Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 28th July 2021, 08:17   #16
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Installing a Dashcam in my Honda Jazz

Wow!
What a detailed post. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question about wire management
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Now run it under the rubber beading
How safe is this? Will it result in some gap in the door, leading to leakages?
Old 29th July 2021, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-BHP View Post
With hardwire kit, I guess you can connect the camera from the fuse box (hence will not require a USB port/car charger).
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
To have a cleaner install, I am planning to get it hooked up to a fuse which only powers on when the car is on, instead of the 12V socket.
Please do share pics of the hardwire connection.
I too plan to hardwire it with parking mode. Reason being the service centre guys/ drivers may unplug the USB power, accidental or deliberate. Though I am a little skeptical about battery drainage by these so called branded dash cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I have been used the same dashcam in my Nano for about a year now. The quality is acceptable. Just one word of caution! I have noticed that my ddpai does not fire up own its own if I stop tbe car and without removing the key start the car again. Though there is a sound notification "ding ding pai" it actually does not record anything. I have to unplug it and put the plug back in, make sure the orange light is up.
Additionally, on my drive to Goa and back, I noticed that once the unit heats up, the recording is a bit patchy. As in, it easily skips a few minutes of recording.
Same thing was noted on several pune-silvassa-pune non-stop drives.
One thing which I would have loved is, possibility to increase the recording time to around 5 mins, instead of 1 min for each video.
I never faced such issue with two DDPAI cams I am using. Try hard resetting the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meto View Post
Great job. However, I am not a fan of passing the wire through driver side unless it's hardwired to the fuse. By any remotest chance or an event, the wire might dangle near the driver's feet, and might cause hindrance to oneís driving ability. Itís better to route the wire through the passenger side even though the additional wire near the charging port might be an eye sore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
. The installation was easy but pulling the wire from the driver's side is not recommended. In case the wire slips between those fuses, it will come in contact with our legs or the A, B, C pedals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The only thing I will say is, as others said, please route the wire from the passenger side. I use zip-ties and tie it with other wires or any object just below the dashboard, so it do not hang or fiddle with the co-passengers leg.
Thanks for the concerns. It's certainly safer from the passenger side. However driver side wiring isn't exactly unsafe if properly secured with zip ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How safe is this? Will it result in some gap in the door, leading to leakages?
The wire is on the inner side of the beading hence does not interfere with water tight shutting of door.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Please do share pics of the hardwire connection.
I too plan to hardwire it with parking mode. Reason being the service centre guys/ drivers may unplug the USB power, accidental or deliberate. Though I am a little skeptical about battery drainage by these so called branded dash cams.
I am actually more concerned about them removing the SD Card in case we leave the dash cam in the car once it's hardwired.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 07:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am actually more concerned about them removing the SD Card in case we leave the dash cam in the car once it's hardwired.
That will defeat the very purpose of having a Dash cam. In case of DDPAI mini it cannot be detached from the mount as well. I guess there is no fix to someone removing the SD card, except using glue to paste the sd card cover for ever.
Old 30th July 2021, 13:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-BHP View Post
Great job! Thanks for the detailed information.

I am also looking at installing DDPAI mini (based on the same reason as you that it is the cheapest respectable brand's dashcam).

DDPAI sell hardwire kit also for 24hrs monitoring/power. With hardwire kit, I guess you can connect the camera from the fuse box (hence will not require a USB port/car charger). Not sure if the hardwire kits are brand-specific or are generic.
One question on hardwiring, may be a pretty naive one.

Will connecting the hardwiring kit from the dashcam to the fuse box cause any issue with the warranty? Or will Insurance consider this as an unauthorized electrical item in case of any electrical accident?

Most Viewed