Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 10:42   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks

Thanks to Sinu Kalapurayil Joseph for sending the information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
After buying my Thar 2021, the immediate miss which I felt was a grab handle. Being 6 feet, ingress and egress was always a problem. My 2009 Bolero Storm was 1000 times better in terms of driver seat accessibility. Tried changing seating positions and steering adjustments but it did not help. To install the easily available grab handle models, the A-pillar needs to be drilled, which I was really skeptical about. All those options were ranging around 5000 Rs. I was wondering why Mahindra did not offer the same grab handle to the driver seat which was available for the front passenger seat. But I could see false plastic buttons on the driver’s side which made me think that if I can source the same co-driver grab handle I will be able to install the same on the driver side too. This was how the driver side looks like.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  72.4 KB

Tried removing one of the plastic buttons to check if threads are available to install the grab handle and this is what I could see. Positive signal to move forward with the next steps.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  159.5 KB

Started searching on the Internet for the grab handle and ended up ordering the below one after looking at the detailed OEM catalogue. Interestingly, the OEM catalogue available at boodmo was showing grab handles for the right and left sides.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  50.0 KB

But ended up having a problem with the bolt shown in the OEM catalogue.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  38.0 KB

These are 6 mm bolts that come with metal washers and since these washers are too big they won’t go inside the grab handle bolt slot. Also, the washer is fixed on the bolt and cannot be removed. Another issue was that no spanner can be used to tighten the bolt since the grab handle bolt slot is very narrow. From the local market, I could find a similar bolt with a smaller size washer, but the overall length of the bolt was a little less which was ok.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  81.0 KB

T-spanner which cannot reach the bolt head to tighten it.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  65.3 KB

I was feeling lazy to search again for the right size tightening tool and decided to do some jugaad! Cut the bolt head so that I can use a flat screwdriver to tighten the bolt. I did not have a workbench too so used a player. (Try this at your own risk)

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  94.5 KB

The finished bolt was looking like this.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  75.3 KB

Looks like all issues are sorted out and let's move on!

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  74.5 KB

Final product.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  86.7 KB

This grab handle is not as good as the one on the A-pillar in terms of positioning, but it really does its job. This simple one eliminates 90% of my ingress and egress struggles.
UtkarshC is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks

This is a Mahindra gene defect and none of their vehicles have this feature for drivers. Mahindra feels that all other front seat co- passengers are not fit enough and must use a grab handle to gain entry. Only the driver is fit enough according to them. They perhaps feel that their drivers are fit, ebullient, athletic and agile gymnast like Olympians who can simply jump that height from outside to occupy the driver's seat.

It's good that Mr Sinu has undertaken this job to cure Mahindra's gene defect for such a very reasonable amount.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th November 2021 at 16:20.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

For a company with a good number of tall vehicles, Mahindra seems to have an allergy towards grab handles mounted on the A pillar.

Have seen a number of next gen Scorpio test mules sporting A pillar mounted grab handles on the left side only. And am pretty sure they will remove it in the production version., as seen by the the most recent scoop pics.
Old 24th November 2021, 19:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job! Just a suggestion, if available and possible try and use stainless steel bolts for all aftermarket fitments. Will come off easily if you want it to. If not available, atleast TVS, STL or similar good quality bolts. Never use "Naadan Bolt" meaning locally made ones.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't have a grab handle on the XUV too. I sorely miss one. Should have been given on the high variant at least.
Old 24th December 2021, 00:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a Mahindra gene defect and none of their vehicles have this feature for drivers.
Not just Mahindra, almost all cars do not come with a driver-side grab handle.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 12:44   #7
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks

Thanks to this discussion, I got the OEM handle installed on the driver's side. Functional, and looks neat!

Was cumbersome to make the service center order the part for me, but a little cajoling helped
Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks-img_20230819_104907.jpg

Mahindra Thar: Install driver-side grab handle for just 200 bucks-img_20230819_104916.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks