Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 08:30   #1

DIY: Biometric Entry in my car - truly keyless!

Hi BHPians,

Not sure why the modern day cars are not coming with biometric entry systems. Here is an attempt I made on my Toyota C-HR.

I moved to Singapore and now own a C-HR which is not a model available in India, but thought of sharing, as I believe that there are many techies in this group, who might be interested in doing this. Here is the link to the YouYube video on the same.

Kind Regards,

Rajeev Velikkal

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2018 at 09:28. Reason: typos
alwaysanewbie is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 09:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Biometric Entry in my car - truly keyless!

Thanks for sharing! Most definitely an idea whose time has come, considering the convenience & how cheap biometric sensors have become (thanks to mass adoption in cellphones). The technology has matured too and works flawlessly.

OEM suppliers are already working in this direction - link. With the advent of biometric entry & go, we can say that passive keyless entry & go would have a very short life as a technology.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajeev, I appreciate you sharing this with us, and all that you've done on your DIY.

However, I can't bring myself to up-voting your post, simply because the meat of it is in a video, with no accompanying text or images.

Call us old-fashioned, but some of us prefer text and images that we can enjoy at our own pace (we're not all clever and need to reread stuff for it to sink in) rather than view a video whose pacing is dictated by its creator.

It works be great if you could offer a small write up as well. Do take a look at some of the other DIYs on the site to see how those authors have documented their work.

Last edited by arunphilip : 21st November 2018 at 10:10.
arunphilip is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Interesting DIY, thanks for sharing.

Have you vetted this fingerprint scanner's performance over time (wear and tear) and through dust and water. Especially since it is exposed to the elements. Hope you have alternate means of unlocking the car, if this decides to get moody.

PS: Concur with Arun's feedback, also commentary on the steps rather than music would be more helpful.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 15:45   #5

Thanks for viewing the post and your valuable comment.

The module is there on my car since last couple of months, and so far no issues.

Yes, either key fob or physical key still works, but I don't carry the key fob, and had kept it hidden inside the car, so that keyless start can detect the key. But always carries the physical key (which can actually be removed from key fob for Toyota C-HRs) with me, to override the door opening in the unfortunate situation of module malfunctioning.

And to your comment on having a commentary instead of music, I did it purposefully to avoid any regional accent complications. This is a video I created and had shared with many C-HR owners group worldwide.
alwaysanewbie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysanewbie View Post
But always carries the physical key (which can actually be removed from key fob for Toyota C-HRs) with me, to override the door opening in the unfortunate situation of module malfunctioning.
Thank you, that addresses one question I had - how do you manage this when using valet parking, or lending the car to a family member who's biometrics are not registered.
Old 21st November 2018, 18:48   #7

Thanks to all those who viewed the post and all comments dear BHPians,

My apologies for not providing a lengthy post with images and texts, the reason being that my personal preference had always been to watch a video with the details and description scrolling in the video. I personally feel that videos, can show in more detail, how actually things are done. I am also not in favor of providing commentary in videos for the reason that voice commentary can always have regional accent overlay, and requires headphone/speakers.

My request to all viewers to this post would be to please consider this as a reference design, and a way to follow, as I feel that whatever I have in the video or personal web site is all for Toyota C-HR, a model not available in India, right now. This video is shared in many C-HR owners group worldwide, and the intention of publishing this in TeamBHP is to showcase a proof of concept(I guess we don't have a section for this as of now).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2018 at 07:53. Reason: PM coming up
alwaysanewbie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Hyundai is going to be the first mass market manufacturer to adopt this tech in their upcoming cars:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbap.../#5ea10ba30507

Quote:
Earlier this week, South Korea's biggest automaker by sales announced the world’s first smart fingerprint technology that lets drivers to not only unlock the doors of their vehicle but also start the car.

Hyundai plans to first implement its fingerprint sensor technologies in the 2019 Santa Fe that is scheduled to go on sale in select markets—starting with China—in the first quarter of next year.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 05:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Looks like Hyundai is going to be the first mass market manufacturer to adopt this tech in their upcoming cars:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbap.../#5ea10ba30507
Cool. This is good news indeed.

Proves that the car manufactures are bit late in implementing this.

Kind Regards,

Rajeev Velikkal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks