Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 16:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel Injectors Cleaning - DIY

Folks,

Cleaned fuel injectors first time in 52000 kms in Maruti Versa as under(two people are required):
  1. Allow engine to cool for 30 minutes(just to ensue that when you open fuel rail,the petrol spill on the engine surface should not cause a surprise)
  2. Disconnect battery -ve
  3. Loosen fuel Tank filler cap to relieve pressure
  4. Disconnect fuel supply,return and vapour filter hoses on fuel rail
  5. Disconnect wiring sockets to all injectors
  6. Remove two bolts connecting fuel rail to engine top
  7. Carefully remove rail with injectors
  8. Mark injectors as 1,2,3,4
  9. Remove injector top O-rings and bottom caps(to prevent damage to them)
  10. Connect one end of a high pressure hose to injector and the other end to a small pump(resembles a simple hand pump)
  11. Connect a battery with a wiring harness(with a bell switch on either +ve or -ve) to the injector
  12. Clamp both ends of hose
  13. Fill petrol in the pump and pressurise to 5 kg/cm2
  14. Keep the pressure on and press the bell switch for 2 seconds to actuate the injector solenoid
  15. Repeat Step 14 till you see a clear spray through all four holes in the injector
  16. Repeat for other three injectors
  17. Repeat steps 10,11,12,14 with compressed air at 5kg/cm2
  18. Re-install o-rings and caps in injectors
  19. Re-fit injectors in the rail just taking care to put the injectors back in their original position - no.1 in slot 1 and so on.
  20. Connect sockets,hoses (just reversing the process of removal)
  21. Reconnect battery-ve on car
  22. Turn on ignition to start fuel pump
  23. Check system for leaks
  24. Start engine and check for leaks for 2 minutes
In my case,I observed the injectors' surface clean when they were removed but found two holes partly clogged in injectors 1,2,3 during step 14,15. Injector 4 was tops but was cleaned,nevertheless.

The car rides much better after the job ; minor jerks that were evident when moving the car from stop in second gear(eg. after speed breakers) have all disappeared.

I don't know how crude this method is but in the end,it was worth the effort.

A few queries:
  1. How are injectors otherwise cleaned at workshops?
  2. Are higher pressures applied?
  3. What fuel/chemical is used?
  4. Can injectors be backflushed(I believe this will work better)?

Last edited by vigsom : 24th December 2009 at 16:49. Reason: fine tuning the procedure
Old 24th December 2009, 22:01   #2
BHPian

Got any pics of the procedure?
Old 25th December 2009, 10:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry,I was so involved in the thing that I didn't take pics

Just to add , this was the first time in 6 years that this job was done.Some more observations:

1.injector terminals were observed clean
2.injector inlet and outlet had no residue
3.fuel filter was also checked - absolutely clean

I go to the most reliable BP petrol station in Surat and do that when the fuel gauge shows 1/4 - tank up to 3/4 which is approx 17 liters every fill

In case any of you have pics of your injectors before cleaning,please post; they can serve as references

Last edited by vigsom : 25th December 2009 at 10:42. Reason: additions
Old 25th December 2009, 10:53   #4
BHPian

Great DIY dude. I would'nt have dared to do it at home.
I guess it is really not required for marking the injectors before removing, as they are interchangable. Please throw some light.

As a line of warning, please do not attempt this on CRDI vehicles if one is not aware of how to relieve the pressurized fuel in the pumpback to the fuel tank. The pumps in petrol cars pressurize the fuel till 3 bar, where as the CRDI pump pressurizes till 1800 bar. Even a small leak while remooving the pipings could release diesel at such high pressure that can cut the skin. Not to scare you guys, just a note to avoid any accidents.

-Ilango
Old 25th December 2009, 11:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Great DIY dude. I would'nt have dared to do it at home.
I guess it is really not required for marking the injectors before removing, as they are interchangable. Please throw some light.
Thanks Ilango ; it was a daring attempt especailly because it involved one of the most critical components - injectors.It was done at a close friend's garage and all risks were evaluated and a sequence worked out before we went about the task.

Yes it is not necessary to mark injectors as they are interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
The pumps in petrol cars pressurize the fuel till 3 bar, where as the CRDI pump pressurizes till 1800 bar. could release diesel at such high pressure that can cut the skin. Not to scare you guys, just a note to avoid any accidents.
-Ilango
yes,the petrol rail sees pressures in the range of 3 bar so risks are less - the fuel Tank lid was kept loose so that even Tank back pressure should not cause spills

1800 bar is some pressure - enough to cause severe injury

I have seen hydrojetting machines which can generate water pressure of 20000 psi(approx 1500 bar ) and have also seen serious incidents in hydrojetting - so definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this DIY on CRDIs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks