Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:37   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Yesterday, Johan came around and picked up the Spider wheels. I have also given him the spare one. He will take the best old tyre and put it on the spare. When changing tyres, this is a good practice. Obviously, you will still have an old tyre, but its only the spare. The Spider spare tyre had been giving me a little trouble as it was loosing its air pressure if just a few months, so good thing it is being replaced.

This (Sunday) afternoon I decided to finish the work on the Spider. Which meant filling up the brake system with brake fluid and bleed it probably. Those of you who have followed this thread will know I have two different tools to bleed brakes. One a vacuum system and one a pressure system.

I decided to use the vacuum system first, that will probably fill the whole system. Last time when I used it, you might recall, I had some problems. I found out later why. I will show below.

With the vacuum bleeder, the brake fluid is automatically filled with this auto-replenish canister: Notice the various rags, underneath news papers, to collect any accidental spillage of brake fluid.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020008.jpg

The sequence of which brakes is related to starting with the brakes with the longest brake line and working your way down to the one with the shortest brake line. On a left hand drive car, usually the right rear brake line is the longest.

So the vacuum-tool connected:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020010.jpg

Next left rear:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020014.jpg

Right front

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020017.jpg

Left front:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020018.jpg

Here is where it went wrong last time. The brake fluid reservoir is not one big reservoir. In fact it has a front and rear chamber. When you fill it with brake fluid it goes into the front chamber. Near its max level it start overflowing into the rear chamber. An extra safety precaution!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020012.jpg

Last time, the auto replenish canister was set to deep in the front chamber, so it replenished the front chamber, but not to the extend of it spilling over into the rear chamber. Which meant when I was bleeding the brakes connected to the rear chamber I drew out all the brake fluid!!

This time I was more cautious and I had adjusted the auto-fill canister properly.

It is a very simple to use system; Push this rubber cup onto the brake bleed valve

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020016.jpg

Start the vacuum pump, Open up the bleed valve about 1/4 - 1/3 turn:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020015.jpg

See the air bubbles and brake fluid coming through the transparant tube, watch the level in the auto-fill canister come down, ensure the rear chamber keeps failing. Close the bleed valve when only clear brake fluid, no air bubbles come through.

I have a bunch of new, used and opened containers of brake fluid. I tend to write on them, if it is used, or the date at which I opened it:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020013.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020011.jpg

Once I had done all four brakes, I tested the brake system. Remember, the new callipers had their pistons all the way in. So I carefully pumped the brake, with very small strokes until I felt resistance. It felt pretty good, but not perfect. So I decided to give the system a final pressure bleed as well.

All ready to go

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020019.jpg

This system gets pressurised from a tyre. Mind you, maximum pressure is 1.4 bar, so you need to let some air out of the tyre first. Once I forgot, a line burst and there was brake fluid everywhere!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020020.jpg

Once done, I put the pressure back onto 2,5 bars. This is the spare wheel of the Mercedes W123.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020021.jpg

I tried the brake pedal again. A noticeable difference. Tiny bit of travel and then rock hard! Just as it should be.

So a quick double check I had tightened all brake bleed valves and put the dust caps back on.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020022.jpg

With this pressure bleeder, the brake fluid reservoir fills completely, right up to the rim

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020035.jpg

So I have this huge thing to extract brake fluid

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020036.jpg

All full

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2020035.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1963998

A little less full:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020037.jpg

Put the little filter back in

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020038.jpg

In all, the work on the brakes has taken me probably some 5-6 hours, spread out over 4-5 days. Usually, I clean up and put away all my tools, but not when the job is not finished. I am always amazed at how many tools come out.

Part of the problem is that I keep a lot of my tools in the car’s boot. I know exactly where everything is. But if you are not familiar with my garage, you could not find a thing.

My wife and I tend to be away 2-3 weeks early January on holiday / family visit. As it so happens we have good friends who run a B&B in France. During the winter months they tend to stay in the Netherlands. They usually stay in our house, whilst we are away. Cees is a very good and handy spanner guy. He often does all sort of job in my garage. But he will text me endlessly because he can never find any of my tools.

They are spread all over the place:

Some are in cupboards

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020026.jpg

Some are in the W123:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020027.jpg

Some are in the Spider:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020031.jpg

Some are in the Jaguar

But at the end of such a job there are tools everywhere

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020033.jpg

Tools just about everywhere:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020028.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020023.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020024.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020025.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020032.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020030.jpg

It took quite a bit of time, cleaning all the tools and getting them back where they belong. Cleaned my garage floor very thoroughly as well.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd February 2020 at 02:02.
Jeroen is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:53   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

As the rims of the Spider will be looking like new, I decided that I should also get some new centre badges, including locking rings.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020004.jpg

I have also been checking for some new nut lugs as the Americans call them. The funniest story about lug nuts:

Anyway, this how they looked earlier this afternoon:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020039.jpg

Later, that afternoon:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020040.jpg

I managed to polish them up real nicely. I used one of the old brake disc to hold the nut, whilst putting various pneumatic tools to them:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020041.jpg

Yesterday, I was out at one of the DIY centre. Picked up a few simple tools. They will be very handy when I am working on my mini mill. I found my regular caliber to big to fit underneath the mini mill.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020006.jpg

So, finally job done and my garages looks all neat and tidy again:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020042.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2020043.jpg

I will not be able to test my new brakes and discs till 1st of March! I had another look at the cooling water leakage. Can not find it, need to run the engine. So that will come later some time

Next I need to order new tyres for my rims. Johan will install them. He will also try to put the balancing weight on the inside of the rim. Which looks a lot smarter!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:11   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
If you could pen down your Barbados logs, especially the Yacht sailing experience with photos, it would be a great read for sure.
Actually, I forgot; Whilst we were living in the USA and India, I maintained a personal website/blog. It has some bits about Barbados holidays.

As it is a personal website I am supposed not to share it on TeamBHP, so I will send the link by PM.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:57   #454
BHPian

Thanks once again for the link, also for the detailed insight on Yacht Jeroen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Actually, I forgot; Whilst we were living in the USA and India, I maintained a personal website/blog. It has some bits about Barbados holidays.

Jeroen
Nempuguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 18:21   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a great trip to the Retromobile in Paris.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyon...020-paris.html (The Retromobile Car Show, 2020 @ Paris)

However, I noticed a small problem with my new Michelin tyres on the Jaguar. At speeds between 95-110 km/h I noticed some vibrations coming through my seat. Not the steering wheel, just through the seat. Which usually suggest some problems with the rear tyres/rims.

So I went back to my friends at Euromaster. They quickly checked the rear tyres and sure enough. On both the balance was a bit off, so they did a complete new balancing of the tyres.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2320.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2321.jpg

I have taken the car onto the motorway for 10 minutes and things have improved considerable. I am not convinced yet, it is completely gone. On this car the tyres always take a little while to settle. Every time the car has sat idle, the first 10-15 minutes on the motorway it suffers from vibrations. Usually after 15 minutes it disappears completely. We will have to see.

Johan has send another one of his mates to have a look at the missing stripe. This guy, Dirk lives 600 meters from us and besides a full time job installing packaging machines in his spare time he runs his own company providing stick on logo’s and company names and such for cars. He can make anything, providing he can get the base material in the right colour and texture. He is coming around tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 14:44   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Dirk just came round and we looked at quite a number of different colours. We think we have a match, so he is going ahead and order the material.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-41d0efd14347422295d738b55fc06c0f.jpeg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-ab1f68117b38432a8b9a6db9fa20a625.jpeg
Old 16th February 2020, 22:16   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend when I went to see the RetroMobile in Paris, we had this huge storm in Europe. This weekend, another storm, Dennis. Not as bad as last weekend, but still a lot of wind and a lot of rain.

So I decided to stay home and just fiddle with my cars the whole day!

First thing, the Jaguar needed a proper cleaning. I quickly took it to the self car wash and hosed it down and drove back home. Dried it and then time for some claying!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160001.jpg

I started claying my car, or rather the Jaguar, when we lived in Kansas City. I became a concours d’elegance judge for the Jaguar club, which meant when I showed up with my car, it had to look at least half decent.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160003.jpg

This clay is amazing, it makes a huge difference. When your clay starts to look like the one on the left, get a new piece. Also, when you accidentally drop it on the floor, get a new piece. It is just not worth putting scratches into your paint, because the clay picked up some big pieces of dirt.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160002.jpg

After the clay, wax all over and also attention to all the chrome bits.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160007.jpg

Lots of elbow grease required!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160008.jpg

Now and then I also detach the stainless steel rims of the headlights:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160010.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160009.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160011.jpg

Another item I check once a year, is the sun roof. Make sure it still slides back and forth, make sure the drains are open, no muck around it.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160012.jpg

I just use simple vaseline to lubricate the runners of the sliding roof

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160013.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160014.jpg

I still had some of the original rim wax from my time in the USA

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160015.jpg

this was really fantastic stuff, can not get it here. But I think it has gone off. It is supposed to look purple, but it is not supposed to have a lot of the very clear fluid standing on top it. It still smelled ok, but I decided to throw it out. For today I just used one of my ordinary car waxes.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160016.jpg

The amount of brake dust that builds up on your rims depends on a number of different factors. The type of pads is really important. that is where it all starts. These pads hardly produce any dust, or rather they produce a very light coloured dust!

The shape of your rims makes a difference as well. Hard lines and corners will make it gradually more difficult to clean them properly. I just love my rims on the Jaguar. Nothing special, these are just the originals ones, straight from the factory. But they really suit the car, and are very easy to clean and keep clean. All rounded and smooth!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160017.jpg

On the forum we have recently opened a thread on general music taste. When I am working on my cars, or just fiddling in my garage, I will listen to the radio.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160018.jpg

Once a year, I do an extra thorough job of cleaning and waxing. Which means the insides of the door, the bootlid etc. Basically, anywhere there is paint and I can get at, will get cleaned and waxed.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160019.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160020.jpg

I find it makes a huge difference in the upkeep of the car. Properly waxed, all these bits stay clean much longer. Dust and muck do not adhere easily to clean, waxed surfaces.

I quite like cleaning and waxing my cars. I find it a nice relaxing and very rewarding little job. Also, it allows you to spot anything amiss. Just noticed the paint is coming off on the registration plate holder. You will need to go to one of the first posts in this thread to see me custom make this plate holder! So it looks I will need to give it a respray soon.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160021.jpg

Just remembered, the only thing I bought at Retromobile. Event Poster. They usually sell them for just a few Euro’s.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160022.jpg

It took me about 6-7 hours to clean, wax, polish, vacuum the Jaguar. But it looks really good. I have decided I will get a dust cover for it.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160024.jpg

Next job on the Mercedes W123. This is something that has been annoying me for years, maybe even as long as I have this car. The door handle on the driver seat is a bit wonky.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160025.jpg

Today I decided, the time to fix it once and for all has come. You can still buy the complete assembly for around Euro 85-95. Second hand ones are plenty around, but very often the same problem.

First thing, remove the door card

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160026.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160028.jpg

This needs to come out:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160027.jpg

As usual with most jobs on the Mercedes, taking things apart is easy and straight forward

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 16th February 2020 at 22:18.
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 22:28   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

So, here we have the offending part:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160029.jpg

First thing to take it apart down to its individual components:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160030.jpg

And here you can see what the problem is, the hole in the little handle has worn considerably, its oval instead of round

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160031.jpg

You can see the play with the little pin inserted:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160034.jpg

I decided to make a simple bushing, enlarge the hole in the handle, fit the bush and that would do. Problem is, I don’t have a lathe (YET!). So it took me about an hour of rummaging through various part bins to find a round piece of metal, that had the correct outside diameter.

Drilled the correct diameter hole in it with my fancy Mini Mill.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160035.jpg

Here you see, it all ready, sitting on my little vice.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160037.jpg

Now the hole/oval in the handle needed to drilled to the exact same diameter as the little bushing:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160036.jpg

Hammer the bushing into the handle

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160038.jpg

All bits together again and voila, all done! At no cost at all, a completely re-furbished, almost as good as new, door handle assembly!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2160039.jpg

In all honesty, I do not know how long this will last. But I do not use the Mercedes very often, so I reckon, if I am lucky it will hold till the kids inherit it.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 19th February 2020 at 19:13.
Jeroen is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 03:29   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant. I love the door handle refurb!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:40   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

I spend two hours last night, trying to find where the Spider leaks cooling liquid. Can not find it. Several times I have found a very small puddle. Cleaned it up and a few days later it is back. Does not even move the level in the cooling liquid reservoir. But still.

Very frustrating. I have used all of my various lights, mirror, scope, wiggled my hand in between every part of the engine to feel for any wetness. Stuck my head underneath the car, crawled underneath the engine / transmission. Nada!

I can see a few drips hanging from the oil sump, but I can not trace it back where they are coming from.

I will have to wait to get it back onto the road and get it on the lift at Goof’s.

This Saturday Johan will deliver the newly sprayed wheels, with new Michelin’s fitted. Also Dirk is coming around to fit the striping on the Jaguar.

Monday Tuesday I will have Matthieu working on the Spider for two days, polishing. Next week Friday, spanner mater and professional car valuer Peter is coming around to value all three of my cars for the insurance renewal. Well, if anything, all cars should look their best!

Also, doing a lot of research for a nice lathe. Homing in on a Sieg.

https://www.sieg-machines.de/Mini-La...s-300-mm-370-W

I have visited two shops here in the Netherlands. I have seen a lot of very good reviews on this particular model. Not a professional lath by any means, but for the money an excellent all-round hobby lath it seems. My birthday is up in a few weeks, so I will need to talk to my wife.

Jeroen
Old 21st February 2020, 12:51   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the interesting, sometimes frustrating, part of owning and fiddling with cars, is finding parts, or information. The internet has made a huge difference obviously.

I have been on the prowl to find the missing part to my Souriau Diagnostic tester, my friend Berndt and I bought some time ago. I have narrowed it down to what is known as the HT-Probe. Here is the problem/challenge: This is a French make tester. There are not a lot of them left in the Netherlands. Lots of people know these kind of testers, but very few know about actual Souriau testers.

As I mentioned earlier, I did manage to trace the original Dutch importer. I managed to get to speak to one of their service technicians, who remembered this particular tester well. But could not help out regarding manual and or parts.

I have been googling for quite some time, using various Souriau, tester, diagnostics. I used French catch words as well. I have found the odd advertisement for similar tester on French website. I have contacted them all, but never got a reply. I have joined a few French classic car forum and left notes if anybody could help me with information on this tester. No replies.

I have found two companies, one in Belgium, one in the Netherlands, who specialise in restoring these old workshop tester. But they work mostly on Sun testers and are not that familiar with Souriau, nor do they have any literature and or parts, nor do they know anybody who does.

From next week onwards, I have a small add in one of the dutch Classic Car Magazines, asking about information. I subscribe to this magazine, so I can place adds free of charge, indefinitely. Lets see.

Yesterday I had my very first sort of break through. I found an add on Ebay.com. Somebody in the USA selling a similar Souriau tester (asking $550,-- and I paid Euro 100 for mine!). More importantly, on one of the images I got my very first glance of what might well be this HT Probe. Attached a blown up part of the Ebay add.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-souriau-ht-probe.jpeg

You can cleary see the red probe handle (which is the only bit still attached to my tester). Then it has two connections, one that inserts into the distributor, one that connects to the cable leading to the Coil. And a third, with I suspect is some sort of induction pick up clamp.

Which all correspond to what I make of the electrical connection diagram:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-souriau-aansluitschema.jpeg

I have send a message to the American Ebay seller, asking if he could be so kind as to send me a more detailled image, explaining why I was interested in only this part. He responded almost immediately. Apparently, he keeps his tester somewhere remote, but he promised to get some images for me, next time he visits. Wait and see!

I have also, for the third time, put a message on Facebook on one of the classic car groups. As always lots of suggestion who to call, but nothing concrete. Most of these suggestion are parties I sort of know. Mostly companies selling modern workshop equipment. Very remote chance they would have it.

But, I have also got a few responses from members who actually seem to know this tester and this part!! One correctly identified the probe and claims he has a bunch of Souriau parts lying around.

All part of fiddling with cars!

Late last night I received a Whatsup message from Johan. Just this image of my freshly sprayed Spider rims. Looking good!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-spider-rims.jpg

To be continued!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 15:34   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like I am finally making some progress on the Souriau Diagnostic tester.

Based on the feedback/suggestions on Facebook, I called a company and asked for a particular gentleman that had been recommended. He knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently, he even has a Souriau museum.

He suggested I bring the complete tester over to him, so he can check it out and see what is missing or what else might need doing to it. Excellent.

I should be hearing from him in the next few days to make an appointment.

Very exited to finally meet with somebody who really knows this tester. And also has parts for it!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 15:34   #463
BANNED

ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR JAG.

Looks so regale and aristocratic. So reminiscent of the Bentley Arnage.

A man in a three piece suit could step off that car and say "The name's Bond, James Bond."

I think you'd have people convinced for a second.

Also what's your take on the new Jag XJ executive sedan series .
D33-PAC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 21:02   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next job on the Mercedes W123. This is something that has been annoying me for years, maybe even as long as I have this car. The door handle on the driver seat is a bit wonky.
Quote:
And here you can see what the problem is, the hole in the little handle has worn considerably, its oval instead of round
What! Not overengineered? Shame on Mercedes Benz!

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2020 at 06:51. Reason: Image removed from the quoted parts. Thank you!
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:05   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Also what's your take on the new Jag XJ executive sedan series .
My XJR is the so called X308 version. In 2010-11 the X350 was introduced. Compared to the x308 the X350 is very much a blown up whale!

We lived in Kansas City at the time. I was invited to the introduction launch of the X350 by our local JLR dealer, whom I knew quite well via our Jaguar club. A couple of pre-production X350’s toured the states. (I don’t think they even had engines). The dealer had parked one of them in front of his show room and one inside. When I arrived in my X308 I could not see any other parking place but right next to the X350. And people came pouring out of the showroom, comparing the two. The consensus was very much: The X308 is still the best, sleek, looking sport saloon in the world and the X350 is modelled after a pregnant whale. My friend the JLR dealer politely, but urgently told me to find a different parking spot, far away from the showroom!

I have actually driven a lot in the X350. Both diesel and petrol. My good spanner mater Peter has one and he drives them up to 350-400.000km before trading them in. Rarely any problems and they are a joy to drive. Inside it is still very much a Jaguar, with lots of wood and silly dashboard with switch gear randomly arranged. But it also comes with fantastic air suspension. When you drive these sort of cars, even for two minutes, you immediately understand what is meant with “wafting along”.

The latest model XJR is a massive car! It is absolutely huge. Not sure if it has been discontinued now. Jaguar is re-engineering it and it should hit the markets somewhere 2001/2 as an EV. I am not holding my breath.

As a model, visually, I am never quite sure. It certainly stands out. The interior and dashboard are unique. TopGear even introduced a unique price for it.

I have driven this model quite a bit too in the UK. Again, as superluxary sedans go, this is a very good car. I would certainly choose it over say a BMW series 5. All XKR (the supercharged versions) are very, very fast too!

Visually I absolutely love the X308. And I particularly like the color of mine. It is pretty rare, but I think it really suits the car.
I have owned so many cars that I have lost count. But to date, this is the one I like best, save for the Alfa Spider. But that is just a very different car. Every time I look at I can not help admiring its lines. It is a still a true head turner. Wherever I turn up with it, people will look, give me a thumb up, come over and talk to me. It is one of those cars that stands out in a positive way. Owning a big, powerful saloon in the Netherlands comes with some problems. The Dutch typically do not like individuals that show off. So if you drive a BMW, or a big Audi people will spit on your car, cut you of, won’t let you pull out etc. Not so with the XJR. Puts a smile on everybody’s face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What! Not overengineered? Shame on Mercedes Benz!
Yes, this time German Grundlichheit left me underwhelmed. Once I had the thing apart my first thought was to just weld the hole shut. But I could not figure out what kind of material the handle was. I checked it is not magnetic, it must be some sort of die cast, that is polished to a very high standard. I decided against welding, you never now what it will do to the colour of the handle too. The real problem is, this material is softer than the pin that holds it in place.

You would hope the pin wears down, not the handle! Actually, I have seen the very same problem with various car door hinges. The door starts to sag, can not be adjusted, so you pop the pins out, only to fine the pins are fine, but the actual hinges are wearing down. I had this happen on my Jeep Cherokee too. Additional problem was the hinges were welded to the door, respectively A-post. So getting at them to put a bushing in, was a PITA.

But even so, I will still maintain the W123 is a very well thought out and engineered car. Most of it is, anyway. As I have mentioned earlier, rust is a huge problem with these car. Partly because there are so many water traps. And now we also know the German engineers got it wrong on the hinge pin of the door handle. But admittedly, that only starts showing after 40 years or thereabouts. Still not too bad!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 22nd February 2020 at 12:12.
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks