Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2019, 08:38   #1
BHPian

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)

This DIY is for those who want to change their ORVM LED indicators or for those who want to change from standard flashing LEDs to sweep/flow LEDs for Honda City VX / Jazz VX variant. I am not sure if it fits other Honda models as well.

Background:

As I was casually browsing the internet for aftermarket parts which can be added to my Honda City, I stumbled upon these sweeping type LED mirror indicators on Aliexpress. Since my tail light had the sweeping type, I thought of changing the mirror ones as well.

The Kit.

Name:  20190608_07h36_35.png
Views: 9716
Size:  209.4 KB

Installation Steps

1. Tools required
a. Flat and Star screwdriver.
b. The prying tool which comes with the kit.
c. Patience.
d. A set of pliers (just in case)

2. Install
To begin with, we need to pry open the mirror (glass only) from the housing without which you cannot access the tabs that allow the rear skull cap to be removed.
Insert the prying tool from below and use it as a lever to pull the mirror out. You will hear a sort of gear grinding noise. This is the plastic screws coming out which move the mirror front, back, left and right. Be careful as applying too much pressure can crack the mirror. Patience is essential in this process.

Here, I have unscrewed the motor, but it is not necessary.

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_07h46_00.png

After the mirror is out, check that the metal rings which hold the 4 white tabs for the screws (seen in the above 1st image) are in place. These rings hold the mirror screws firmly and cannot be bought separately if lost.

Mirror clips

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_07h47_38.png

Once the mirror is removed, there will be 3 tabs which will be visible. These 3 tabs need to be pushed out using a star/flat screw driver. This releases the back skull cap of the mirror. Releasing them in an order (1,2 then 3) along with pulling the skull cap from the other side helped ease the process.

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_07h58_03.png

Removed Skull cap

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_065427_01.jpg

Once the cap is removed, you can access the original LED indicator. Loosen the 2 screws with a star screw driver and unplug the existing connector. Be careful not to snap of any plastic tabs.

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_064929.jpg

Replace the old indicator with the new one.

DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)-20190608_08h06_52.png

When installing the new one, care is to be taken to ensure that the tab near the right side screw is aligned properly before screwing it in place. I would suggest to install the indicator then plug the connector back in since the connector is having less wiring and can be tight to pull around.

Finally, test the indicator once before snapping back the skull cap in place. Again, when installing the mirror back onto the housing, ensure that the plastic screws are aligned with the holes and that the metal rings are in place before pushing it fully in. Once that is done, test the mirror for functionality.

Before:

After:

Thank you. Hope it was a detailed explanation. If not, please ask me any question related to the same. Looking forward to feedback or comments.
nikhn is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: LED Flow Indicators for the ORVMs (Honda City)

Great DIY there. Not only does it look cool, I'm sure the cost was also a fraction of what Honda would charge for the OEM part!

Here's my favourite indicator action of any car I have seen (it was probably Audi that started this trend):
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:56   #3
BHPian

I remember Audi saying that apart from the aesthetic appeal it also serves another important use. In the normal indicators when half the car's view is blocked you can't really tell if the car has its indicators or hazards on. The flow type indicators only flow when the indicators are on and flash when the hazards are on.
Whiplash7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 20:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DIY !
Only thing stopping me from trying this out on my Jazz is the fear that I may crack the mirror glass while taking it out. I even got the parts added to my wishlist on Aliexpress !
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 20:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
I remember Audi saying that apart from the aesthetic appeal it also serves another important use. In the normal indicators when half the car's view is blocked you can't really tell if the car has its indicators or hazards on. The flow type indicators only flow when the indicators are on and flash when the hazards are on.
Not really, you can see that in the video posted above by blackwasp - the hazards are on, and the sequential action is on.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 15:47   #6
BHPian

Update: The mirror LEDs are perfect and have no issues. No moisture entering the indicators and no LED failure. So far so good. Maybe it could have been a tad brighter during sunny times.

Also, If anyone is still planning on installing these, there is a newer model with DRL and reverse sweep of the indicator as well. I am assuming it is the same fit as the one have. Link here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks