Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2024, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Designing a practical 2-car garage

I'm building a 2 car park at my home, which is 15'6" x 18'2". A picture attached.

Name:  Parking.png
Views: 237
Size:  55.0 KB

Constraints
  • It is not a big space and I may have to park the cars with facing the road and one facing the wall to ensure that the driver side door of the cars open to the same side, therefore reducing the buffer space needed.
  • While the car park is open from the front(the builder won't allow a shutter), it's closed from above.
  • The garage will house a Mahindra Thar and a slightly longer car (for practical purposes, let's a Kodiaq ).
  • There will be third car, a compact EV parked in the drive way and will not compete with the other two cars for the parking.
  • Rats, frogs and therefore reptiles may be present in the open spaces nearby so I cannot afford to have anything on the floor, nor have anything unclosed - everything will need to be neatly shuttered in, as far as the storage area goes, as the garage itself doesn't have a shutter.

Problem Statement
  • I'm bare-minimum DIY guy: Changing tires, cleaning my cars, extremely minor replacements of parts etc - that's as much as I do. I'm not an extreme DIY guy like some of you that do out and out overhauls of cars in your personal garages.
  • Garage will house a portable pressure washer ( the tap outlet will be hidden behind the garage, but not very far from it may be 3-4 feet away )
  • Will house a 2 piston, 3 tonne hydraulic jack, largely for the Mahindra Thar. I was considering a mini hydraulic lift for the cars, but friend and fellow tbhpian @soumobakshi knocked some sense into my head into getting the 2 piston hydraulic jack
  • Usual consumables and cleaning tools : dusters, wiping clothes, shampoo etc
  • The garage will also need to store a 3 pax camping equipment set ( tent, boots, inflatable mattresses, leech socks blah blah )
  • Will house some electricals : a wall mounted car charging point, some electrical panels (main electricity board, elevator panels etc)
  • The garage will need to house a set of 5 MT tires for the thar ( let's assume the bigger sizes), they will be stored mounted ( as in the encircled stack approach ). The idea here is to build a heavy steel frame that will bear the wait of the 5 tyres + alloys and then be covered in a wooden frame with the steel frame bearing the weight.
Designing a practical 2-car garage-tire.png

A cursory setup might look like this
Designing a practical 2-car garage-layout.png

The actual space as it looks today:
Designing a practical 2-car garage-space.jpg

Questions
  • Is it a good idea to mount heavy stuff such as the jack, spare tyres on the wall, irrespective of how strong the supporting frame is going to be? I'm a little finicky about putting anything on the ground as it will start housing rats, insects etc.
  • What are your thoughts around the tire storage area, which is tallish vertical part of the left of the storage cabinets? I will perhaps need to retrieve them only standing on a ladder.
  • Any other important things that you would like to suggest that I'm not considering today but might miss or find inconvenient later?
  • What other tools/tooling do you think that the garage should house?

Thanks for your time and inputs!

Last edited by airguitar : 16th March 2024 at 13:13.
airguitar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 20:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Designing a practical 2-car garage

Damn cool! Just my 2 cents. Can you excavate the ground and dig below and have something like a ramp down? You can use that space for checking the underbody as well as changing oil. Please spend on good quality organising furniture. Have a look at Rhino Ramps. Stack storage vertically and have a staircase attached to the ceiling so that you can effortlessly move side ways. Also, if you can find that one video of Scotty Kilmer, he installed probably the best garage flooring I have seen till date. GET THAT! I don't know how expensive was that but well worth it. Or get something similar to that. Will write in whenever I get more ideas.
coolmel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks