Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 15:19   #1

Swift Vxi -petrol Oil Change Diy Required

I have a Suzuki Swift VXI petrol which has done 33,000 KM. The oil change was done at 31,000 KM last time but now the oil looks very dark in color ( This is standard mineral oil) . Dont know if the service centre actually changed the oil or just topped up although i was charged for 3.5 Litres. Please can you provide a step by step oil change procedure with pictures if possible. Also which is the good make of Engine Flush which can be used for this car.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oil change in cars is a simple DIY with the correct set of tools.
But, I wouldn't suggest it since it costs just 75-100 bucks of labour at an independent garage.
For starters, as a DIY, Purchase the oil and filter yourself.
I recommend a bosch oil filter.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

You will need special tool for oil filter apart from the spanner for drain plug. I would go with what Nitrous said, goto any local shop and get it done instead.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
but now the oil looks very dark in color ( This is standard mineral oil) .
Don't worry about it. The darkness of oil is not a way to gauge whether the car needs an oil change or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
But, I wouldn't suggest it since it costs just 75-100 bucks of labour at an independent garage.
+1 to that! Labour is cheap in India, use it to your advantage.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:50   #5
BANNED

Re: Swift Vxi -petrol Oil Change Diy Required

I want to know what's the procedure for topping up oil in a Swift VXI Petrol/CNG car?

Yesterday - I was idling my car a little away from the parking spot & then drove. Someone else pointed out that there was oil under my car on the road.

I opened my front & checked - and the engine oil dipstick cover was loose - i.e. wasn't all the way in. So I was wondering if it may have spilled from there. Also, the dipstick showed that the level was below minimum. It's been almost 9000 kms since my last service & I am planning to take it to service next month.

If I want to top up the oil - what's the procedure to do this? Is it easy? I am not up to complicated stuff - and I have an early morning drive (30 kms in morning and 30 kms back) - so I may not be able to take the car to a mechanic before that? Should I try topping up myself or not use the car till I am able to get it to a mechanic - the car isn't showing any other symptoms?

Also, my last service was done at Carnation - I asked them what oil they use so that I can top with the same - they couldn't find it in my records - but they said they normally use Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ.

So by chance if their info is wrong - would it be if I topped with "Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ" and the actual oil originally there in the car was something else?

Last edited by carboy : 30th May 2013 at 15:52.
Old 30th May 2013, 16:23   #6
BHPian

Hi,
I suggest same as GTO. Go to a good independent workshop & get the oil change in front of you. Carry your own oil & filter. Labour should't be more than Rs. 250.00. Its not worth doing DIY.
Old 30th May 2013, 16:26   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitl View Post
Hi,
I suggest same as GTO. Go to a good independent workshop & get the oil change in front of you. Carry your own oil & filter. Labour should't be more than Rs. 250.00. Its not worth doing DIY.
I don't want an oil change. I just want a top-up - may be half a litre. Nor do I want to change the filter.
Old 30th May 2013, 16:38   #8
BHPian

Open the hood. You will see a black oil cap on the tappet cover. Open it & pour oil quantity what ever is required. You can check oil level by pulling out the oil dip stick( yellow colour ) It has min & max markings on it. Use oil grade specified by Maruti.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I just want a top-up - may be half a litre.
Though its possible your oil leaked through loose dipstick hole it may be better to check if you are having any oil leak after you do a top up. May be after a week or so by dip stick method, also do notice if any other signs of oil leak (more smoke) is noticied.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:48   #10
BANNED

I had a few more question in my original post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3135716

- What happens if the oil used in the top up is not the same as the one originally used?
- Can I drive the car for a day or two before topping up (maybe 50-60 kms over the day) or should I take an auto?

Last edited by carboy : 30th May 2013 at 18:51.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
- What happens if the oil used in the top up is not the same as the one originally used?
Since your service centre says they use "Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ", get a small can of the same oil, to avoid issue with different oil being used for topup/

Quote:
- Can I drive the car for a day or two before topping up (maybe 50-60 kms over the day) or should I take an auto?
You mentioned oil was low when you checked with dipstick. How low ? There is usually a range (hi and lo) marked on the dipstick. Does it atleast come near the low mark ? If so, you should be OK for a day or two. But if the level does not even register on the dipstick, it is possibly too low and better to avoid using the car till you top up.
Top-up is a very simple DIY.
Old 31st May 2013, 18:14   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Since your service centre says they use "Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ", get a small can of the same oil, to avoid issue with different oil being used for topup/

You mentioned oil was low when you checked with dipstick. How low ? There is usually a range (hi and lo) marked on the dipstick. Does it atleast come near the low mark ? If so, you should be OK for a day or two. But if the level does not even register on the dipstick, it is possibly too low and better to avoid using the car till you top up.
I just saw few spots at the bottom of the dip stick - will try again today.
Can I atleast drive it one km to the mechanic before topping up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Top-up is a very simple DIY.
When I open my bonnet, I see a black cap with "engine oil" written on it - I assume I just need to open that cap and pour the oil in it - is 1/2 a litre enough?
Old 31st May 2013, 19:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check oil with car parked on a level surface. Driving 1km to the mechanic should not be an issue. However, since you already identified the inlet to pour engine oil (the black cap), just pour 1/2 litre through it and then check level again with the dipstick. Wipe dipstick clean before each check.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 13:08   #14
BANNED

I checked the level again yesterday evening - it was below the minimum. So I bought one litre of Mobil Super 10W-30 SJ and emptied it into the engine oil inlet today morning. This bought the level upto halfway between high & low level in the dipstick (checked 15 minutes after pouring it). Took in to CarKraft Maruti A S S and they said the oil filter ring has broken or something. I think they changed the oil filter. Total cost was Rs. 160. I have just come back from the service center & parked the car. Will check the oil level again in the evening.

So my question now is - My next oil change is due in 1500 kms. Do I need to top up the oil again now if the oil level is between high and low level of the dipstick. What exactly does this level mean - how many litres are there in the car. During oil Change, the service center fills 3.3 litres.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My next oil change is due in 1500 kms. Do I need to top up the oil again now if the oil level is between high and low level of the dipstick.
If the oil level stays between the hi & low level of the dipstick, you are OK and don't need to do anything. Now that they changed the leaky oil-filter, the level should not go down. So you can continue driving till next oil change.

Quote:
What exactly does this level mean - how many litres are there in the car. During oil Change, the service center fills 3.3 litres.
The exact quantity for your car would be mentioned in the last few pages of the manual. Should be around ~3 litres.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks