Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 18:36   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

IT'S ALIVE!
At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536239185.977008.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to use it again and to calibrate it, see where that gets me!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th September 2018 at 18:38.
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 20:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!

A personal scope is something we amateurs lust after, but the truth of the matter is that a scope is of very little use in an older car. At most (with suitable adapters) see ignition waveforms.

Heath used to sell a scope (kit) specifically for automobiles. EBay? Craiglist?

The black multimeter: initially I thought it was a Simpson 260. Now I see it is not. Still, a Fluke of the analog world.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 22:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A personal scope is something we amateurs lust after, but the truth of the matter is that a scope is of very little use in an older car. At most (with suitable adapters) see ignition waveforms.
True to some extent, depends a bit on your definition of old I guess. My Alfa Spider is 36 years old and has a Bosch L-tronic system. Yes, you can look at the ignition waveforms and the injection system should show a few things too

It’s easy to check the speedometer convertor (mechanical to electrical signal), although a multimeter might do the trick, it’s cool to see the real signal.

But for instance my Jaguar is 2002 and it is full of electronics with some early generation busses too. I need to check my workshop manual but I seem to recall seeing various trouble shoot sections referring to a scope. Not sure if this one is up to the job.

Anyway, I just like to fiddle with it. It looks very impressive sitting on my workbench too!!

I just like these old tools. Same as slide rules. I can still use them and have bought a few over the years. Just for fun and as an ornament in my office.

Same reason I am enrolled in an Astronavigation course in December. Going to brush up on my knowledge of sextants. Even though I must have at least 6-7 GPS devices

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 23:45   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same as slide rules...
I think I must have nine or ten, and still having trouble memorising multiplication tables. No pocket calculators in those days: I saved up and bought a slide rule! And I still have it.

A decade or two later, I joined an office in a publishing company where we ordered lots and lots of colour-separation work for printing. Each order involved an original size and a reproduction size. Colleagues were using a kind of circular slide rule to do the proportional calculation. Notwithstanding being numerically dyslexic and useless at maths, I caught on to the calculation immediately and showed them how to do it on the calculator.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th September 2018 at 23:51.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 12:48   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!

Here are my "pride and joy" slide rule wise.

Until not too long ago the Flight Computer was a mandatory part of the FAA Pilot licensing regime. They did away with it several years ago and in practice nobody ever bothered with it. Everybody has a handy proper flight computer or various apps on your iPad. I still bought one, because I just like it. I did figure out how to use it, all of its functions. My flight instructor was amazed, he had not got a clue how to use it at all.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536304730.901228.jpg

Here is the electronic version of the mechanical slide rule calculator

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-img_3509.jpg

Last edited by Jeroen : 7th September 2018 at 13:00.
Old 7th September 2018, 21:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Now I just need to figure out how to use it again and to calibrate it, see where that gets me!
The lower right corner (next to the external trigger input) has an output for calibration. Though it is more often used for trimming probe compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
True to some extent, depends a bit on your definition of old I guess.
Only electronics is in the radio!

Quote:
I just like these old tools. Same as slide rules. I can still use them and have bought a few over the years. Just for fun and as an ornament in my office.
For a long time I had a working Facit mechanical calculator on my desk.

I suggest to your collection you add
Chronometric speedometer/ tachometer
A mechanical calculator (Kurta, if possible)
Halda Speedpilot (Not the twinMaster)

Regards
Sutripta

PS - If any BHpian has these to sell, I'll buy.

Last edited by Sutripta : 7th September 2018 at 21:06.
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 21:29   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I suggest to your collection you add
Chronometric speedometer/ tachometer
A mechanical calculator (Kurta, if possible)
Halda Speedpilot (Not the twinMaster)

Interesting suggestions, thanks. My mother in law has a Kurta for as long as I remember. I researched the value for her some 10-14 years ago. That particular model was going for some USD 400.

I have bought many a car for less! But they are nice little machines. Would love to own one.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 21:59   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

A few months ago it was eldest son Luc’s birthday. He turned 32. When we asked him what he wanted he couldn’t think of anything. He and his partner have recently bought and moved into a very nice home. They have been doing a lot of the work themselves. When we were discussing some of the jobs still to be done he mentioned the iron wrought gates he has. We look at them and they are not in very good shape. He asked me if I could help weld them. But in all honesty I havent welded in more than 30 years!

So as a birthday present I gave my son a welding course. Obviously dad had to come along too!

Great fun. All MAG welding, quite easy to be frank. As long as you are welding underhand. We havent bought a welder yet, but we might in the near future.

Luc:
At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-img_3725.jpg

Yours truly:

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-87e13f235dc743d898b0adc0b36b6e95.jpg

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-89e9fb7ac0c84715a34a512bb260ce02.jpg

Also, bought a few more things for my garage. A new very cool torch and a couple of these grinder bits. We used them at our welding course and they are very effective dealing with rust!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-img_3747.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st October 2018 at 22:02.
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:09   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the weekend I got the Christmas present that I am getting from my wife. This is how we do these things. We usually get something that we like and then we tell each other they are buying it for us, for Christmas, for our birthday, for no special reason. Whatever.

So I headed over to my favourite tool shop, HBM and got myself a cleaning tank.

Very handy. Car parts are often dirty and greasy. You fill this tank with a special degreaser.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc030001.jpg

Inside it has a little pump. Runs on 220VAC

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc030002.jpg

The degreaser, the tank will hold about 15 liters, this is 20 liters.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc030003.jpg

I have also got this special hose attachment. It fits onto the flexible hose attached to the pump. So the degreaser is then pumped through the brush. Pretty nifty.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc030004.jpg

Finally, I also got myself two large wrenches to complete one of my sets. I like these open ended wrenches with a closed ratchet ring on the other side. My set included all sizes up to 17. Now I also have 19 and 21mm.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc030021.jpg

Great Christmas present from my wife!

Last edited by Jeroen : 4th December 2018 at 00:11.
Old 9th December 2018, 17:36   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been adding quite a few bits and pieces on the wall of my garage. Some you will have seen before, some are new.

Originally a lot of these signs were enamel. Even if not, original ones are hugely expensive. We are talking hundreds of euro’s. i would rather spend my money on something different. But everything I have hanging on my wall, are cheap replica’s. Usually around Euro 5-10. That’s very different. Also, I find stuff on the internet as you will see.

This is my little corner, to do little fiddly jobs so I can sit properly. Usually electrical or electronic work;

The clock is made of an original Mercedes hub cap. It is identical (same colour) as my Mercedes W123. There is a car mobilia online auction I watch. There is a guy that makes these. I had been bidding for it for about half year. Every week, somebody outbid me. Next week the guy puts up a new one and I put my bid in. Took about 6 months, but I got it for the price I wanted to pay for it. A set of decent hub cabs for the W123 will easily cost you around Euro 100. I paid Euro 25 for this one and it has a clock, so not bad!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090006.jpg

Two of these posters I came across on the Internet, Facebook I believe. I just download them, sometimes edit them a bit and then with the help of my other hobby (photography) I can make up to A3 size prints of them.

Apology for the profanity. But even if you don’t say it out loud, you will think it. (At least I will)

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090007.jpg

My son came across this one on the web and send the link to me:

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090008.jpg

Some sound instructions you always need to bear in mind

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090009.jpg

I still have the posters from the Royal Photographic Society project Rockin Rotterdam on the walls too.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090010.jpg

The Jaguar flag was a farewell present from the members of the Jaguar owners club in Kansas City. We were members and participated in just about every event and helped organise most of them too, during our three years in KC

Other than Royal Enfield I have very little affinity with motor cycles. But I do like the old Indians. The altitude gauge is a canvas print. I bought it about a year ago in the UK at some antique shop. Only a few quid and I like these instruments.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090011.jpg

My wife spotted the “genius at work” at some Brocante event we went to see. Obviously, we had to have it!

The Rally shield is from one of the recent rallies we participated in. I wrote about it in a separate thread.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090012.jpg

I am a huge fan of the Blues Brothers, the movie that is. I must have seen it at least a dozen times if not more. So when I saw this on Ebay, I clicked the “BUY NOW” button immediately.

The poster with the Duetto is one of my prints. I picked up a leaflet of this even somewhere. It was A5. I scanned it and then enlarged it and printed it on A3.

The poster on the far right is one of the events I have visited in the past. There is a separate thread on this event as well.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090013.jpg

Of course, this one needs a special mentioning too. I believe it to be spot on!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090015.jpg

The poster on the top left is probably the most expensive one I have bought ever. I saw it on some car auction and bid for it. I like it a lot!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090014.jpg

Some more cool ones:

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090016.jpg

The US number plate is my original plate Missouri plate for my Jaguar

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090017.jpg

Some of these sign can be pretty raunchy. I am not very keen on those, with half naked women draped over an engine. It’s not that I am prudish, I just do not think it is appropiate. This one is border line, but look at the price!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090018.jpg

More room on some of the cupboards:

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090019.jpg

The speed sign I found on a flea market a few months ago, bought it for about one euro.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090020.jpg

Some more

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090021.jpg

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090022.jpg

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc090023.jpg

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th December 2018 at 17:41.
Jeroen is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

No place for the Pirelli calendars I see!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:13   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice, Jeroen.

When is your trip to Kansas? I want to read your report on JD Epstein tool shop!
Old 9th December 2018, 21:10   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No place for the Pirelli calendars I see!
Obviously, I would make room for the Pirelli calendar. But, this year, they forgot to add me to the distribution list, AGAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When is your trip to Kansas? I want to read your report on JD Epstein tool shop!
If we do go, it will be this summer, so my wife can attend this event:

http://www.barbieconvention.com

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:17   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If we do go
... Please visit that shop and write up a "trip report!"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 23:02   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got around to a little job that needed doing ever since we bought our house and garage. The garage door has a rubber strip, that is supposed to seal the door onto the ground. On one corner a piece was missing. Both on the inside as well as on the outside.

Not sure how that happened. My neighbour tells me it is most likely rats and or mice. We live in a very rural part of the country, right against a dike. So that is always a possibility. Anyway, I wanted it fix, if not for the rats a lot of dirt gets blown underneath into my garage all the time.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160002.jpg

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160005.jpg

The problem is that this particular brand of garage door is not made any more. Worse, the manufacturer went bust, so parts are hard to come by. I did phone around for some rubber strip, but I got ridiculous prices. More than Euro 250,-

So the other day I went to one of the largest DIY centres nearby and walked around looking for some rubber bit. I found this piece, it is used on stairs. But it is perfect for my purpose and it only cost Euro 2.50. So I can easily cut it up!

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160004.jpg

So I cut two strips and used Bison Gel to glue them on:

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160009.jpg

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160010.jpg

This is the same glue, I used on some of the rubber strips I have fitted/restored on my mercedes W123. The only thing is you are supposed to use this glue at room temperatures. As you can see there is actual snow in front of the garage.

Still worked o.k.

At long last: My own man cave...My Garage!-pc160024.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 16th December 2018 at 23:03.
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks