Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 07:23   #1
BHPian

Gypsy hard top removal a DIY?

A search brought up no hits, so please help.

Folks, just picked up a 93 gypsy with 70k KMs on the clock. Its a real piece of **** this car, drinks a quart of oil every 200 KMs and rides like one too. But its got character and I intend to piddle around with it for a while.

Now, its got a hard top which is in very good condition, but this tiny 1.0L motor cannot haul all the bulk. So I intend to strip it down and turn it into a pick up truck - hard top, back seats will be removed and a bed cover will be fabricated. Just curious if the hard top can be removed at home or is it welded to the frame? Poked around and found some bolts on the top and sides near the front passenger cabin but nothing else. The inside roof is carpeted so I cant explore more without ripping out some carpeting.

Please advice, thanks.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

It can be removed but you would need the help of at least one other person. If it a factory fitted top it should not take you more than 20 minutes to remove it. Spray some wd40 on all the bolts before you start.
The hard top is not very heavy anyway and you probably will not notice any difference. However the looks would dramatically change!

Last edited by jyobeb : 12th November 2007 at 09:15.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:19   #3
BHPian

The original factory fitted hard top is made of fibre. It is screwed at various points to the body - over the windshield, the doors, B pillar & along the bed. Also be careful when removing the rear door the fitting is a bit tricky.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

brilliant choice that you went in for the gypsy, like you said the car has got character. you are going to make it to a soft top, thats good. just out of cusiosity how much did you pay for your 93 gypsy?
Old 12th November 2007, 11:10   #5
BHPian

Thank you jyobeb and emonie. Its good to know it can be done at home, I was afraid it was some sort of weld job that had to be cut apart.

Can you provide any direction on where to look for the bolts? I would like to leave the fiber over the driver/passenger cabin intact and remove the rest. I see bolts at the top and to the side, but nothing along the bed wall or at the back. I am removing the back seat and the pair of kid seats also, and they seem pretty straightforward. Thanks for your insight.

I paid 105 for the 93 Gypsy and spent about 15k getting it back in good mechanical shape.
Old 13th November 2007, 05:57   #6
Ali
BHPian

You paid 105 for a 93 gypsy.If im not wrong its 1,05,000.Well i guess its way too much.A friend of mind sold his gyppy 95 model with Alloys and 75k on the Odo for 70,000.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:46   #7
BHPian

I look at mine & send you the exact locations of the screws.

The back seat bolts may be rusted solid though. You may have to cut them with a gas cutter.
Old 13th November 2007, 13:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ali, I'm sure it must be a typo. What he would have meant was 10.5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
You paid 105 for a 93 gypsy.If im not wrong its 1,05,000.Well i guess its way too much.A friend of mind sold his gyppy 95 model with Alloys and 75k on the Odo for 70,000.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy pickup modification is common in the rally world. Some readymade kits should be already available and save you the headache of re-inventing the wheel.
Old 29th November 2007, 20:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a MPFI King, and it had hard top. I got it removed under 30 minutes. no welding is present between the body and the hard top. Just remove the bolts and you are through.

The bolts are all along the side where the body and hard top meet. If you see the image posted above, you would see the bolt points protiding all along the edge. these are the bolts to be removed.

I must say that the whole look of the Gypsy changes once you remove the hard top and make it either open/half cabin.

I would suggest that you DO NOT keep the old half cabin roof, as it is of sloping type and would not look good.. however, your choice -- just my 2 cents.
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Hard Top Gypsy options

I am looking to get a hardtop for my 2007 Gypsy King ST.

I need a openable hatch on the roof over the drivers cabin. Can the std fibre hard top be cut and modded to fit a lid-type hatch on the roof? There seem to be conflicting opinions on this.

The other alternative is to build a custom hard top using sheet metal.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:30   #12
BHPian

keep an impact driver handy while removing the sloping piece.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

xxaarraa,

Congrats! You can unscrew all the bolts and nuts by yourselves. But you would need somebody's assistance to remove the hardtop.

Dwarak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks