Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wolffe excellent workmanship and a nice soothing finish too. What about the door panels , do you intend to do them sometime soon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Brilliant My friend! But as there was no primer, do you feel the paint will hold without chipping off due to heat and temperature?

Not to demotivate you with this question, but want to know what you feel. This will help others, including me, if we decide to give it a try
Shreyas he has mentioned it already " Didn't spray primer as most of the panels were of the grained texture-so paint stuck well to it. "

But honestly I dunno if it would stay for long without a base coat of primer. Only time will tell and once again a wonderful job.

Benny some bling in life is good. You have those disco lights in your car and we never complained .
Old 30th September 2009, 20:14   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Superb finish! Man, are you are proffesional painter? kidding! Hats off to the workmanship and the effort man! Makes me want to get my lazy *** off this chair and do something similar with my santro.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ Wolffe: Good DIY job. You seem to have really steady hands.

Could understand about spray paint on panels, but how did you paint leather covering below gear lever? Does paint stick on leather?
Old 30th September 2009, 20:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Once painted it will have to remain painted forever, i mean it cannot be removed of the plastic parts.
If done properly it will stay but issue comes up when it gets scratched or if panels have to be removed due any maintenance requiement. the service center guys handle it badly and it gets chipped off. a repaint starts to show up.

spray cans get job done fast but not recommended for large parts.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:25   #20
BHPian

splendid job there mate!

am a kind of DIY guy too so i aprreciate your effort.. looking forward to you painting the door panels.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:35   #21
BHPian

hey thats a really neat finish. great imagination
Old 1st October 2009, 01:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice work Wolffe.I'm not a huge fan of ren n black interiors, but, It goes well with the seat covers. Are you planning to repaint the dash in the future?

Also, while repainting the doorpads, what will you do to the fabric on the doors? They are beige too right?
Old 1st October 2009, 12:17   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the support

Hi,
Am very surprised and pleased at the comments on my DIY-this motivates me to do more on the car.

SprayPaint used is "Win Paint" available at Sreelalshmi Traders (45A Srinivasa Reddy St-near Hotel Aruna,T Nagar).They have primers,flourescent colors,and heat resistant paints too. Have also used Com-Paint for my previous DIY.

The top part of the doorpads are already black-so the rest will be painted black and the beige upholstery changed to red.Will probably get the upholstery done by an upholsterer.

Glove box,panel below steering will be black.The 2 end side panels on the dash will be red.This is how I imagined it,can always repaint red/black and vice versa if needed.

The paint stuck quite well on the grained surfaces-smooth surfaces will have to primed(next time).Only time and use will tell if the paint sticks on.

The red/black gear lever cover was part of a kit.The parking brake lever cover is still stock-no painting.

Hope I answered most queries-thanks again for the encouragement.

PS:I get most of my inspiration from my dad-he's done DIY stuff with his scooters and cars even before I was born.Proud to say that some of his talent has rubbed off him to me.I still remember him painstakingly use the thinnest paintbush and white paint to write on the lettering on his Lamby's MRF tyres-No "Tyre Pen" those days!

Last edited by Wolffe : 1st October 2009 at 12:25.
Wolffe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 18:20   #24
BHPian

Dashboard blacked out now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Looks great. Time to do the dashboard

Dismantled the glove box,the plastic bit under the steering and the 2 ends of the dash-all these were beige when stock. Re-painted them black and re-fitted them today.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Fiesta Centre Console painting-drivers-side.jpg  

DIY - Fiesta Centre Console painting-passenger-side.jpg  

DIY - Fiesta Centre Console painting-dash-when-stock.jpg  

Old 14th October 2009, 20:05   #25
BHPian

Picture complete! It looks much better now with all the beige blackened. IMO instead of red, silver would have looked killer provided your seat very black too. All in all a very good DIY job. Keep it Up!
Old 15th October 2009, 11:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Picture complete! It looks much better now with all the beige blackened. IMO instead of red, silver would have looked killer provided your seat very black too. All in all a very good DIY job. Keep it Up!
Thanks Ripper.Was contemplating on painting the doorpads black and red too.Wondering now if it might become too garish.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DIY work.
fit and finish also looks stunning (though black and red seems not matching - ofcourse it is my opinion only).
Presume, soon people will come to you for similar modification work - joking.
Cheers
Old 15th October 2009, 16:56   #28
BHPian

Excellent DIY job my friend.... this will inspire many fellow BHPIANs to follow the suit...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks