Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 07:31   #1
BHPian

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta

Let me begin this by thanking Safe Cams for sending me their Y3S dual-dashcam model for reviewing.

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-sc1.jpg

Disclaimer : This is not a paid review. I am reviewing this in as unbiased a way as possible primarily from the perspective of a Creta owner who might be interested in a dashcam. The battery negative was disconnected before performing the electrical installation.

Personally, I cannot stress the importance of a dashcam enough especially in India but sadly, it is probably the most overlooked accessory as of now.

Box contents :

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-sc2.jpg

Installation procedure :

a) Electrical installation : The rear camera wire was plugged into the other end of the wire with the 2.5 mm 3 pole male AV connector and this connector was plugged into the main front camera unit.
The main proprietary connector was connected to the dashcam's main unit which also houses the front camera. The other end of this connector has the wires marked ACC, Batt B+ and GND.

I connected the wire marked "ACC" to the fuse socket for the rear 12v power outlet through one of the supplied fuse taps. The fuse taps are provided with the hardwire kit (image below). Please note that if you hardwire this completely then the main fuse bypass will have the 20 ampere fuse while the fuse for the dashcam will have a 5 ampere fuse, both on the fuse tap.

Next, I connected the wire marked BATT B+ to the fuse socket for the cabin lights again through another supplied fuse tap. Please note here as well that if you hardwire this completely then the main fuse bypass will have the 10 ampere fuse while the fuse for the dashcam will have a 5 ampere fuse, both on the fuse tap.

Finally, the prong connector of the wire marked "GND" was connected directly to the negative terminal of the battery through the existing connections of an aftermarket 12v socket which was installed earlier. As an alternative, the prong connector can also be connected to any of the ground-connected bolts around the cabin fuse box and this is the more preferable method.

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-sc3.jpg

b) Software installation : This part is very easy. The Kacam app needs to be downloaded from the link mentioned in the user manual. An alternative way would be to scan the QR code that comes in the box package. The app is very lightweight. After installing, we need to connect the smartphone with the dashcam through WiFi after entering the password which can be obtained by contacting the manufacturer.

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-sf4.jpg

c) Physical installation : The live footage from the cameras can be very helpful in adjusting their position before the final installation of the cameras. The front camera which also serves as the main unit comes with a mount that has a double-sided adhesive tape attached to it. Although it can be attached to the windshield, I would suggest not to do so since it is illegal to install anything on the safety glass areas of a car unless approved by the government. This is because the visual light transmittance or VLT percentage gets reduced. Hence, I cleaned a small portion of the dashboard as well as the underside of the rear high-mounted stoplight assembly module with a degreasing solution first and then with alcohol wipes. Then both the cameras were installed at their respective places. Since the product was just for review, I kept the wiring exposed. However, buyers can easily hide the wiring inside the roof liner area as well as the A-pillar plastic trim on the driver's side if necessary. The wires have more than enough length for this. The supplied 64 GB micro-SD card was then plugged in into the main unit.

Review :
Pros : This dashcam has a capacitor instead of an inbuilt battery. The disadvantage of battery-based dashcams is that they are risky since they typically use lithium-based batteries which are prone to explosions due to their high sensitivity to heat. It would be wise to note that the interior temperatures of a car parked outside under the sun often exceed 80 degrees centigrade in summer in India. Capacitor-based dashcams like this one have no such issues.

The picture quality is top-notch primarily due to the Sony sensor but the footage shown below does not do justice to the actual quality due to the limitations of websites like Facebook, Youtube, etc.

I also liked the fact that each of the cameras of the Y3S records full HD 1080p videos @ 30 FPS. Frankly, I was tired of seeing shady manufacturers selling poor-quality dashcams which actually capture footage at 720p but they sell it with confusing names like HD-Ready or even fraudulently claim to be more than 1080p (720p + 720p). The dashcams by Safe Cams have no such issues and what you see is exactly what you get.

Also, many other dashcams often capture footage with a slight bluish tinge but the Y3S maintains the colour accuracy very well.

The depth of field (DOF) of this Y3S is very high too. This means that most objects in its line of sight will remain in focus irrespective of the objects' distance from the lens. Kudos to Safe Cams for that. I was inadvertently able to test the DOF specifically due to the adhesive tape not sticking to the surface which resulted in improper positioning of the camera but more on that later.

The audio quality too is surprisingly good in this Y3S dashcam which is not usually the case with other dashcams. The recorded audio is not stereo but monaural in nature. The advantage of monaural audio is that it requires approximately half the storage space of stereo sound if the rest of the parameters are the same.

Cons : Everything in this world has some negatives and this Y3S too is not an exception. Firstly, the double-sided adhesive tapes supplied with this dashcam were of very poor quality and would not stick. I had to hold the dashcam's front unit on the dashboard of my first-generation Creta with my right hand the entire time to make this review while my son was driving. The rear camera of this dashcam stuck to its position for some time but later that too fell down on the rear parcel tray of my car. The rear camera has a provision for installation with the help of supplied screws but I didn't want to damage my car since the product was just for review purposes.

Secondly, there is a minor software issue where the app refuses to connect to the dashcam after the engine is turned back on after switching it off. My son checked this with multiple smartphones as well as both a laptop and a desktop PC running Bluestacks (an Android emulator). However, once connected, the Kacam App maintains the connection flawlessly. Safe Cams has promised to look into this issue and claim to be upgrading and fixing the software bugs continuously. So hopefully, such issues will be resolved soon. Also, this connection issue with the App has no impact on the dashcam's footage recording. Not once did the dashcam fail to record and that is what matters the most.

Thirdly, the footage captured by the rear camera is mirror-inversed and I found this a bit weird and slightly disconcerting.

Fourthly, the file lengths of the captured video footage is of approximately 1 minute each. Although this is excellent for preventing the file from getting corrupted in a collision, I would have preferred user-adjustable file lengths in variations of 2, 5, 15, 30 and 60 minutes as those would enable us to capture complete trips and easily store them for viewing later. However, I also understand that a lot more processing power would be required for handling such large file sizes along with a faster micro SD card. And this would push up costs substantially.

What could have been better is that they could have kept the provision to add a GPS module purchasable separately to add to the dashcam. This is because GPS data on the footage adds more legal weight to evidence admissible in a court of law. Hopefully, they will release such models in the future.

Summary : Overall, the product is very good and does its job flawlessly apart from the minor niggles. The best part is that this product is "Made in India" and performs its basic duty exceptionally. The pricing of this product at INR 13499 after a 10% discount on its MRP at INR 14999 is very reasonable too. Shared below is some sample footage that should give you some idea of the video quality but an accurate representation of the Y3S dashcam's footage is nearly impossible here since websites like Facebook, Youtube, etc render their videos very differently from the original videos. Still here is a compilation of some of the captured footage ...

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 6th September 2021 at 07:37.
Chhanda Das is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 08:04   #2
BHPian

re: DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta

Wow , amazing work @Chhanda Das , beautifully written , a dash cam is a major necessity here in India. A great choice and the installation also is very clean I must say. Looking forward for more DIY's .

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta

Thanks for sharing a very neutral review. Completely agree with you that dashcams is something everyone should invest in. Its a bit confusing to me that people don't mind spending thounsands on chrome kits and detailing, but don't buy a reasonably good dash-cam, which isn't very costly either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Thirdly, the footage captured by the rear camera is mirror-inversed and I found this a bit weird and slightly disconcerting.
This particular thing would be a deal-breaker for me if there is no software fix in the options of the app to flip the image. For a product that costs above 10K INR - such basic issues are unforgivable. Hoping there is some option in the software menus to flip the image laterally.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th September 2021 at 09:18.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its a bit confusing to me that people don't mind spending thounsands on chrome kits and detailing, but don't buy a reasonably good dash-cam, which isn't very costly either!
You have reiterated my thoughts exactly. Apparently, most people prefer looks over safety/security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hoping there is some option in the software menus to flip the image laterally
I contacted Safe Cams about this along with the other issues but they insisted that this was intended as a feature to help drivers with reversing the car as well as to keep an eye on things at the back while driving forward normally by viewing on a smartphone screen. This totally seems weird to me. However, they also mentioned that they will soon issue a software update to let the user choose the footage capture modes amongst options like vertical inversion, horizontal inversion, normal, etc.
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding a couple of caution or care points

Use the Blade fuse (Highlighted in GREEN) directly if there is any empty slot available in the fuse box.
if not, use the fuse tap (highlighted in RED) by disconnecting the BLUE highlighted joint

Combination of both is not required (though it will work)

DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-00.jpg

Check for the input and output terminals in fuse box before using the fuse tap
In this snap, if the right side terminal is INPUT (I'm not concluding, it's just an assumption) to fuse, then the supply bypasses the fuse and directly supplied to the dashcam
DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-02.jpg

Making a rough sketch for better understanding
DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-fuse-tap.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice work there, a dashcam is a bare necessity these days and whose utility cannot be overstated much. The footage of the rear camera seems decent enough but it’s the placement of the front cam which is little weird since the footage from the front camera is not optimal. The car dash is taking most of the screen going by what I saw in the video. I have been using the dashcam attached to the windshield just under the inside rear view mirror and which gives optimal view of the surroundings in my humble view.

Also, I had no idea that attaching a camera to the windshield is illegal since most of the car dash cameras have instructions to the contrary. Is this mentioned specifically in the MV Act ??
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Adding a couple of caution or care points
You are absolutely right and 100% accurate. I have done almost exactly as you have mentioned above. However, since they had sent the product to me only for reviewing to be returned back to them later, I did not do the necessary crimping of the wires to the fuse taps. Also, I wanted to keep their property in as pristine a condition as possible and hence we chose to avoid the crimping way. We followed the basic precautions as per the exact wiring schematic as you showed in your rough sketch above by testing the continuity and the direction of the flow of the current with the help of a multimeter. We could have used a basic 12v LED bulb as well for determining the direction of current flow. But I did not mention all of this above because this is a part of the basics of how fuse taps should be wired. We also went a step further in favour of safety precautions and did not use the specific 12 volt accessory socket and the cabin lights on the fuse sockets of which the fuse taps were attached for the entire period the dashcam setup was electrically connected to the car

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 6th September 2021 at 11:17.
Old 6th September 2021, 18:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The car dash is taking most of the screen going by what I saw in the video.
You are absolutely right but the problem was that the adhesive tapes were of very poor quality and I had to hold the front camera unit with my right hand while my son was driving. Needless to say that the camera was not aligned properly which explains the unnecessary footage of the dashboard. However, on the plus side, this allowed me to check out the depth of field of the camera very clearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Also, I had no idea that attaching a camera to the windshield is illegal since most of the car dash cameras have instructions to the contrary. Is this mentioned specifically in the MV Act ?
There is nothing directly mentioned prohibiting us from installing dashcams on the windshield glasses of our cars either in the M.V. Act or the C.M.V.R. but the interpretation of the laws about the VLT percentages by the honorable Supreme Court of India has made it very clear that we cannot install anything on the safety glass areas of our cars. You can verify this in a copy of the judgement (link below), specifically in point 17 in the Avishek Goenka Vs Union of India and Anr case {Writ Petition (Civil) NO . 265 OF 2011} where it is clearly mentioned "prohibits alteration of such VLT by any means subsequent to its manufacturing". Similarly, in point 23 any remaining ambiguity is cleared and I quote "Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law". Now obviously there are some exceptions to this as well since both the Central and State/U.T. governments have made laws to permit attaching some government-approved stickers to the windshield like colour-coded HSRP stickers, Fastags, etc

http://jowaipolice.gov.in/Laws_and_R...ss_in_cars.pdf

But thankfully, I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fined/prosecuted for installing a mobile holder or a dashcam on the windshield of their vehicle

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 6th September 2021 at 18:13.
Old 26th September 2021, 11:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Let me begin this by thanking Safe Cams for sending me their Y3S dual-dashcam model for reviewing.
Excellent review Chanda Das and a good buy! I'm one of the earliest users of a fantastic model SC01 from the stables of Safe cam and since then have driven 25k covering every terrain possible. SC01 though looks like your Y3S has every feature possible in a dashcam including GPS. I was provided with a 128 GB sd card and could record up to 4hours of footage. The quality of the dashcam and the footage is top notch and I too got hooked because they are constructed or assembled in India and looking to avoid Chinese ones. They provide a 3m adhesive which is rock solid and I can vouch for it as the way my Ecosport has been tested in various terrain. The price I got was an absolute steal and a very happy user of dashcam which many a time helped me capture my finest drives. I understand that SC01 is no more manufactured but, still publishing the specifications offered to me for reference only.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta-screenshot_20210926112714_adobe-acrobat.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th September 2021 at 11:51. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Organic Chlorin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 21:16   #10

I got the dual Y3S dual-dashcam in early 2022 and since then had issues (maybe I got unlucky).
Latest issue being the dashcam draining my S-Scross battery completely. This happened on multiple occasions.
Got the Dashcam connectors disconnected by the service centre now.

Has anyone else faced the same?

SafeCam customer care is now non-existent. I believe they are on verge of shutting shop (if not already closed).
They were quite responsive when I bought the camera in 2022. However since last few months they don't answer emails or calls.

Regret buying this Camera (Had only got it due to the Made in India tag).

Posting this as a warning to potential SafeCam customers on the poor after sales service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks