Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 11:24   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When road dividers crash into you for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
Hi All! I finally have some good news to share. I got the car back this morning. The final bill came to around 1.13L for parts and labor and the insurance covered 1.02L. So I had to fork out around 11.2K from my end for the consumables and parts not covered by insurance. I have attached the bill below and will be posting pictures and a review of the way the car now handles in a couple of days.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable advises shared. Looking forward to years of troublefree miles ahead!
Congrats budddy! That is really a good news to get the car back on road. So, do you feel any difference in the ride quality? Any rattles?
Also you have mentioned that this is a Zero depreciation policy but still some parts are not covered. What are those parts, can you please share?
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congrats budddy! That is really a good news to get the car back on road. So, do you feel any difference in the ride quality? Any rattles?
Also you have mentioned that this is a Zero depreciation policy but still some parts are not covered. What are those parts, can you please share?
Thanks Arun! Sorry had been busy with work the last couple of days. Absolutely no difference in ride quality. The car feels and drives just the way it used to.

I'll post the pics and more info today. Just waiting for the Mod to let me edit the OP.

Last edited by mukundz : 22nd August 2014 at 10:09.
mukundz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mukundz. All of us are feeling relieved now. I was putting myself in your shoes and feeling bad about the whole incident.

Wish you many happy miles on your car.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:19   #49
BHPian

It is great that there were no injuries and that your car is now almost fixed.
Looking at the pictures, it it correct that this incident occurred just before the flyover was ending and you were about to descend and merge on to the road? It appears that the road narrows a bit right there and that could have contributed to the accident to some extent. In the light of hindsight it might have been better to have waited a few seconds to overtake the truck until after you had merged on to the surface road if I am reading the pictures correctly. Of course it is easier to think of all these safety precautions after the fact and this was just a freak accident and the good thing is that there were no injuries to anyone. A final question: you stated that the truck you were overtaking fled. He wasn't at fault as far as I can tell. So why did he have to flee?
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
It is great that there were no injuries and that your car is now almost fixed.
Looking at the pictures, it it correct that this incident occurred just before the flyover was ending and you were about to descend and merge on to the road? It appears that the road narrows a bit right there and that could have contributed to the accident to some extent. In the light of hindsight it might have been better to have waited a few seconds to overtake the truck until after you had merged on to the surface road if I am reading the pictures correctly. Of course it is easier to think of all these safety precautions after the fact and this was just a freak accident and the good thing is that there were no injuries to anyone. A final question: you stated that the truck you were overtaking fled. He wasn't at fault as far as I can tell. So why did he have to flee?
Thanks Lobogris. It was a small Eicher truck (I guess the goods type). And to clarify I had completed over taking the truck a little earlier and I meant the truck was right behind me to my left. So I had overtaken that truck much earlier when the space was wide enough. I stayed at around 50kmph or so after over taking him and I guess since trucks have a tendency to speed on that flyover hence he was right behind me. I usually never overtake in narrow spaces since I love maintaining my car scratch free.

And I meant the truck on the other side that fled the scene(The container truck which dashed into the divider). The truck behind us managed to stop avoiding futher damage to the car.
mukundz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:56   #51
BHPian

A flyover with only three lanes has no business having concrete blocks of such widths as dividers, particularly loose. At most there should have been plastic bollards or yellow/red "cats' eyes" down the middle, in which case the 'one-and-half' lane markings should not be there. I am surprised at the stupidity of the construction/traffic engineers.

It is one thing that "mukudz" you got your car back, repaired at a price lower than originally feared. That, along with no injuries, are great reliefs. But have the authorities done something about those blocks ? If not, somebody should bring it to their attention or haul them to court with a PIL before some more serious accident takes place !

A two-wheeler rider in the same case would have been smashed to bits AND run over by the truck behind !
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
A flyover with only three lanes has no business having concrete blocks of such widths as dividers, particularly loose. At most there should have been plastic bollards or yellow/red "cats' eyes" down the middle, in which case the 'one-and-half' lane markings should not be there. I am surprised at the stupidity of the construction/traffic engineers.

It is one thing that "mukudz" you got your car back, repaired at a price lower than originally feared. That, along with no injuries, are great reliefs. But have the authorities done something about those blocks ? If not, somebody should bring it to their attention or haul them to court with a PIL before some more serious accident takes place !

A two-wheeler rider in the same case would have been smashed to bits AND run over by the truck behind !
True. To think of a two wheeler facing the same blocks could have really been disastrous. Unfortunately we don't have a system to sue these people for their laziness and incompetence yet!

About time we did!
Old 25th August 2014, 08:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

rjstyles69 spotted this on Saturday:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3513693
Old 25th August 2014, 10:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

The above picture is what me wonder first, when I read the OP.

How the hell did the container truck that made the dividers fly and hit the Figo,run away when a rugged TATA SE broke its axle at the exact same spot?
Looking at the pictures Mukundz posted on the first page, the dividers are all over the place which means even that was a heavy impact.

My guess is that container truck was an unloaded one and the one in the picture above looks like a loaded one.
Old 25th August 2014, 21:02   #55
BHPian

Possible ! Loaded (usually overloaded) trucks break their axles, leaf springs or centre bolts very easily.

But intensity, angle, age of truck and its component parts also matter.

Difficult to say without proper forensic tests !
Old 25th August 2014, 21:50   #56
BHPian

Nagavara Flyover. That location gives me headaches everytime I think of it. That's the worst part in my entire commute. Both in terms of traffic and in terms of risk. I commute on a motorbike. I can only imagine what would have happened if this incident had happened to a two wheeler rider.
Anyway, relieved that you're doing fine and now that your car is also doing fine. Do consider getting a dashcam
Old 26th August 2014, 03:47   #57
BHPian

Good to know that you got your car in good condition mukundz.
I make this trip from Whitefield to Hebbal once a week and I always shudder when I think of the flyover and what builds up to it. Everyone is jostling for space and try to push each other out to be the first one on and off the fly-over. I was also stuck once because of a similar incident when the concrete blocks were all-over the road because of a truck crashing into them.
I really don't know when the flyover will be completely fixed. Till then, its a circus.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mod note - Thread moved back to the Assembly Line section as requested. Henceforth please ensure that your thread is complete in all aspects before you request us to take it to the public forum.
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Hey Arun. I have shared the pdf files for the final claim on the OP. Also regarding the parts that are not covered:

Consumables 100% paid by Customer. Ex:- Coolant, nuts, bolts, screws,
engine oil, drive belts, spark plugs, rivets, washers, power stg oil, clips,
brake pads, clutch plates, bearings, bulbs, wires, fuses, straps, jumper &
wiring sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The above picture is what me wonder first, when I read the OP.

How the hell did the container truck that made the dividers fly and hit the Figo,run away when a rugged TATA SE broke its axle at the exact same spot?
Looking at the pictures Mukundz posted on the first page, the dividers are all over the place which means even that was a heavy impact.

My guess is that container truck was an unloaded one and the one in the picture above looks like a loaded one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Possible ! Loaded (usually overloaded) trucks break their axles, leaf springs or centre bolts very easily.

But intensity, angle, age of truck and its component parts also matter.

Difficult to say without proper forensic tests !
I'm still trying to understand that physics behind that too! But recalling the amount of dust and debris that clouded our path I'm sure it he was over speeding and also probably fell asleep at the wheel.

I'm still wondering if he had some damage and just fled to avoid confronting us and probably stopped somewhere a few blocks away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Good to know that you got your car in good condition mukundz.
I make this trip from Whitefield to Hebbal once a week and I always shudder when I think of the flyover and what builds up to it. Everyone is jostling for space and try to push each other out to be the first one on and off the fly-over. I was also stuck once because of a similar incident when the concrete blocks were all-over the road because of a truck crashing into them.
I really don't know when the flyover will be completely fixed. Till then, its a circus.
Thanks aneezan. I have updated the pics on the OP with the "new" Figo

I've started avoiding going over the flyover nowadays and I take the road going under it. Its a lot more peaceful. Also regarding the dash cam, any specific ones you suggest? I'm particular that it shouldn't look bulky and out of place. Searching through amazon.com for something.

Last edited by mukundz : 3rd September 2014 at 17:20. Reason: Additional quote
Old 12th September 2014, 21:55   #60
BHPian

I saw this early morning today on the way to my office. This truck had rammed through the 'divider' and had gone to the other side. Fortunately I did not see any damaged cars.

When road dividers crash into you for a change!-img_20140912_0627004371.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks