Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 16:52   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
In extreme rain and low visibility keep the 'parking indicators' also on as you drive.
You might want to have a look at this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2374255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
banners of the 'friendly neighborhood politician' on unipoles (on dividers) are potential threats to bikers and cars. The force with which they sway and swing pendulously in the rain is enough to shatter your windows or leave a serious dent in your sideline
Can't emphasize how true this is. The banners are just stuck onto a thin pillar of wood and it is anyone's guess how dangerous they can be.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 20:45   #242
BHPian

I am given to understand by some mechanics in Saudi that if one is driving an automatic transmission vehicle in the rains, it would be better to drive in manual gear position rather than in "D" position as this would enable better control over the vehicle.
Experienced drivers- Your opinions please!
Regards
Old 10th June 2011, 23:45   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who drove an a-t car for several years in wet UK, I'd say it sounds like a myth.

Anyway, what "manual gear position" means would very much depend on the car. It could mean nothing at all.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:25   #244
BHPian

Excellent thread and indeed a very useful one...

Clarified a lot of doubts, especially about concrete roads, which i used to find quite slippery even in dry conditions...
Old 14th June 2011, 19:13   #245

[COLOR=black]Excellent thread. This information should be printed in all national and local newspapers so that people are aware. Imagine the number of people who are getting stuck all over India right now because they are just not aware. Thank you for this information. At least most of the people in my office and my friends are informed now. Thank you.[/COLOR]
Old 15th June 2011, 10:50   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I think this is one of those practices that started with one person, and then had a viral effect. In fact, some states of the USA have a law against hazard lights on a moving car.

In fog (and rainy) conditions, hazard lights would definitely be more visible than regular tail lamps, and do have an advantage. I'd say, use them only in extreme conditions where dense fog coupled with rain reduces your visibility to dangerous levels.

The downside is, to a car approaching from a distance, there'd be a confusion whether to change the lane (stationary car) or follow it (moving car). Plus, when the blinkers are on, they won't be able to indicate any lane changes. And dont even get me talking about the poor chap who has actually suffered a breakdown and is using his blinkers.
I think it's a very sensible thing to do in heavy rain/ fog conditions. Increases the visibility manifold. And most importantly, tends to put a car coming on behind on alert that something's amiss with the car ahead (either a breakdown or slow driving). Also, with lots of blinking lights, most people get a sense that 'I'd rather be forewarned' and tend to drive slower.

More than a breakdown vehicle, I'm more afraid of the poor autowallah (esp on those stretches which are technically highways but still within the city limits where auto-wallahs still operate). Seeing lots of blinking lights, one would tend to expect all vehicles having their lights blinking. Autos hardly have any tail-lights, forget blinking lights.

On the US rule: why? I thought blinking lights didn't only mean - 'Stationary vehicle'. I thought blinking lights meant: 'Something's the issue with me. Maintain distance & stay clear!'
Old 18th June 2011, 16:43   #247
BHPian

Can someone please inform me what needs to be done about the ORVM's and the side windows, because in rains the water does not repel from the side windows and ORVM's. Does wiping with the Newspaper suffice or are there any products that we can use on them?
Old 15th July 2011, 21:28   #248
BHPian

HELP!

Because of the yesterdays horrible downpour in mumbai,My swift took in quite some considerable amount of water inside and there is still water left on the front passengers floor (a water bed is formed)

Kindly suggest any fix or do I have to take it to the garage ASAP ?
Old 15th July 2011, 21:56   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansvalet View Post
HELP!

Because of the yesterdays horrible downpour in mumbai,My swift took in quite some considerable amount of water inside and there is still water left on the front passengers floor (a water bed is formed)

Kindly suggest any fix or do I have to take it to the garage ASAP ?
You can open the water holes on the floor so that all the water will drain out. How far up was the water inside the car?

Nevertheless, do have it inspected by MASS for as precautionary measure.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:24   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Can someone please inform me what needs to be done about the ORVM's and the side windows, because in rains the water does not repel from the side windows and ORVM's. Does wiping with the Newspaper suffice or are there any products that we can use on them?

Apply a good quality wax on the windows and ORVM.It works wonders
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 03:31   #251
BHPian

The worst drive of my life in rains was today. Whenever my wiper cleans my windshield it leaves a foggy mark and am totally blinded for a sec or so and the situation becomes worse if the headlight of the oncoming vehicle falls on my front windshield. I inspected the wiper blades and they are perfect for a 9k kms run Vista. But once the rain stopped everything was back to normal. What could be the problem?
Old 28th November 2011, 10:39   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
The worst drive of my life in rains was today. Whenever my wiper cleans my windshield it leaves a foggy mark and am totally blinded for a sec or so and the situation becomes worse if the headlight of the oncoming vehicle falls on my front windshield. I inspected the wiper blades and they are perfect for a 9k kms run Vista. But once the rain stopped everything was back to normal. What could be the problem?
For starters, check if the wiper blades are tightly fastened. There's a nut, generally concealed by a plastic cover above the mesh (between the hood and windshield). Have it tightened and then check if the wiper cleans the windshield properly.

If not, you'd have to replace the blades.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:03   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
For starters, check if the wiper blades are tightly fastened. There's a nut, generally concealed by a plastic cover above the mesh (between the hood and windshield). Have it tightened and then check if the wiper cleans the windshield properly.

If not, you'd have to replace the blades.

Thanks libranof1987 but I think the problem lies in the windshield itself cos once I stopped the car to inspect the windshield I saw a mild white layer kind of covering which when rubbed hard with a newspaper cleared up a bit.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:10   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Thanks libranof1987 but I think the problem lies in the windshield itself cos once I stopped the car to inspect the windshield I saw a mild white layer kind of covering which when rubbed hard with a newspaper cleared up a bit.
New blades would help remove that white layer.

Sometimes washing the wind screen with a mild detergent or shampoo helps clear it. Rubbing with tobacco removed from a "cancer stick" also helps.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 16:45   #255
BHPian

I had a shocking experience on my Santro yesterday. The rear wheels suddenly locked up while driving and car came to a halt. I tried engaging and releasing the hand brake, and it worked. The lock was released. I was able to reach home and the problem did not happen again on the way. After reaching home, I had to reverse the car for parking. Suddenly the wheels locked again on reversing. I was able to move forward after that, but not in reverse as the brakes bite in automatically. I have left the car at a garage today. They say this happens at times during the rains and is caused by the brake liner coming out due to the rain water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks