Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 20:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4

Why Cruise Control in a Grand Vitara that is 10+ years old?
Simple Answer: Just because it can be done and has been done by several people, in countries, where the Vitara came without the Cruise option.

How do you know if the vehicle is cruise ready?
If the vehicle has the fuse for cruise in the fuse box (under the steering/driver side footwell area fuse box), you are in luck and have a cruise ready vehicle. It's just that the cruise control buttons have not been put in that model of the vehicle.

Can Cruise Control be installed on Indian Grand Vitara?
Yes, on both the 2.0 & 2.4 versions.

What are the parts needed?
This below diagram served as my reference guide for parts and connections.
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-0000intropartnumbers.jpg

Different types of Cruise Control switches
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-00cctypes.jpg

The cruise buttons are of different types with different part numbers and after much reading, on Russian online forums, understood that there were different cruise control buttons for models with backlit & non-backlit options. In addition, there is also a combi-type part that has both Audio & Cruise controls but the connector (G54) in that is of a different type and I was almost 100% sure that our Indian Vitara did not have that connector inside. You can go down that route but will need to change more parts and will be very expensive.

So, the combi-type was out of way and the choice was to either order backlit one or non-backlit one. This was made easy by the following considerations:
  • The non-backlit one was cheaper and available easily (for me)
  • Less wire connections/cutting/joining and more straight forward install

The only drawback would be loss of backlight on both the audio & cruise control switches, on the steering wheel, when lights are turned on.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th July 2022 at 08:25.
khan_sultan is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4

The SGP part#37460-64j40-zcp arrived in couple of days:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-000ccpacket.jpg

This is the cruise module:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-001cc.jpg

The wiring on the connector side. Non-backlit one has 4 wires (discount the blue wire) and the backlit version would have 6 wires (2 extra for backlit)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-002ccconnector.jpg

De-pin the wires from the connector and this is how it looks:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-003ccwires.jpg

NOTE: De-pinning is not a straight forward task of just pulling the wires from the connectors. The connector has locks and wires/pins have to be removed carefully, else the pins will break.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th July 2022 at 08:44.
khan_sultan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the vehicle to a service center and got the master electrician to do the connections. I told him which wire goes where, what to do and he followed the instructions blindly:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-1start.jpg

Preparations to remove the steering and airbag (Remove the plastic panels below the steering also):
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-20removesteering.jpg

Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-22removesteering.jpg

Behind the steering you will find this connector (G33) which has the audio control wires. Make a note of the colors of the wires and the slots numbers (green-empty-black-red-orange-pink)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-3connector.jpg

Remove the orange & pink wires/pins from the connector. (Any good electrician will know how to do this cleanly, so, will not describe this in detail)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-4depin.jpg

Orange & pink wires removed (these are the wires for the audio backlit connection)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-5pinsout.jpg

This is how the steering will look after de-pinning the orange & pink wires from the G33 connector
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-6depinnedfinal.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th July 2022 at 21:08.
khan_sultan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Remove few cms of the black sleeve to open up the wires and then cut the orange & pink wires. Remember to insulate the cut ends individually.
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-70backlitwirecut.jpg

Make sure to keep the pin & the cut wire safely. These will be used later:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-71keeppins.jpg

Now, remove the steering completely and then screw on the cruise control buttons. Remember to take the wires behind the wheel, in same manner as the audio wire bunch, so that when you put it back, the bunch of wires do not obstruct the airbag:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-8putccbuttons.jpg

The most important part of making the connections:
  • Grey wire from cruise goes to the slot from where pink wire was removed.
  • Yellow wire from cruise goes to the slot from where orange wire was removed.
  • Brown wire from cruise goes to the empty slot of the connector.
  • Splice (Do NOT cut) the Green wire in G33 at the connector end. Cut the Green wire from cruise, leaving few inches of wire with the pin (Keep the wire-pin safely) and connect the Green wire from cruise to the spliced portion of the Green wire in audio block/G33 connector

This is how it will look:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-90finalsteeringwires.jpg

Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-91finalsteeringwires.jpg

Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-92finalsteeringwires.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th July 2022 at 18:08.
khan_sultan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Underneath the steering you will see two connectors -- Yellow & White. The white one is the other end of the G33 connector we have worked on till now. Remove it and you will see 5 wires in it:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-10understeering.jpg

The 5 wires & an empty slot. The 2 wires on the extreme left, the red-blue & the red-yellow ones, and the empty slot are of our interest.
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-11usconnector.jpg

Cut the red-blue & the red-yellow wires. Remove the locks from the connector and insert the pin from the blue wire (extra wire left from cruse control) into the empty slot. Cut the clamp end of the blue wire. This is how it will look:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-12uswirescut.jpg

Now find 3 wires of approx. 1 mtr length each (you can find in service center easily and they will be of automotive grade, same/similar spec)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-13make3wires.jpg

This is how the car looks at this point of the installation:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-14midstste.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th July 2022 at 18:18.
khan_sultan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Connect the 3 wires to the wires in the G33 connector (Remember the color of the wires & their slot position):
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-15uswiresconnected.jpg

Connect these left over pins to the other end of the wire. (incase you need a pin, you can source it from the waste wiring harnesses etc. Just ensure it is of correct type and will fit in the connector):
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-16extrapins.jpg

Under the drive foot well you will have to find a grey color connector. (G05 connector) It will be just below-side of the fuse box. Remove the lock from the connector, so that wires can be added to it:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-18g05connectoropen.jpg

Bottom row, the 3rd, 4th & 5th slots from left are empty and are the slots where we need to connect the wires. We will call these slots -- slot#12, slot#13 & slot#14 respectively
  • The pin at other end of the wire which was put in empty slot in G33 will be inserted into slot#12 of G05 connector
  • The pin at other end of the red-yellow wire will be inserted into slot#13 of G05 connector
  • The pin at other end of the red-blue wire will be inserted into slot#14 of G05 connector
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-19g05connector.jpg

This is how it will look:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-20g05connectedwires.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th July 2022 at 08:48.
khan_sultan is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

That's it! Now put everything back in reverse order carefully. This is how the steering would look:
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-21finalinstall.jpg

Press the MAIN button on the cruise control switch and the CRUISE light on speedo should show up.
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-22cruiselighton.jpg

Have tested the cruise for approx. 50 odd kms till now and it works perfectly. Setting speed, resume from memory, speed increase/reduce, cancel from button and if you use the clutch/brake/change gear, work perfectly fine.

NOTE: The cruise works only in the 4th & 5th gears at speed of 40+. The cruise does not work in 1/2/3 gears and I don't know the reason (this has been reported in Russian forums also and I knew it before hand and is not something I found out after install).

The cruise works as described in this link: https://monolith.in.ua/kruiz-kontrol...-grand-vitara/

Summary (In case this link does not work in future)
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-use1.jpg
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-use2.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th July 2022 at 08:27.
khan_sultan is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It's important that I share the resources I used as reference for this install.

While there were several international forums where installation of cruise was asked/discussed, the first detailed tutorial I found was here and the OP here had created a tutorial shared here. This was in Spanish and I even got the tutorial converted into English for better understanding.

This led me to the discovery of Russian forum threads where there are dozens and dozens of thread on this topic of Cruise Control on Grand Vitara. I read & re-read them all (almost all) and took me some time to understand terms like dorestyle, restyle, used on the Russian forum, and what they meant in context of cruise install. It took lots of time to understand different wire colors and what each wire does in audio side, cruise side and different connectors. Got several circuit diagrams translated from Russian into English using google translate & and then finalized on how to approach it here.

For example:
A diagram that was not used but helped a lot along the way (The text in English is my addition to the image):
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-example.jpg

Another diagram that was not used but helped a lot in understanding (The text in English is my addition to the image):
Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-example1.jpg

Some important threads that helped:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/8438009/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/8438382/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/8438846/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/288230376152948901/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/564832318401806625/

And this was the most important resource.
https://disk.yandex.com/i/jb0tkxO3igAdV

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th July 2022 at 08:31.
khan_sultan is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 09:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A truly worthy update.

Cruise in my Brezza works only above 40kmph in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. No idea why.

Installing Cruise Control in Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4-screenshot_2022071609381185_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

Maruti/Suzuki also has ample playground available in their cars. I've read about a few users installing cruise control in their VDi and ZDi variants of Brezza.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 09:57   #10
BHPian

Excellent work ! A much deserving feature missing in the GV installed nicely ! Congratulations

Although small suggestion from my side, better to use heat shrink tubes than electrical tapes as over time they get sticky and messy.

Always wondered why Maruti had skipped this feature if the electricals supported it ? Glad you found out the solution.

Many thanks for sharing. I too am studying upon installing cruise control on my Uncle's Brezza ZDi AMT. Though it will be complex, It would help my uncle a lot since he goes on frequent Long drives.

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 16th July 2022 at 09:58.
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed steps in getting this done, this similar process is used till date in installing steering mounted controls by Karol Bagh shops till date, glad to know they are doing it right, namely installing the controls, replacing the coil to newer one with more pins or something (MGP), taking out extra wires using pins to the audio system and assembling all that.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job, thanks for sharing!

It is interesting that all the components for the cruise control are already installed, except the buttons. It’s a bit more than just some wiring. There are several (micro) switches on the brake and clutch pedal (if MT) and there needs to be some sort of actuator mechanism to control the throttle.

Just a word of caution for anybody doing this DIY: Make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting this job, in particular removing the air bag. Your car battery needs to be disconnected for at least 10-15 minutes before removing the air bag, or it might get triggered when you remove it!!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
......Although small suggestion from my side, better to use heat shrink tubes than electrical tapes as over time they get sticky and messy.
Fully agree. Heat shrink tubes would be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
.....It is interesting that all the components for the cruise control are already installed, except the buttons. It’s a bit more than just some wiring. There are several (micro) switches on the brake and clutch pedal (if MT) and there needs to be some sort of actuator mechanism to control the throttle.
Yes, except the switch/wiring, all the components needed for the cruise are already present. That baffles one more as and wonders why would manufacturers not remove those from non-cruise models and only remove the external control interface. Maybe the cost to remove internals would be more and more cost effective to keep them hidden and remove only the external interface.

Quote:
Just a word of caution for anybody doing this DIY: Make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting this job, in particular removing the air bag. Your car battery needs to be disconnected for at least 10-15 minutes before removing the air bag, or it might get triggered when you remove it!!
Yes, I asked the electrician about it and he just said -- "Don't worry, I know how to remove it without disconnecting battery wires". I was skeptical but had no choice but to trust him on that. However, I would say that better to remove battery before and then do this.
khan_sultan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 16:34   #14
BHPian

An Amazing DIY Job, Excellent Work!

Cruise control is a boon in Highways these days.

Installing cruise control in Suzuki and Hyundai cars are pretty easy IMO. In VAGs one have to perform all sorts of Gymnastics and Yoga to access the BCM and the ECU.
nithishsaba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 09:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post

Always wondered why Maruti had skipped this feature if the electricals supported it ? Glad you found out the solution.
Obviously so they can squeeze us for more money for the "higher variant".
ajilphilip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks