Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 08:37   #1
BANNED

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!

Hey guys,

I really didn't think this fairly simple mod should need a thread of its own but having experienced how irritating and common this issue is I thought why not, plus this is something I figured out and I'd not see any other source for this mod. So here goes;

As many would know the MicroHybrid feature what Mahindra advertises is basically a start/stop feature that the masses have become familiarised with the iSmart motorcycles from Hero.

In the older models Mahindra did provide a switch that could be set to "Off" for good but in the newer models the system re-arms itself on every power cycle.

Sharing an image below of the difference in switches for better clarity;

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-picsart_070408.01.17.jpg

Now this might be a really good initiative when used up north but here in KL we have crappy roads that warrants shifting into neutral every now and then when the need to idle for a bit longer arises which basically is always.

And in the newer models after they've combined the Brake and Clutch reservoirs there's an observed delay for the hydraulic clutch to work during starting up, which doesn't help my case one bit, especially when on an incline.

But the last straw was when the system interfered when I'd taken her for a spin after having her jump started.

So here's how you perform the mod.

1. Buy a Jumper wire from Amazon;

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-images-1-26.jpeg

2. Pull the switch out, this can be done by removing the fuse cover on the side and popping the dummy cover after which simply insert a finger inside the dummy port and push the Start/Stop switch out from the inside.

3. Short wires 1 and 4, sharing pictures of the switch for better clarity;

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-img_20210704_082502.jpg

This is what it would look like after you've shorted the wires with a jumper wire.

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-img20210703140015.jpg

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-img20210703140017.jpg

Once done simply tape it up and you're good to go.

If you have a spare dummy cover then good enough or if you don't then use the switch itself, I fixed it back upside down just for a gag.

DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!-img20210704083137.jpg

Either way don't loose the switch, the thing costs a whopping 750/- if in case you'd ever want to re-enable it.

So that's about it.

Cheers!
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 4th July 2021 at 08:39.
ashwinprakas is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 12:29   #2
BHPian

re: DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!

As a fellow Bolero owner this information is really god sent. Not to mention how annoying this start stop can be during those highway runs. Thanks a ton! Hope it does not void warranty and things like that.

Btw, is that a Bolero? Looks like it.
Edit: Never mind, just saw your thread and I see you went with Bolero.

Last edited by vj_torqueaddict : 4th July 2021 at 12:34.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 13:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Disabling Mahindra's Micro-Hybrid (idling start/stop system) for good!

Great thread! Thanks for sharing - am sure it will help Mahindra owners. I disabled the stupid start-stop system in my German sedan via coding. Was a 1 minute job at a tuner. What I did though was twist it around; the idling start-stop system got enabled whenever you started the engine. If you didn't want it, you had to manually disable it. I made it the opposite = system is off by default and I have to press the button to enable it (which I obviously never do).
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this simple yet very useful mod. Rated this thread 5 stars.

Auto start stop system is an irritant no doubt. But it is a much smaller issue in small, 4 cylinder petrol cars that shake up very less during start stop.

It is a much bigger irritant in Diesel cars (they have higher vibrations) and larger SUVs that shake up quite a bit (speaking from my XUV500 test drive experience).

Would love to see the speed beep mod as well someday on the forum.
PaddleShifter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Any leads on how to achieve the same in Maruti SHVS with minimal effort? In S-cross user needs to switch off auto start/stop every time engine is started. Last time I checked, the suggestions included removing the SHVS battery connection.
Link (Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review)
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:38   #6
BHPian

I had this same dislike on my X1. I could switch off the Auto Start-Stop system whenever I wanted, but it would re-enable itself the next time I switched off the ignition. I am sure it will wear out the starting system prematurely; maybe also the mounts; and possibly consuming more fuel at each restart.

In the end I decided to buy myself the Bimmercode app and it's supported OBD interface. Was a quick coding upload and was able to switch the thing off by default.

Last edited by alphahere : 5th July 2021 at 20:40.
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great thread! Thanks for sharing - am sure it will help Mahindra owners. I disabled the stupid start-stop system in my German sedan via coding. Was a 1 minute job at a tuner. What I did though was twist it around; the idling start-stop system got enabled whenever you started the engine. If you didn't want it, you had to manually disable it. I made it the opposite = system is off by default and I have to press the button to enable it (which I obviously never do).
Don't you have a physical button to disable the auto start/stop? I luckily have it my car and it's a simple matter of pressing it (disable) after I have pressed the engine start button.
The issue I need to find a solution for is that the car keeps going into fresh air mode after a while (depending on its internal algorithm). Its frankly irritating, I'm sure UK has fresh outside air, but in India we get the waft of garbage the moment fresh air mode is on.
Old 29th August 2023, 01:12   #8

Hi All

I have an XUV700 AX7 D. I am in sheer love with this beast.

We stay in the NCR region which is a relatively hot place with a lot of traffic Needless to say that the Auto start/stop mechanism has become a sort of irritant. I have not got into the practice if disabling the mechanism everytime I get into the car however I do forget at times and it gets irritating after sometime. Also the placement of the button makes it really difficult to locate the button and the status light of the switch without extra effort.

Is there a way to permanently "Disable" this feature via any setting or other mechanism (short of losing warranty of the vehicle)?

Cheers!
DG
Old 29th August 2023, 07:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepagup View Post
Hi All

I have an XUV700 AX7 D. <snip> Is there a way to permanently "Disable" this feature via any setting or other mechanism <snip>?
DG
Is that how it works in 700? There is a dedicated button in my 500 from 2018, to enable/disable this micro-hybrid auto-start-stop function.

It "remembers" - i.e, if you set it to "DON'T auto-start/stop" it will obey that even in the next ignition cycle(after switch off the engine fully & restart).

As others pointed out, since the unsolicited auto-start-stop is an irritant, I set it to OFF most times, and I am not bothered by it anymore.

Hard to believe they changed that from 500 to 700

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 29th August 2023 at 07:29.
Old 29th August 2023, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Is that how it works in 700? There is a dedicated button in my 500 from 2018, to enable/disable this micro-hybrid auto-start-stop function.

It "remembers" - i.e, if you set it to "DON'T auto-start/stop" it will obey that even in the next ignition cycle(after switch off the engine fully & restart).

As others pointed out, since the unsolicited auto-start-stop is an irritant, I set it to OFF most times, and I am not bothered by it anymore.

Hard to believe they changed that from 500 to 700
Yes it resets to "On" everytime the vehicle is started. I would love to know if anyone found a way to disable it completely in the 700

Most Viewed