Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 17:01   #1
BHPian

DIY SOS: Extra coffee cup holder in the Ritz

Hello!

Just booked a new ritz and the only thing thats irritating me is the lack of coffee cup holders in it. Really could do with some creative ideas for the placements since coffee is quite important too.

My Ideas so far:

1. The obvious one is to vertically add an extension to the existing cup holder to make place for two small cups, sitting horizontally next to each other. Essentially like a modified ashtray that they provide in the zxi.

2. Add a velcro-on cup holder on the passenger side - to the left of the water fall console.

3. Add a cup holder shelf in the glove box for the passenger that folds out - like in the ikon.

Please help!!
akshay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2011, 18:07   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY SOS: Extra coffee cup holder in the Ritz

Saw something like this at an accessory shop. But that's only if you dont have OEM/2-DIN HU.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY SOS: Extra coffee cup holder in the Ritz-cup-holder.jpg  

Old 17th February 2011, 19:05   #3
BHPian

There are cup holders that clip on the vent but i guess Cold Coffee is not the preferred beverage :-)

Check this link out if you want to go DIY , Make a template out of wood / plywood and fixya

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Accessories/cupholders.htm
Old 17th February 2011, 19:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you get the cup holders that can be attached to the door? They are easily available and sturdy only drawback is that you need to be careful when you open the door. But if you dont mind putting a small screw in your new dash they can be fixed at a convenient location on your dash as well. Check out my garage for a picture of the same attached to my Indigo Marina console.
Old 17th February 2011, 21:23   #5
BHPian

Hey I saw pictures of your marina in your garage, but sorry to say I couldn't found any with the cup holder. correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Pradip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Why dont you get the cup holders that can be attached to the door? They are easily available and sturdy only drawback is that you need to be careful when you open the door. But if you dont mind putting a small screw in your new dash they can be fixed at a convenient location on your dash as well. Check out my garage for a picture of the same attached to my Indigo Marina console.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...a-dsc03941.jpg

My Bad, sorry, please see this picture. This is my centre console out of the place for some fitment. You can see the cup holder fixed on the slants. The bottom has been taped to prevent it from skiding along the surface of the console when cup/bottle is put in it. I have used this extensively for about 2 years and on various long drives.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Hey thanks. May be little off topic, but can you please let me know what's there behind those "grill" kind of place on the console where you have fixed the cup holder? Since I have considered Indigo CS as one of candidate for my near future purchase, I saw it while taking test drive and am surprised.

Thanks.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

You also get cup holders, flip down ones, at reliance autozone or similar shops. They look quite sturdy and come in different sizes and can be clamped on to the ac vents or glued on to the dash or place where it is convenient to you. Try this before going DIY
Old 18th February 2011, 14:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

why drill?
get one of those window suction mounts.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
get one of those window suction mounts.
I am wondering why would someone risk mounting a cup holder, which may hold a hot cup of coffee, that is a suction type. I would personally avoid suction type mounts that may fall of at an unexpected time. The Window suction mount will work on very smooth surfaces that can create that suction effect. On rough surfaces there are enough chances for air to escape or enter to void the effect. Atleast that is my personal thought. I would avoid suction mount cup holders. Its not the best solution in the longer run.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am wondering why would someone risk mounting a cup holder, which may hold a hot cup of coffee, that is a suction type. I would personally avoid suction type mounts that may fall of at an unexpected time. The Window suction mount will work on very smooth surfaces that can create that suction effect. On rough surfaces there are enough chances for air to escape or enter to void the effect. Atleast that is my personal thought. I would avoid suction mount cup holders. Its not the best solution in the longer run.
dont buy those cheapo ones, from DX or so, at least for coffee.
and dont put on film-ed windows/windscreen.
doesnt come off, in my experience over 2 years(albeit, not with a hot cup of coffee, but a similarly heavy gps unit.)
Old 19th February 2011, 10:25   #12
BHPian

thanks guys! I think i'll go and hunt in lajpat nagar accessory market for options before going DIY.

@mi2n: thanks! thats exactly what i need, i hope i find it soon..if not, then the clip on door options I guess will do well too.

Shopping I go...
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:41   #13
BHPian

Probably have a look at this in ebay
eBay India: Car Cup / Drink / Bottle Holder - Folding Style (item 180640694659 end time 24-Mar-2011 22:19:25 IST)

Although not a DIY stuff, probably it will match your needs .
Old 20th October 2011, 00:58   #14
BHPian

A pretty nice thread, albeit a bit old. I'm thinking of doing something for a coffee cup (actually cold drink can) holder for the driver's side in my Figo. Any ideas for something that can be attached to the right side of the steering, and under it? I'm talking about the place where there's the coin holder compartment.
Thanks!
Old 10th November 2011, 08:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
A pretty nice thread, albeit a bit old. I'm thinking of doing something for a coffee cup (actually cold drink can) holder for the driver's side in my Figo. Any ideas for something that can be attached to the right side of the steering, and under it? I'm talking about the place where there's the coin holder compartment.
Thanks!
The door has ample space. You can modify the space into a cup holder..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks