Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 13:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Paddle Shifts and Cruise Control installation in the Toyota Innova Crysta

Paddle Shifters

Basic tutorial with self explanatory pictures and captions. This should be enough to get you going!

Parts required:
1) New Fortuner AT Backcover with paddles. In some regions cover and paddles are sold separately. A451840K140C0

2) Two self tapping screws A9016840113

3) Three terminal repair pigtails to insert into clockspring below.

4) Around 1.5 metres (of three runs) of automotive grade 18/16awg wire and wire sleeve. Two runs will be enough if one wished to ground the ground wire near the column or use an existing ground.

5) Soldering iron, heat shrink tubes, solder, flux.

Notes:
1) You need to unbolt the steering wheel, the gear shift knob, steering column cover bottom, and the center console.

2) The paddleshifter wires (three of them +shift, -shift and ground) end in a white connector. Intended to connect to another connector (extender) of Fortuner's steering control switch pads. Crysta and other vehicles without paddles do not have this free connector. You can either buy that or do the following.

2.1) You need to remove the pins from white coupler and put it directly into the black 12 pin connector inside the steering wheel which plugs into top part of clockspring. You may have to extend the three wires by 1 to 2 inches for it to comfortably reach the 12 pin connector.

3) Three clock spring aka spiral cable assy is used to pass the wires out of the steering. If the blank slots noted below does not match yours then use a multimeter or a continuity tester to map blank pins on both sides of clock spring. The connector leading out of the clockspring is a 14 pin connector.

Upshift
12 pin connector: Inside pin 6 LHS of red wire
14 pin connector: Below pin 14 LHS of blue wire

Downshift
12 pin connector: Inside pin 4 RHS of red wire
14 pin connector: Below pin 12 RHS of blue wire

Ground
12 pin connector: Inside pin 12 LHS of brown wire
14 pin connector: Below pin 7 LHS of green wire

4) The pins and pigtails that goes into the black connector of the clockspring at the bottom of the steering wheel can be difficult to source locally. So scavenge same type pins and a length of wire from scrapped vehicle. Else ebay dot com would be your best bet.

5) Connect the wires to the shifter's 5 pin white connector as shown in the photo.

Tutorial: View in FHD full screen

Demo

Last edited by aah78 : 21st December 2018 at 21:25. Reason: Post fixed on request.
Sankar is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cruise Control Installation in Crysta GX and VX

This was done in July 2018, and a friend have done it in his Crysta VX soon after following my guide.

Some toyotas come prewired for cruise control, withh only stalk missing. If its pre-wired, the Pin 26 on ECU's top block connector will be populated. If not then follow this.

Parts required:
1) Cruise control Stalk - 8463234011
2) Cover for Cruise control stalk - 451860K100C0
3) Screws (not self tapping) for cruise control stalk - 9015950199
4) Cruise control switch connecting wire - 8463348020
5) Two nos terminal repair wires to lead down from the clockspring. Do what i suggested in paddle shift install above. I have a container of such wires so only had to forage inside it to find them.
5.1) Aliexpress also have such wires for cruise control, but i noticed that pins won't be a correct match to lock down positively sometimes.
5.2) Correct toyota terminal repair wires can be found on ebay dot com.

Demo 1:

Installation & Demo 2:

Last edited by Sankar : 19th December 2018 at 14:00.
Sankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 11:10   #3

Re: DIY: Paddle Shifts and Cruise Control installation in the Toyota Innova Crysta

Dear Sankar Sir,

I have 2018 Model Innova Crysta 8 Seater automatic and i want to do this cruise control installation. I have procured all the items you mentioned in your detailed instructions for doing this job. But i'am not an expert like you to do this personally. can you provide me your contact details or recommend any place where i can do this ECU connections and installation? I'm also from Kerala (Thrissur- Kochi).
majopjose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Paddle Shifts and Cruise Control installation in the Toyota Innova Crysta

Any idea if this could be installed on the previous gen Fortuner manual transmission?
Old 4th June 2019, 00:53   #5
BHPian

Sir,

I have a Innova GX 2014 and I am planning to install steering mounted controls. My query is that does the earlier Innova comes with a plug and play connector like the Innova Crysta GX.
Old 16th June 2020, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Paddle Shifters

Tutorial: View in FHD full screen
Excellent thread! Can you please reupload the paddle shifter installation video? It seems to have broken.

I own a Yaris V CVT which comes with cruise control but no paddle shifters whereas the VX version has both. I am tempted to install paddles in my car after seeing this thread. Can someone share part numbers and instructions on how to install paddle shifters for Yaris if you have already installed? Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Paddle Shifters

Basic tutorial with self explanatory pictures and captions. This should be enough to get you going!
Fantastic! Great project & really useful in the real world drives. Another thread on TBHP that makes car makers look like jokers for holding back on features just to call them "premium". Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Any idea if this could be installed on the previous gen Fortuner manual transmission?
Paddle shifters enable user controlled gear shifts in an automatic transmission. It works identical to the manual mode on the floor stick. It doesn't enable converting a manual transmission car into an AT. So no - paddle shifters can't be installed in a manual transmission car.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:08   #8

I have a 2017 Crysta G (base model). Have been looking at some highway driving focused upgrades and cruise control is something I miss terribly in this car. I came across the steering mounted audio and cruise control. Instead of a stalk, would this be enough to have cruise control on the car? Would it still be plug and play?
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by majopjose View Post
Dear Sankar Sir,

I have 2018 Model Innova Crysta 8 Seater automatic and i want to do this cruise control installation. I have procured all the items you mentioned in your detailed instructions for doing this job. But i'am not an expert like you to do this personally. can you provide me your contact details or recommend any place where i can do this ECU connections and installation? I'm also from Kerala (Thrissur- Kochi).
Hi majopjose,

I too want to install the cruise control in my VX model so, can you let me know from where did you buy all the parts and the total cost? Did you install it on your own?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks