Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 18:01   #226
BHPian

For windshield

I picked up a bottle of "Astonish Car Care" All Weather Screen Wash. It turned out to be an excellent product. 750 ml costs around Rs. 120. Check the shelves of supermarkets. Manufactured in UK by London Oil Refining Company Ltd, one part of this liquid can be used up to 10 parts water to get a non-smear, non-streak windshield. I even noticed that rain water just beads after I clean the windshield with this. I highly recommend this during monsoon.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:49   #227
KK396

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
I need a clarification for using wipers. During rain we have frost on the inside of the windshield so we switch on the AC to remove that frost so as to balance the temperature. But after some time the frost starts setting up on the outside. Now do I need to continuously keep on starting or shutting the AC to maintain the temperature or is there a way out?
Use the fresh air mode on the a/c instead of recycle mode and see if it makes a difference.

Old 14th July 2010, 13:08   #228
BHPian

Cleaning the outside frost is easy. :-)

Just use your wiper once or twice.

Murthy
Old 14th July 2010, 21:59   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK396 View Post
Use the fresh air mode on the a/c instead of recycle mode and see if it makes a difference.
It made a lot of difference. I was driving my i10 for dropping a friend of mine. All the four side glasses and front got mist during my onward journey and did not know how to make it clean. Then while returning, put it into fresh air mode and alas all the glass were spotless and clear.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:54   #230
Senior - BHPian

It is raining in Chennai since 23rd June. Some times heavy and some times light. Of course rain is good and give us happiness, But it is horrible to drive in the subways and in the muddy roads.
Old 12th August 2010, 23:25   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
A suggestion for vehicles with AT will be to apply the accelerator along with slight application of the brakes. In this manner you will have to rev the vehicle higher in order to move forward; thus keeping the water from entering the exhaust pipes.

This method of course would eat up your brakes so as far as possible stay away from those flooded areas.
Moreso than eating up the brakes, this is very harsh on automatic transmission fluid. This method is called 'torque-braking' and is used for drag racing here in the US to get a better launch.

The fluid can reach temperatures almost twice what it was designed for. And because the fluid in an automatic transmission is what makes the transmission work, bad fluid will cause problems like slippage as well as transmission component damage.

If you do have to use this technique for any extended time period (more than five minutes), I highly recommend having the fluid inspected or replaced. And when replacing the fluid, if a performance counterpart from Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple is available and compatible, I highly recommend changing to these even though they are 2-3 times as expensive. I've used them for extended intervals, even with abuse, and they stand up to the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
In the event you face such a situation, just try your SUN GLASSES (any model will do), and miracle! All of a sudden, your visibility in front of your windscreen is perfectly clear, as if there is no rain.
Let me know if its B$, or if it works.
I can see this working if the sunglasses are polarized, but not working otherwise.
Old 21st March 2011, 10:49   #232
Senior - BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Just recently came across this article:
'First-ever' permanent anti-fog coating developed

The article mentions that it is an anti-fog coating. Will this cure misting up of the windscreen during rains? I think it will, since the concept is same, i.e. condensation.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:12   #233

This is not exactly about driving car in rains.

Recently my father went somewhere where they don't need cars or any vehicles . I neither want to sell off his car nor drive it for next 3-4 months. The parking slot for the car in our building is at corner. So there is a roof but two sides are are open and heavy rain can wet the car.

What are tips to take care of the car? Should I put the car cover on or leave it open?

Its 1 year old Hyundai.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:16   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Safety on the Road:
• The safest place to be is in the middle lane. Why? Crowned roads will have water settle on either side. Plus, you will notice puddle formation in the right lanes, while the left will always have people joining the road or exiting.
I guess so. Or even the left lane where the water does not get logged.

Once, on Tumkoor Bengaluru highway, I was driving on the right lane cause the left lane was full of very slow moving lorries.
There was a right banked corner and there was water logged on the right lane because of the banking.
My car aquaplaned severely and for a moment we were floating on water.
It turned towards the divider upto some degree. But thankfully was able to get the car back in control immediately.

Not sure to this day how to avoid such conditions. It was raining, pitch dark and high beams from the opposite side, no place to park car...
Old 9th June 2011, 19:19   #235
RGK
Senior - BHPian

It is bit unfortunate that we are able to drive all latest cars & bikes but not implement high class roads with 100% safety. The monsoon is a regular phenomena but nothing is done by any government even after paying huge Road Tax.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:53   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post
Recently my father went somewhere where they don't need cars or any vehicles . I neither want to sell off his car nor drive it for next 3-4 months. The parking slot for the car in our building is at corner. So there is a roof but two sides are are open and heavy rain can wet the car.

What are tips to take care of the car? Should I put the car cover on or leave it open?
Is there no way you can start the car (just turn on the engine, take it a few metres backward and then back) for the time he would be away?

It would do immense good to the car to be used.

If that ain't possible, do cover it. Persistent wetting and standing idle for months will lead to water accumulation and even rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I guess so. Or even the left lane where the water does not get logged.

Once, on Tumkoor Bengaluru highway, I was driving on the right lane cause the left lane was full of very slow moving lorries.
There was a right banked corner and there was water logged on the right lane because of the banking.
My car aquaplaned severely and for a moment we were floating on water.
It turned towards the divider upto some degree. But thankfully was able to get the car back in control immediately.

Not sure to this day how to avoid such conditions. It was raining, pitch dark and high beams from the opposite side, no place to park car...
The reason you should drive somewhere in the middle of the road is, there is very little of chance of water-logging on it. (When it does occur, you can't do anything about it).

With water-logged lanes, the problem is, you'd never know if there's a pothole there. If you happen to go into it at a good speed, you are going to cause yourself and the car some damage. Also, you can never really guage the depth of the puddle.

Best option : stick to the middle; slow down at patches where there's water logging.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:03   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is there no way you can start the car (just turn on the engine, take it a few metres backward and then back) for the time he would be away?

It would do immense good to the car to be used.

If that ain't possible, do cover it. Persistent wetting and standing idle for months will lead to water accumulation and even rust.
He won't come back ever. I will ask someone to move the car every now and then. But I always thought one shouldn't cover the car in monsoon as it traps the moisture.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:14   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He won't come back ever. I will ask someone to move the car every now and then. But I always thought one shouldn't cover the car in monsoon as it traps the moisture.
Oh, I didn't get the meaning earlier. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thing is - if you leave the car in the rains, the rainwater would get trapped in the doors (personal experience).

It would do good if the car is moved once a while so the water accumulation on the brake liners, wheels etc. does not make it rust. And since you'd have someone moving the car, you don't need to be worried about the moisture.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 16:12   #239
BHPian

Quote:
I always thought one shouldn't cover the car in monsoon as it traps the moisture.
Try getting a Tyvek car cover. Tyvek is a white colored water-proof material from 3M. Its used in a variety of protective clothing, covers, envelops etc. Its fully water proof while at the same time allowing water-vapour through - i.e. moisture inside the cover is not trapped, but allowed to evaporate when it stops raining.

I got one for my car - so far its proven very effective. Much better than the normal silver material. You can find it on opera house / lamington road, ask for "Polco" or "White" car cover. Very few shops have it so you'll have to ask around. Better still try and get it from the showroom itself. If they don't understand the word "Tyvek" ask for "White" cover.
gautam109 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 16:35   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Safety on the Road:

• Never splash into a puddle as it could severely damage your car. For instance, water getting into your air intake could kill your engine.
Adding to this, never splash into puddles at high speeds, even if you know the road or driving alongside the divider. The spray almost blinds the guy driving next to you (if you on the outer lane) or even the one driving in oncoming traffic, across the divider.

The spray you kick up for fun creates a neat curtain, thick enough to blur out all visibility for a few seconds; as it lands on the other guy's wind screen.

In extreme rain and low visibility keep the 'parking indicators' also on as you drive.

Rain also washes out a lot of debris and unwanted elements on the road, major culprits being wood etc, because with wood comes a nail.

Go slow over loose debris (the small stones and construction pebbles, for road mending and stuff), they shoot out like bullets from between your tires and the slippery road. For the love of the other cars and bikers please.

Drive in the middle lane ideally, those banners of the 'friendly neighborhood politician' on unipoles (on dividers) are potential threats to bikers and cars. The force with which they sway and swing pendulously in the rain is enough to shatter your windows or leave a serious dent in your sideline. Not that they dont otherwise, but they are wet and heavier in the rains.

Safe driving y'all.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks