Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 06:25   #1
BHPian

DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake

With my last wagon R, I had the misfortune of a rat entering into my AC system and making a nest on my. Blower unit after chewing through my Recirculate-Fresh air gate. Needless to say that it was a hot mess when I started my AC and my car stank for months. Finally a steel net solution was made but it was a day late and a dollar short.

This time, I decided to do it as the very first DIY. and here is a short video.

I welcome constructive criticism

rrnsss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 06:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Rats are a menace, no second thoughts about it. I would like to point just 2 things-
  • The coverage could have been better done with wire mesh rather than cleaning ball and scotch brite. Rats can bite into the scotch brite.
  • The Carbofuran/ Carbofuridon you've used is a highly toxic pesticide. It's highly toxic to humans also. I request you to kindly remove it and instead use tobacco in the engine bay. Tobacco smell doesn't let the rat enter. Due to heat, the Carbofuran may evaporate and seep inside the cabin and it can be life threatening. Carbofuran

There is a detailed thread on rat menace - Rats

Last edited by BoneCollector : 8th November 2019 at 06:42.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 07:58   #3
BHPian

Just one point on the tobacco pouches - I tried this on my car sometime back and the rats were not deterred from entering the engine bay - noticed this from some droppings. However no damage was done so perhaps the tobacco deterred them?
Old 8th November 2019, 08:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good job, rats are nightmare.I would have made a rectangular cap out of Patti Blade with small holes and closed the duct.

Simple solution is - Get raw tobacco sticks from the market and tie it with a thread around wiper fluid tank, wiper pipe, ECU, headlamp assembly and close to AC air intake duct. Keep it in semi-dry state always, the odour will be strong enough to keep away the rats. This has worked me from 4 years. The sticks can be replaced once in a month.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th November 2019 at 08:12.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 08:32   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Good job, rats are nightmare.I would have made a rectangular cap out of Patti Blade with small holes and closed the duct.

Simple solution is - Get raw tobacco sticks from the market and tie it with a thread around wiper fluid tank, wiper pipe, ECU, headlamp assembly and close to AC air intake duct. Keep it in semi-dry state always, the odour will be strong enough to keep away the rats. This has worked me from 4 years. The sticks can be replaced once in a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Just one point on the tobacco pouches - I tried this on my car sometime back and the rats were not deterred from entering the engine bay - noticed this from some droppings. However no damage was done so perhaps the tobacco deterred them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Rats are a menace, no second thoughts about it. I would like to point just 2 things-
  • The coverage could have been better done with wire mesh rather than cleaning ball and scotch brite. Rats can bite into the scotch brite.
  • The Carbofuran/ Carbofuridon you've used is a highly toxic pesticide. It's highly toxic to humans also. I request you to kindly remove it and instead use tobacco in the engine bay. Tobacco smell doesn't let the rat enter. Due to heat, the Carbofuran may evaporate and seep inside the cabin and it can be life threatening. Carbofuran

There is a detailed thread on rat menace - Rats

@Bonecollector >> I use the carbofuridon baggy ONLY when my car is standing for a few day or weeks. I remove it when driving and place it only a day after the engine cools. Yes, Rats can bite through the Scrubber but cannot bite through the Stainless steel wool. Atleast I hope not.

@Motorguy>> Same experience. I tired many tobacco types and even snuff. It did not work. I tried even "Kakinada Kara pogaiilai" which is supposed to be the strongest. It was not very effective for me.

@Deehunk>> This solution is to secure my car till I make a custom solution. I plan to buy a big stainless steel carrot scraper and cut it and screw it on top of the bowl. I did this solution to act as a stop gap measure.

Last edited by rrnsss : 8th November 2019 at 08:34.
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:15   #6
BHPian

The topic has been discussed in depth here.

Tobacco has never worked for me.

Have found the best solution to use a heavy wire mesh on AC duct entrance and tie hard metal bristle brushes on flat surfaces inside the engine (wherever the rat can sit).
Old 10th November 2019, 22:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
[*]The coverage could have been better done with wire mesh rather than cleaning ball and scotch brite. Rats can bite into the scotch brite.
+1 to that.

A strong stainless steel mesh, cut to dimensions and cleanly installed using body sealant is a much better option IMO. This is how they do it here:

DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake-20190529_021635.jpg

Also one of my friends had shared this pic, not sure if this is a Maruti approved accessory, but the idea remains the same.

DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake-70415260_2636095833087662_3066486347310039040_n.jpg

Another place which I'd recommend to similarly block is the ventilation hole around the rear bumper, that's another point from where rats can get inside.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 08:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
+1 to that.

A strong stainless steel mesh, cut to dimensions and cleanly installed using body sealant is a much better option IMO. This is how they do it here:

Attachment 1933405

Also one of my friends had shared this pic, not sure if this is a Maruti approved accessory, but the idea remains the same.

Attachment 1933406

Another place which I'd recommend to similarly block is the ventilation hole around the rear bumper, that's another point from where rats can get inside.

Regards,
Shashi

1. I would love to do it the proper way.
2. Where is the ventilation hole in the rear bumper?
3. Is the steel mesh available as an accessory? I mean can I buy it?
4. Where can I get body sealant ?
Old 11th November 2019, 10:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I would love to do it the proper way.
2. Where is the ventilation hole in the rear bumper?
3. Is the steel mesh available as an accessory? I mean can I buy it?
4. Where can I get body sealant ?
Answers to your queries in no particular order:

1. The steel mesh might not be available as an accessory from Maruti. What you can do is approach any hardware store and get some good quality stainless steel mesh. A 4 sq.ft mesh should suffice for all your needs.

2. I'd also advise getting a rattle can paint spray and painting the mesh before installation.

3. Cut the mesh as per your needs and stick using body sealant.

4. Remove all your existing stuffed items like steel wool and scotch brite. They can go inside and clog the cooling coil badly. Also check if your waggy has a pre-installed air filter. If not, get it installed immediately.

5. I wouldn't recommend purchasing the body sealant since you'll barely use 10% and rest of the cartridge contents would dry. Also you'll need a caulk gun to use the sealant. Instead, just purchase the steel mesh, paint it, and approach your workshop's bodyshop. Let them cut the mesh as per needed dimensions and they also have the body sealant.

DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake-37952c7ec92b6de56e985e24ce551dc1_m.jpg

6. This is how the rear ventilation behind the bumper looks:

DIY: Rat-proofing the A/C intake-20191111_095056.jpg

In your WagonR, part number 9 is what you need to cover with a mesh. Take care that part 9 is a plastic part, so cut a larger mesh size so that it sticks only to the metal. I'd recommend pasting it from inside the car body so that the plastic ventilator cover(part 9) can be removed/installed easily(if need arises in future) without disturbing the steel mesh.

Name:  34.png
Views: 3055
Size:  31.3 KB

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Answers to your queries in no particular order:

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed answers. I will get to work on the front and rear vents. I am sure the SS mesh is available in local Hardware shop. I will ask the bodyshop to install them. Thank you again.

The stuffing of steel wool was a stop gap measure. I did not even know about the rear vent.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 10:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure the SS mesh is available in local Hardware shop.
Make sure you pick the best grade available so that it doesn't rust in the long run. My advice of painting it was also to prevent the same.

Do post pics of the installation once you are done.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you pick the best grade available so that it doesn't rust in the long run. My advice of painting it was also to prevent the same.

Do post pics of the installation once you are done.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks to your input and ideas I got a decent job done at ABT during my first 1000km service.

I think this will work.

rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks