Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel

After nearly 10 years of ownership, and inspiration from a related thread,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...e-centers.html (DIY: City cowl panel cleaning & the subterfuge of Honda service centers)

I was tempted to perform this DIY on my car. There had been a recent increase in stale but not foul odours from the HVAC. There had been multiple incidences of rain and wash water entering the front passenger footwell and through the boot into the stepney well. The windscreen needed a re-fit due to rubber moulding disintegration. As for the boot area water seepage, it is an apparently common issue on the Jazz, worldwide! There are countless YouTube videos on this issue but Honda has not improved the welding pattern or taken accountability for this either. Some RTV was used to seal up the seams.

A stale odour due to footwell waterlogging was managed with a thorough soaking of the area with surgical grade disinfectant (Sterilium) and it worked perfectly. However, I believed that the odd odours from the HVAC could be managed with the removal of the cowl cover as the atmospheric air into the cabin would be passing over the gunk build-up of a decade, in a prominently dusty city- Agra. So one Sunday morning after a lazy lie-in, I gather my tools and get on the job; with the hope that I would be able to finally post my first thread on TBHP after all these years of being a member on the forum!

How to begin:

Firstly, park the car and remove the rubber caps covering the wiper bolts. A 13mm Hex-nut is needed to unscrew both wiper arms which need to be removed and kept aside for the DIY. This also gives the ability to use some WD-40 in the wiper mechanism to keep it hunky-dory

After dismantling the wiper arms, two plastic tab clips on each far side of the cowl are to be removed gently with a flat-head screwdriver. Apply too much force and they break. Thankfully mine were intact and good for re-fitting at the end of the DIY

There are 5 simple clips which easily snap off with hand to allow complete release of the cowl panel from the fitting. Do take note that the wiper washer fluid lines do keep it connected to the body but the cowl can be shifted to over the engine block for the cleaning.

I was glad to see there was zero rust under the cowl. However, the intuition that there would be kilos of gunk was totally correct! Surprisingly, the wiper mechanism was also in top condition. This goes to show the older Honda cars do live up to the old adage that old is gold and it certainly fits the bill compared to today’s productions with their quick and endless niggles (+faults).

There was a massive build-up of gunk over the windscreen where to cowl rests at its lower edge. 10 years of wash water depositing the soil in that small gap was now evident. Gentle agitation with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water and then a light rinsing of the area resulted in a completely clean under-cowl.

WD-40 was sprayed over the wiper mechanism. A thorough wipe down of water residue was done before the cowl was re-fitted. The wiper arms were refitted and checked for spray and wipe with the ignition turned on. All was good and the bonnet was closed.

I also took the DIY morning to clean my seatbelt which was retracting slowly and not completely. 30 mins in warm soapy water and then scrub down did the job. Also removed the plastic moulding housing the belt retractor mechanism. Wiped it clean and sprayed some WD-40 in the moving bits. Noted a label which said 'contains explosives, do not open.' I wonder why is there explosive in this? On a side note, It has been made by the infamous TAKATA group, known for the faulty airbags.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_105207.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100803.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_105147.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_105156.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100819.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100825.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100830.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100835.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_101933.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_101926.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_104422.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_104429.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_104829.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100812.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 15:41   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel

seatbelt cleaning photos. Note the belt twists and coils without complete retraction. The possible heavy build-up of grime from years of usage.

Used a simple paper clipper to hold the completely exposed belt. Soaked it in a bucket of warm water +genteel liquid detergent. Then scrubbed it with a soft brush and let it dry out under newspapers in a closed cabin for a few hours. The result was a 95% self-retractile belt
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_100903.jpg  

Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel-img_20190213_101408.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz DIY: Removing & cleaning the cowl panel

Thanks for the photos and the writeup - the cowl panel cleaning seems to be a must for honda cars. Shall attempt to clean the one on my Jazz soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Noted a label which said 'contains explosives, do not open.' I wonder why is there explosive in this?
The explosives are for the seatbelt pre tensioners.

Quote:
The pretensioner mechanism uses an explosive charge to drive a concealed piston when sensors detect the signature abrupt deceleration of an accident. The piston, in turn, rapidly drives the spool around which the fabric strap of a seatbelt is wrapped. That incredibly fast retraction of the belt fabric removes the slack from the belt instantly. This extra seatbelt "pre-" tension, moments prior to the full force of impact, pulls the bodies of the driver and front-seat passenger firmly into their seats. This positions them so as to receive the maximum protection benefit of the front airbags. It also helps prevent the unfortunate phenomenon car crash-ologists call "submarining." That's when the momentum caused by the crash jerks a victim's body under his or her lap belt and sends it careening forward below the dash.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d...etensioner.htm

blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Thanks for the photos and the writeup - the cowl panel cleaning seems to be a must for honda cars. Shall attempt to clean the one on my Jazz soon.

The explosives are for the seatbelt pre tensioners.

you're welcome! I hope it proves to be a fruitful DIY. For the pre-tensioner video, I literally jumped as I saw that explode and retract! I haven't seen that before and was absolutely clueless about it's functioning. Eye opener
Old 15th January 2021, 15:46   #5
BHPian

Very useful. Have put this on my To Do list and saved this thread. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

In my last service, the SA at the HASS had mentioned to me that this area has a tendency to get rusted. Suggested it was most likely when the car was parked under trees. The leaves etc get stuck in the corners and contribute to rusting.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks