Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 16:24   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Fixing & painting a deep scratch

@goandude congratulations!!
It is indeed not possible to figure out the old damaged panels.

This also kind of concludes that products from Com-Paint - be it so called Clear Coat, filler or even the paint itself are of sub-standard quality. In my case it is a solid paint - can't
make out the difference. In case of metallic paints they don't seem to pay attention to mixing ratio.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 22:08   #17
BHPian

@Somspaple - Beautiful DIY. Well researched and meticulously executed. My Honda city has got few scratches on the fenders and bumper. Compaint seems to be capable of fixing them. They have the color in stock. Since it's been more than three months you did this work, can you please share long term update? Do you see any paint peeling off or fading?
Old 30th December 2021, 14:10   #18
BHPian

[quote=somspaple;5141406]On one fine day I backed my car into a tree..

That was a very good review. please confirm whether you used com-cut ? Should we use com-cut along with EP2000 ? Mine is a 9 years old polo Flash red. I can see that my car is relatively faded compared to the new cars ? Do you have any advise for me. I have already done the wet sanding. Plannng to get it painted this weekend
Attached Images

Old 3rd January 2022, 12:06   #19
BHPian

Update: This weekend completed the painting and final touch up. Results came out well. Paint colour was on spot with my polo flash red. Since it is non metallic, I did not bother to give multiple coats of paint and clear coat. Restricted the spray to 2 times.

But I ensured all the scratches in my car was handled in the process and still there is half of the product left for future use.

step by step process as per my experience:
1) Use EP400 grit Sheet to wet sand the damaged spot. Give gentle pressure and make it smooth.
2) Apply Com fill whereever painting touch up needs to be done.
3) Allow it to dry for 1 hour.
4) Use EP2000 grit sheet to wet sand the filled spot, till the area is nice and smooth.
5) Allow it to dry. I left it for 3 days.
6) Before painting ensure the areas other than the painting surface to be covered . I used newspaper with surgical white tape. The paste will not leave a strain in surgical tape.
6) Shake the bottle well and spray it across very fast else the paint will drip. Leave it for 10 mins and then spray it again.
7) After 1 hour , I did 2 coats of spray with com merger.
8) Let it settle for a day.
9) USe Com-cut paste and wipe it like we do waxing.
10) Finally apply wax coat.
Attached Images

mrdexter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
@Somspaple - Beautiful DIY. Well researched and meticulously executed. My Honda city has got few scratches on the fenders and bumper. Compaint seems to be capable of fixing them. They have the color in stock. Since it's been more than three months you did this work, can you please share long term update? Do you see any paint peeling off or fading?
Overall the products from Com-paint are of sub standard - in my case paint worked out just fine because it is non-metallic. However the Com-Merge , clear coat in the kit is useless. It dulls within weeks. You are better off with a 2K clear coat bought from Amazon etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdexter View Post
That was a very good review. please confirm whether you used com-cut ? Should we use com-cut along with EP2000 ? Mine is a 9 years old polo Flash red. I can see that my car is relatively faded compared to the new cars ? Do you have any advise for me. I have already done the wet sanding. Plannng to get it painted this weekend
I see that you've already finished painting - great results! congratulations!
If you still find adjacent panels dull due to ageing, you can use the same paint polish on adjacent panels - that'll bring up the gloss back. Only suggestion I would provide is about using polish - unlike waxing we need to put in lot of elbow grease into it else the finish will dull within no time. And if you have patience and strength left after all the process - you can polish the entire car! It'll make it look like brand new.

Last edited by somspaple : 6th January 2022 at 11:07.
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
- you can polish the entire car! It'll make it look like brand new.
Oh great. thanks for the input. Will try that

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2022 at 12:05. Reason: Fixing quote tags, please Preview before Submitting post. Thanks.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:41   #22
BHPian

Tried the MU Magma GreyMetallic Com paint medium scratches on clear coat. After following the instructions, the outcome is not good. Using com-merge it become dull and not able to put glossy shine. Tried with light sanding + Cut compound + Waxing. No change. Local car detailer is asking 12000 to repaint them.

Pls advise. Can i use Bosny Clear Lacquer spray to get the glossy shine. The surface looks like orange peel effect.

Name:  IMG20220109111040.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  IMG20220109111051.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  IMG20220109111057.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  IMG20220109111110.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  23.3 KB
blackstallion76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 09:55   #23
BHPian

Pls advise. Can i use Bosny Clear Lacquer spray to get the glossy shine. The surface looks like orange peel effect.

IMO its better to leave it as it is. Com-Paints work good for non metallic colors. Even then there will be a slight difference in painting effect. No paint shop can match the paint quality of OEM, even if it is to be done at the Hyundai paint shop.

If repainting has to be done again, it might further deteriorate the area.

For my polo the rear bumper was replaced at VW showroom only. But after 2 years the paints started splitting and it looks like veins spread all over the rear. Also it looks pinkish from certain angle.

So it is impossible to give a perfect match. Also it is always better to be painted than with scratch marks all over.
Old 18th January 2022, 16:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Tried the MU Magma GreyMetallic Com paint medium scratches on clear coat. After following the instructions, the outcome is not good. Using com-merge it become dull and not able to put glossy shine. Tried with light sanding + Cut compound + Waxing. No change. Local car detailer is asking 12000 to repaint them.

Looks like you've got a good paint match. Congrats on that. Com-paint has substandard clear coat. I would suggest you use : https://www.amazon.in/SAMURAI-KUROBU...8DYBL8GT&psc=1

Prep the surface with 1500 grit wet sanding. No need to respray the paint. After sanding/cleaning and drying, use the above clear coat. But the issue with clear coat is you would've to cover the entire panel. Other option is - do not mask very close to the area you are going to spray, keep your work area wide even though you might spraying in a smaller section - once your clear coat is dry [after few days] wet sand and polish the entire panel.

Do not worry about Orange peel effect. After wet sanding and polishing this will reduce to a great extent. However I would suggest watch enough videos and read up before proceeding.

Last edited by somspaple : 18th January 2022 at 16:52.
somspaple is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 18:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Looks like you've got a good paint match. Congrats on that. Com-paint has substandard clear coat. I would suggest you use : https://www.amazon.in/SAMURAI-KUROBU...8DYBL8GT&psc=1

Prep the surface with 1500 grit wet sanding. No need to respray the paint. After sanding/cleaning and drying, use the above clear coat. But the issue with clear coat is you would've to cover the entire panel. Other option is - do not mask very close to the area you are going to spray, keep your work area wide even though you might spraying in a smaller section - once your clear coat is dry [after few days] wet sand and polish the entire panel.

Do not worry about Orange peel effect. After wet sanding and polishing this will reduce to a great extent. However I would suggest watch enough videos and read up before proceeding.
After much deliberation, took to repaint guy and he suggested to do compounding+rubbing+wax sealant. Went ahead and below is results.

It removed the touch-up paint and retained wet sanding marks back. Looking ugly now.

DIY: Fixing & painting a deep scratch-img20220121180127.jpg
DIY: Fixing & painting a deep scratch-img20220121180133.jpg

Last edited by blackstallion76 : 21st January 2022 at 18:22. Reason: photos not required
blackstallion76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 19:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
After much deliberation, took to repaint guy and he suggested to do compounding+rubbing+wax sealant. Went ahead and below is results.

It removed the touch-up paint and retained wet sanding marks back. Looking ugly now.
Did you do the compounding and rubbing? You've lost the soft paint since it did not have the clear coat protection. If wet sanding marks are visible that means either sanding marks are really deep or polishing work is not up to the mark.

Even now not much is lost - you have a neat surface - that's 75% work done already. If you are left with spray paint - I would suggest wet sanding with 1500/2000 grit -> dry it > spray paint 2-3 coats > get the clear coat from Amazon and spray on top > let it dry thoroughly for couple of days > . IPA wipe down>Wet sand/Compound/Polish/Seal/Wax. Of course - follow all the precautions at each step.

It can be frustrating, have patience and spread the steps over a period of time.

Last edited by somspaple : 21st January 2022 at 19:22.
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 11:02   #27
BHPian

My 6 year old Jazz has some small scratches dues to other vehicles scraping it. They are of 1-2cms size, and I just noticed that they are rusting! What can I do to get rid of rust and ensure rust doesn't spread?
Old 1st November 2022, 23:39   #28
BHPian

Hello fellow members,

I took my S-cross Zeta Petrol 1.5 - Granite grey, 2021 model for its 3rd free service on 20th October, Thursday to Nexa service centre, Dwarka sector 8, New Delhi. I specifically chose a weekday to avoid weekend rush. I already had a booked appointment for 9am slot, but a day before I got the call from service centre that they open up at 8am. Since I was free, I reached service centre at 8.15am sharp. Mine was the third car in queue and the only car out of other two that came for oil change. The other two were there for 2nd free service that is general checkup and washing only. I was hoping I would get free pretty early. But then it was all nightmare there afterwards. It was already 10am and cleaning guys were upto final touch, cleaning and polishing in and out. The car was out from washing at 10.30am and then I noticed something white shining at rear left door. Earlier I thought it must be dirt or polish which is yet to be cleaned. As I went closer, I noticed they were few scratches. Not very deep, but still they could be felt if I moved my nail against them.

I was pretty furious since I was able to protect my car from all the scratches from past one year, only had one over the bumper which was also almost non-visible. Plus a scratch which is not even your mistake and moreover you get it from service centre.

I called my SA and he said it would have been there earlier. I asked him to check the pictures he clicked before taking the car in and post that he agreed. While he did try to brush it off but offered rubbing and polishing. That did hide the scratches for about 50% but still visible.

I got my car after service and SA said that he will do free polishing once again post Diwali. I left the service station, but was still pretty furious and you know how first scratch feels like on your car.

I went to a fuel station to get a full tank and noticed a guy selling scratch remover from a brand Euro shine. Has anyone heard of it? He was offering a free demo which I gladly said yes to and showed him my latest and newly acquired scratch. He was pretty confident that he can remove it and applied rubbing compound, a polish over it and scratch was invisible. I was pretty impressed and bought the 900 INR kit for 700 INR. My home was just few kms. away and as I reached home happily, I looked at the scratch and it was visible again.

I left it as is for few days, but I was losing my sleep over it and was unable to find a solution without getting a door repainted. I know it's just a scratch but it wasn't my mistake and why should I let it go? With these thoughts I raised it to Maruti Suzuki and sent an e-mail describing the whole scenario. The next morning I got a call from service centre apologizing about the incident and asked me to come over. With little hope I paid them a visit the next day. The head, customer care manager both had a look at the car and called few technicians. They applied a rubbing compound again and this time used a buffing machine and then wax to seal it. They cleaned the surface post that and scratches were now only visible 10%. They said that they can do more buffing but that will only harm paint further then. Other solution they offered was a repainting which I denied. Good thing, scratch can't be seen by anyone unless they know where to look exactly. I liked the prompt action, but that happened once I raised, however SA didn't try much to get it resolved at first go. Anyway, I'll live with it. Attaching a picture of the scratches post I identified at service centre.DIY: Fixing & painting a deep scratch-img_20221101_233834.jpg
Beingtraveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
My 6 year old Jazz has some small scratches dues to other vehicles scraping it. They are of 1-2cms size, and I just noticed that they are rusting! What can I do to get rid of rust and ensure rust doesn't spread?
I believe they will have to be repainted post rust is removed. Better to get this done from Authorized service centre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks