Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:45   #1
BHPian

DIY Car Dent Removal Total Cost Rs.12

Hi Mates

Good News to all.

This morning when I was at MG road, some idiot sat on the bonnet of my swift and created a dent, it was approximately 6 inch wide and 4 inch high.

I immediately took it to the garage to get it fixed; they gave an estimate of 1500 as it was on the front curve portion of the car and to remove it they would need to cut the inner plate of the bonnet and re-weld back.

I never wanted to cut or repaint my car as it would loose the originality. I was searching the net for lot of diy stuff. some said Dry ICE some said hair dryer. but nothing looked practical.

I a my colleague were having coffee this evening when we came across a Vacuum glass hanger which was fixed to the glass and can hold good amount of weight. We thought of using the same for removing dents.

We purchased one vacuumed lock glass hanger for 12/- and cleaned the portion of dent with wet and dry cloth to create a clean surface. Pressed the hanger to the corner of the dent and tightened the screw (Hanger handle), amazingly the dent has come out with out effort.

We repeated the process and could only find one small dent in the center, repeated the same but had the pull the hanger as it was the center of the dent.

Now my car bonnet is dent less, scratch less, I could not take any pics as this was under curiosity that we tried and it worked out.

All you mates’ out there with dents. hope this trick workscheers:

LOL

Naidu

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2008 at 20:31. Reason: See Note in Post
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:06   #2
BHPian

Where can we buy this hanger?I have a swift too.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:07   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitz View Post

All you mates’ out there with dents... hope this trick workscheers:

LOL

Naidu
Thanks Mr Naidu for the tip. It would be great if you can mention where you purchased this "gadget"
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

great work dude .. pics would have been helpful, at least post the glass handle.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:10   #5
BHPian

Re: where can i get it

Any local stationary or fancy store, you know this item but i hope u cannot recognise here is the picture of the hanger

it costs just 12/-

get rid of the dents mate... any help I am always there to guide as now I am experienced.....

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2008 at 20:28. Reason: see note in post
reitz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful. So, one more addition in place of dry ice.

Vallavanukku pullum aaudam
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:22   #7
BHPian

http://www.4er.com/aski_v1.jpg
this is the link to vacumme glass holder, most of us have it in our house
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitz View Post
Hi Mates

Good News to all.....

This morning when I was at MG road, some idiot sat on the bonnet of my swift and created a dent, it was approximately 6 inch wide and 4 inch high.

I immediately took it to the garage to get it fixed; they gave an estimate of 1500 as it was on the front curve portion of the car and to remove it they would need to cut the inner plate of the bonnet and re-weld back.

I never wanted to cut or repaint my car as it would loose the originality. I was searching the net for lot of diy stuff... some said Dry ICE some said hair dryer... but nothing looked practical.

I a my colleague were having coffee this evening when we came across a Vacuum glass hanger which was fixed to the glass and can hold good amount of weight. We thought of using the same for removing dents.

We purchased one vacuumed lock glass hanger for 12/- and cleaned the portion of dent with wet and dry cloth to create a clean surface. Pressed the hanger to the corner of the dent and tightened the screw (Hanger handle), amazingly the dent has come out with out effort.

We repeated the process and could only find one small dent in the center, repeated the same but had the pull the hanger as it was the center of the dent.

Now my car bonnet is dent less, scratch less, I could not take any pics as this was under curiosity that we tried and it worked out.

All you mates’ out there with dents... hope this trick workscheers:

LOL

Naidu
12/- bucks..?? That cheap for that vaccum..??? I thought it comes with a center handle and vaccum cups on either side.
But this is an awesome idea. I have something similar to what your talking about on m swift bonnet. Shall proceed with caution,
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pictures please.

Thats a pretty cheap alternative.

Please share more info about it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Do you think this will work with dent's having centre creases or just concave dents?
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:55   #11
BHPian

Hi Mates

Sent was not on the flat surface of the bonnet, it was on the upper lip, the concave side. find below with illustrative picture of where the dent was actually present.

When I can get rid of dent at this concave place, I think this trick works perfectly fine on any are of the car, apart from pillars.

DIY Car Dent Removal Total Cost Rs.12-dent.jpg

Also what i ment by Vaccum hanger is not something out of the world or something very technical, its the simple glass stickon hanger we use in our homes to hang calenders and is available in general or fancy store. I got it from a fancy store for 12/-

DIY Car Dent Removal Total Cost Rs.12-aski_v1.jpg

Also there are such hangers of bigger size if you want to try them on large dents.....

Happy Dent Fixing Mates......

LOL
Naidu
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Do you think this will work with dent's having centre creases or just concave dents?
Dear Deky

I dont know, try and see this aint any costly... it it works share the information with other mates it will help us all.....

if it doesnt then also share the info we will try another methods.....

by the way post your dent pic's most of our team-bhpians are out there to help you out with new ideas......

Cheers
Naidu
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

it got a dent with just a man sitting on it??
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
it got a dent with just a man sitting on it??
I think its usual right? In most cars, if you press hard on the boot, it goes in. So, a man sitting on that, yes its understood.
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice method. Got to try this on my car..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks