Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 13:55   #316

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Dodge_Viper,

Methinks one is supposed to rub it directly on the glass and then wash the baccy flakes away. Emergency tips in the MDS class I'm attending also suggested rubbing a cut tomato on the glass.

Regards
Old 19th June 2013, 13:47   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Tried the tobacco method this weekend. Put tobacco in a plain handkerchief, dipped in water and then rubbed it on glass. Made sure tobacco water was applied. But somehow nothing happened when we drove in rains.

Rain-X is available on snapdeal for around 800 I guess. They currently have an offer of buy one get one free. Claims to be imported from USA. I am planning to buy this one. I need it around door windows and side mirrors more than windshield. Rain drops collected on windows somehow make me uncomfortable while driving, hampering visibility.
Yes, Rain X is now available on Snap deal. This is a steal deal since you are getting 2 bottles for 800 Rupees. I have used Rain X and i can say that it works very well if your speeds are above 40 kmph.Here is the link @ Snapdeal

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/rain...8312?pos=0;937
Old 27th June 2013, 23:07   #318
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thought this info might be useful to the Bombay BHPians.

Regards,
SS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monsoon Advisory 2013- By United Way Mumbai Helpline.pdf (733.5 KB, 397 views)
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:32   #319
Senior - BHPian

With the rain havoc in Delhi I had to drive through a water-logged road (about 1 - 1.5 ft water), shift gears, half-clutching and what not, this was about 2 weeks back.

My swift diesel is alright except for that at times when I disengage the clutch (specially in the morning), the car shudders like it would stall (though it doesn't) and I have to press the accelerator also for the pick-up (like you do in petrol cars) to get it moving with stalling.

I've never had to press the accelerator while disengaging the clutch to get the car moving (diesel car owners would know what I mean) but now it acts as if its stalling. Is this because of the clutch engaging/disengaging that I did in the rain?
Old 19th August 2013, 12:11   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
With the rain havoc in Delhi I had to drive through a water-logged road (about 1 - 1.5 ft water), shift gears, half-clutching and what not, this was about 2 weeks back.

My swift diesel is alright except for that at times when I disengage the clutch (specially in the morning), the car shudders like it would stall (though it doesn't) and I have to press the accelerator also for the pick-up (like you do in petrol cars) to get it moving with stalling.

I've never had to press the accelerator while disengaging the clutch to get the car moving (diesel car owners would know what I mean) but now it acts as if its stalling. Is this because of the clutch engaging/disengaging that I did in the rain?
I am into similar situation. In my case 'Check engine' light is ON and I can notice change in engine sound. I can also see some loss of power. Went to nearby mechanic, he drove the car for while but didn't notice anything amiss.

Experts please advice what could get wrong coz I can definitely feel some loss of power and changed engine sound.
Old 19th August 2013, 19:12   #321
BHPian

Wide tyres have to move a lot more water out of the way and many cars today wear rubber which only a few years ago would have been considered excessively wide. The amount of tread remaining (and tread pattern) on a wide tyre is even more important than on a narrower one. Also, wide tyres can be more prone to the scrubbing of their edges, making the situation worse.

Where I live, people tend to have a set of winter tyres which have a softer compound and tread pattern more suited to the cold and wet, including snow. They are generally slightly narrower, helping them cut better through standing water.

I haven't ploughed through every single post in this thread, so apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but shock absorber (suspension damper) condition is everything in the wet, unless you are crawling along. They help maintain the maximum pressure of the tyre on the road, and work extra hard when there are puddles and standing water.
FlatOut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 11:12   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

FlatOut: The pictures @ 100KMPH are alone scary enough to drive at such speeds in rains. I hope people who see them keep it in the back of their mind while driving on wet roads.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:56   #323
BHPian

Monsoons and clutch replacement - what is the right way to do it?

Monsoon season it is. And after a night long of showers, got ready to work only to find my roads from my apartment a dirty pool. Resorted to go by car rather to reach work with all the nasty, took my K10 out and began to sail my way to work. Only to realize that each pool is running deep enough to take the K10's 13 inchers all the way into the waters. Panicked not to have the water make its way through the exhaust into the engine, i rev the engine a little higher yet drive real slow through the lake making sure blind potholes are met with minimal thuds. Translated, now this is literally clutch slipping which did not strike my head back then. After encountering three other such similar pools, and then a highway drive of 10 kms, reached work. Starting my car back in the evening, and there comes ...gears fail to engage. I open my bonnet, and there's a strong burnt smell of the clutch at the engine-gearbox mating area. The replacement costed me a hefty 10k bill!

Now here's the thing - the exhaust is all about hot gases pressurized out at the exhaust stroke at different but regular intervals . Is it really necessary to high-rev the engine as the exhaust is all about these pressurized gases escaping out continuously? And that way, there is no real chance for water to enter into the engine. Of course, the engine is going to be idling (and care must to be taken to not make it go dead mistakenly). And yes, back pressure plays a role here, but what is then the right way of doing it?

P.S: Mods, pl merge if there's a related discussion pertaining to this topic in the forum. Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 12:59   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Monsoons and clutch replacement - what is the right way to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Panicked not to have the water make its way through the exhaust into the engine, i rev the engine a little higher yet drive real slow through the lake making sure blind potholes are met with minimal thuds. Translated, now this is literally clutch slipping which did not strike my head back then.

what is then the right way of doing it?
Firstly, sorry to hear about the damage to your clutch, and its cost.

I use a mix of clutch slipping AND fully depressing the clutch to keep the engine running, depending on whether I need to move forward or when the car can roll forward with its own momentum. By reading your symptoms, it appears you might have mistakenly been slipping the clutch continuously even when you didn't need engine power or were at a standstill.

I say this because modern clutches are tough and hardy, and will not fail this quickly (unless there was a mechanical issue, or prior wear and tear) if the clutch slipping was done judiciously - especially since the K10 engine does not put out monstrous amounts of torque.

So, the recommendation:
1) If you're at a standstill in water - depress the clutch pedal fully, and rev as required - no harm to the clutch because it is fully disengaged.
2) If you need to move forward - briefly slip the clutch to keep the revs up and inch forward, but then depress the clutch as you continue to roll forward or halt. This ensures that clutch slipping occurs for the least possible time required.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:20   #325
BHPian

Hi vvijay,

What i do in such situation is exactly similar what arunphilp has mentioned. I just slot the car in first gear and keep moving and if have to brake then depress the clutch completely and than keep the revs little high.

nIk
Old 27th September 2013, 13:52   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
when the car can roll forward with its own momentum.
2) If you need to move forward - briefly slip the clutch to keep the revs up and inch forward, but then depress the clutch as you continue to roll forward or halt. This ensures that clutch slipping occurs for the least possible time required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi vvijay,

What i do in such situation is exactly similar what arunphilp has mentioned. I just slot the car in first gear and keep moving and if have to brake then depress the clutch completely and than keep the revs little high.

nIk
Sorry guys to not reply promptly as I had been to an outstation lately. The momentum point you are all talking about, is nearly absent since am sailing in knee-deep waters and the moment the clutch is disengaged, the car stops progressing. What I should have done is just made the car go in 1st gear with clutch fully engaged and zero throttle input being a little unwary about the taking the potholes a little fast, because that's the only way to save clutch from slipping totally yet meet potholes at the slowest speed and keep the car going as well.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:11   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The momentum point you are all talking about, is nearly absent since am sailing in knee-deep waters and the moment the clutch is disengaged, the car stops progressing. What I should have done is just made the car go in 1st gear with clutch fully engaged and zero throttle input being a little unwary about the taking the potholes a little fast, because that's the only way to save clutch from slipping totally yet meet potholes at the slowest speed and keep the car going as well.
Knee-deep waters would have covered your exhaust pipe. If I were in that situation, I would've focused on keeping the revs high all the time, in order to avoid the engine shutting down due to the pressure exerted by water through the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by silversteed : 27th September 2013 at 14:40.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:18   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Knee-deep waters would either have covered your exhaust pipe. If I were in that situation, I would've focused on keeping the revs high all the time, in order to avoid the engine shutting down due to the pressure exerted by water through the exhaust pipe.
See, you can keep the revs high in three conditions - by clutch fully engaged (meaning you've gotta be going faster which is not advisable given the fact that we have no idea about which pothole is where) or clutch fully depressed (translated you are in stand still which is meaningless) or in half-clutch state (which is nothing but slipping the clutch which is going to spoil it as in my case). So where am I with you on this?
Old 27th September 2013, 14:39   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, you can keep the revs high in three conditions - by clutch fully engaged (meaning you've gotta be going faster which is not advisable given the fact that we have no idea about which pothole is where) or clutch fully depressed (translated you are in stand still which is meaningless) or in half-clutch state (which is nothing but slipping the clutch which is going to spoil it as in my case). So where am I with you on this?
Slipping the clutch. I read what happened to you. Sorry, I don't know what else to do. Had the engine shut down and you tried to crank again, chances are high that you would end up with more severe damages (both to the engine and to your wallet). This is what my limited knowledge tells me.

Some links you might be interested to go through:
http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Drivin...ies/Floods.htm
http://www.smartmotorist.com/driving...g-in-rain.html
http://www.zigwheels.com/guide/monso...-roads/13272/1
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 11:56   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Slipping the clutch. I read what happened to you. Sorry, I don't know what else to do. Had the engine shut down and you tried to crank again, chances are high that you would end up with more severe damages (both to the engine and to your wallet). This is what my limited knowledge tells me.
One important query w.r.t keeping the revs high all the time when in a puddle. How to achieve this incase of Automatic transmission cars, since you cannot manually control/slip the clutch and if you rev hard, the car would just race ahead at full speed!!.
Any thoughts on this will be helpful since we see a lot of auto trany AMT cars on road today and will be helpful to all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks