Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 08:17   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz

Wow!
What a detailed post. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question about wire management
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Now run it under the rubber beading
How safe is this? Will it result in some gap in the door, leading to leakages?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-BHP View Post
With hardwire kit, I guess you can connect the camera from the fuse box (hence will not require a USB port/car charger).
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
To have a cleaner install, I am planning to get it hooked up to a fuse which only powers on when the car is on, instead of the 12V socket.
Please do share pics of the hardwire connection.
I too plan to hardwire it with parking mode. Reason being the service centre guys/ drivers may unplug the USB power, accidental or deliberate. Though I am a little skeptical about battery drainage by these so called branded dash cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I have been used the same dashcam in my Nano for about a year now. The quality is acceptable. Just one word of caution! I have noticed that my ddpai does not fire up own its own if I stop tbe car and without removing the key start the car again. Though there is a sound notification "ding ding pai" it actually does not record anything. I have to unplug it and put the plug back in, make sure the orange light is up.
Additionally, on my drive to Goa and back, I noticed that once the unit heats up, the recording is a bit patchy. As in, it easily skips a few minutes of recording.
Same thing was noted on several pune-silvassa-pune non-stop drives.
One thing which I would have loved is, possibility to increase the recording time to around 5 mins, instead of 1 min for each video.
I never faced such issue with two DDPAI cams I am using. Try hard resetting the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meto View Post
Great job. However, I am not a fan of passing the wire through driver side unless it's hardwired to the fuse. By any remotest chance or an event, the wire might dangle near the driver's feet, and might cause hindrance to one’s driving ability. It’s better to route the wire through the passenger side even though the additional wire near the charging port might be an eye sore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
. The installation was easy but pulling the wire from the driver's side is not recommended. In case the wire slips between those fuses, it will come in contact with our legs or the A, B, C pedals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The only thing I will say is, as others said, please route the wire from the passenger side. I use zip-ties and tie it with other wires or any object just below the dashboard, so it do not hang or fiddle with the co-passengers leg.
Thanks for the concerns. It's certainly safer from the passenger side. However driver side wiring isn't exactly unsafe if properly secured with zip ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How safe is this? Will it result in some gap in the door, leading to leakages?
The wire is on the inner side of the beading hence does not interfere with water tight shutting of door.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Please do share pics of the hardwire connection.
I too plan to hardwire it with parking mode. Reason being the service centre guys/ drivers may unplug the USB power, accidental or deliberate. Though I am a little skeptical about battery drainage by these so called branded dash cams.
I am actually more concerned about them removing the SD Card in case we leave the dash cam in the car once it's hardwired.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 07:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am actually more concerned about them removing the SD Card in case we leave the dash cam in the car once it's hardwired.
That will defeat the very purpose of having a Dash cam. In case of DDPAI mini it cannot be detached from the mount as well. I guess there is no fix to someone removing the SD card, except using glue to paste the sd card cover for ever.
Old 30th July 2021, 13:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-BHP View Post
Great job! Thanks for the detailed information.

I am also looking at installing DDPAI mini (based on the same reason as you that it is the cheapest respectable brand's dashcam).

DDPAI sell hardwire kit also for 24hrs monitoring/power. With hardwire kit, I guess you can connect the camera from the fuse box (hence will not require a USB port/car charger). Not sure if the hardwire kits are brand-specific or are generic.
One question on hardwiring, may be a pretty naive one.

Will connecting the hardwiring kit from the dashcam to the fuse box cause any issue with the warranty? Or will Insurance consider this as an unauthorized electrical item in case of any electrical accident?
Old 28th October 2021, 12:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I have noticed that my ddpai does not fire up own its own if I stop tbe car and without removing the key start the car again.
This is rather odd.
The car only supplies power to the cam and no other signaling. The power at the 12V port can be ON or OFF.
Perhaps some issue with your specific cam?
Maybe the battery is old and is not able to provide a high enough voltage the second time?

Quote:
Dear Folks,
I recently installed a dash cam
Can you pls confirm if you see the same issue?
I plan to buy this and your input will be most helpful.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 28th October 2021 at 12:09.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Can you pls confirm if you see the same issue?
I plan to buy this and your input will be most helpful.
I have mini in two of my cars, never faced this issue. Only issue I face with both the cameras is connecting to the app. It takes 45-60 secs for the app to connect to the camera and show live feed. Once connected, the app works flawlessly. How ever camera gets disconnected once the screen is turned off and the app goes to background. This is with iOS. Never checked with Android. Also the duration of videos is 60 secs and cannot be changed. One needs a CPL to cut glare else video quality gets compromised when driving sun facing or glare from headlight of incoming traffic at night. You any also consider 70Mai, which I read in forum, the app interface is better and has faster connectivity.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
This is rather odd.
The car only supplies power to the cam and no other signaling. The power at the 12V port can be ON or OFF.
Perhaps some issue with your specific cam?
Maybe the battery is old and is not able to provide a high enough voltage the second time?
I have moved on and sold the car (not because of this issue though, lol ). The dashcam is waiting for its second innings in my next car which is expected to be home on Dusshera.

Will surely report if I still have the same issue. I think, it was just down to a loose connection from the 12v socket.
Old 28th October 2021, 23:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I installed 70mai dashcam in my Compass.
Hello Ramnaresh!

I have recently bought a Compass and intend to install a dashcam soon.

Couple of questions:

Can you please share how you ran the wire?
From the pictures, it seems you have the pre-facelift version of Compass. Where is the 12v charger in your car? Mine is below the rear a/c vents.

Thanks!
Old 29th October 2021, 12:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab_bsp View Post
Can you please share how you ran the wire?

Where is the 12v charger in your car?
Yes mine is pre-facelift version Compass which had 12v charger under AC controls. For facelift version, better to go with hardwire options as they provided Type C sockets (unless you find a Type A to Type C adapter which can supply required power to dashcam or find a long Type C cable instead of using the one provided by dashcam).

Wiring was pretty easy, all I used was a credit card for tucking the wiring. I first installed wiring and then later sticked the dashcam. The top has a small gap which can easily fit your finger. The windshield side wiring was tucked with just fingers, later the A pillar of passenger side was tucked using the credit card. The dashboard side also was tucked the same way. I did not remove any of the plastic cladding on the A pillar.

The only issue was extra wiring hanging near passenger side. I used a zip tie (or you can use a strong rubber band) to fold extra cable and then connected to 12v socket.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That's a cool job, looks very neat. I installed a 70mai Pro on my XUV300.
Hi Raghu,

I'm planning to fix a Viofo A129 Dual Dashcam to my XUV3OO W8(O). Would be great if you can help give some insights.

I read that it is recommended to take the rear camera wire via the floor along the door sill since the top houses the curtain airbags. However, I'm not clear on how it finally goes to the top of the roof at the rear windshield. Is it taken via the C-pillar? The plastic on C-pillar houses the seat belt, so not sure if we can remove this properly.

Thanks in advance!
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hi Raghu,

I'm planning to fix a Viofo A129 Dual Dashcam to my XUV3OO W8(O). Would be great if you can help give some insights.

I read that it is recommended to take the rear camera wire via the floor along the door sill since the top houses the curtain airbags. However, I'm not clear on how it finally goes to the top of the roof at the rear windshield. Is it taken via the C-pillar? The plastic on C-pillar houses the seat belt, so not sure if we can remove this properly. Thanks in advance!
Hello Sir, taking the wire from the flooring is not a bad idea. Since, mine is only front cam, I pulled the wire from the plastic (soft) cladding near the IRVM and gently used the plastic stick given in the dashcam package to insert the wire near the B pillar. I don't think it would be difficult, just pull the cladding by 2 cms and let the wire go in. I don't think that should be a problem. It's a good idea to have dual cams. Good luck.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 17:45   #28
BHPian

Hi everyone,

While reading through DIY guidelines on hardwiring dashcams, it talks about the importance of using circuit testers to check the polarity of fuses.

I don't have a circuit tester. Instead can I use the normal electrical tester (screwdriver type) to see which side is live? Would this work?
Old 27th December 2021, 17:29   #29
BHPian

Hey team,
I got the DD Pai Mini recently and I'm quite happy with the quality at the price.
That said, are there any device controls I can change via the app? It keeps taking pictures at the tiniest of bumps/ loud music/ aggressive acceleration.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 21:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Hey team,
That said, are there any device controls I can change via the app? It keeps taking pictures at the tiniest of bumps/ loud music/ aggressive acceleration.
This is how it works in iPhone
Turn on the Dash cam, Connect to the cam over wifi. Run the app
Click on the three dots here

DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz-jazz-1.jpg

and the setting is right there

DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz-jazz2.jpg

Else you can go to preview and click this icon on top right corner

DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz-jazz-3.jpg

This will give you access to all in app settings.

DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz-jazz-4.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks