sunilsoft, Even I am facing same issue, not able to get Bondtite. Did you fix mirror mount using Bondtite and how is it holding up?

Regards.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2016 at 03:10. Reason: B2B posts merged.
Old 29th October 2016, 03:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror

Araldite requires a strong external force to keep the bonded surfaces pressed for over a day before you can use them. Bondtite OTOH sets in much faster.

I would rate Bondtite to be much better going by my experience of sticking the mount, the front parking sensor mounts etc. Ask hardware outlets that deal with glasses, mirrors etc. They may have Bondtite.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 13:34   #18
BHPian

re: VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror

Thanks to Gannu_1 for the detailed DIY. I managed to source an auto dimming mirror from a Skoda Superb along with the mounts and installed it in my polo GT TSI. Below are some of the answers for questions I did not get an answer to earlier. Putting them here so it can help others trying this mod.

1. The colour of the wire that needs to go to the fusebox for powering the mirror is red with orange stripes. It's in terminal 1 in the 6 terminal connector.
2. Fevicol has an alternative with the name " FeviTITE ". Used it to mount the metal base mount and it stayed there despite running the car in 42 degrees for over 4 hours and rough roads. I gave it a good wack with a mallet and it dint move an inch so I guess its relibale. It was tough to get hold of bond tite. Even amazon wasnt of any help. After trying over 30 shops in a 5 kms radius, nobody seemed to have them. 1 store had it but it was a 500 gram pack which defeats the purpose of getting bondtite against the conventional window sealant.

I had used my torque wrench storage tube to put constant pressure on the fixture to ensure proper bonding while it cures. Here are some pictures

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror-c915a9e0754e4ce59bc5bec992d4f359.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror-dfd2e4b484ee4cf1b102a5d11a382120.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror-bde2b5e70a58494895e7315434d863dc.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OE auto-dimming interior mirror-3dadb741aef447a49f2c5d492f12d5cc.jpeg

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 29th May 2020 at 13:36.
kingofmyworld is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks