Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Drive Safe

Old 3rd March 2019, 00:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Driving on icy, snowy terrains is a different ballgame. I suggest you to go through some of the youtube videos which deal with specific techniques and tips for those conditions.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:57   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Hi All,

This mandates driving a 4x4 vehicle which I am unfamiliar with. .
Not really. you will not be doing any sort of offroading. You will be driving on an icy road, and a good AWD with traction control with the right tires is your best friend.

So make sure you rent from a reputable company. Most like "Bluecars" which I used give you studded tires, which totally up the game. A mere corolla equipped with studded tires will run rings around a lifted 4wd monster jeep with regular tires.
They work. Period.

Now coming to the things you should and should not be doing.
First and foremost, respect the weather. Iceland kills many tourists every year. So when ruv.is says hazardous weather, stay put. Visibility in a blizzard is not much beyond 1 feet. This means you cannot even see the bonnet.

When weather permits, make sure you keep double the regular distance between you and the car in front, and drive slower than usual. For example, on icy gravel roads where we would normally do 60kmph, we did around 40kmph max. Roads with 100kmph limit? We did 60, only speeding up to follow a "lead" vehicle at a safe distance, preferably local.

With sudded tires, it was more like driving after the first rain when roads are grimy, except for stopping, which was painfully slow.

So just rent a dacia duster, or a Toyota RAV kind of newer AWD with traction control etc., Stay way from cool looking ladder on frame lifted stuff . They are useful in summer when F roads are open.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need help from fellow TBHP folks in Delhi NCR if any/ some of you can teach me how to drive a 4x4 with its different modes.
So it looks like you don't have to learn 4x4 driving at all. Since Tanveer has driven in iceland, he knows what you will face in Iceland.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:55   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I am traveling to Iceland in April this year. With the way current weather is shaping up, it's going to be a proper winter season there instead of mild winters turning into spring. This mandates driving a 4x4 vehicle which I am unfamiliar with.
I started my initial days driving in the Eastern United States during one of its worst winters ever. I can tell you that the trick is to avoid 3 things only:
1) Hard braking
2) Hard acceleration
3) Aggressive turns

By following these 3 tenets, people get by with RWD or even FWD cars in snow; if its a thickly populated area, the local authorities will salt the roads over and plow them. If it snows faster than they can do that, you can stay home. Where these cars will fail in snow and ice every single time is when you need to get moving after stopping on an inclined surface (at a traffic stop, for instance). Where they will sometimes fail is at high speeds when you suddenly hit a patch of ice on the highway.

Moreover, AWD will suit you better than 4x4, for driving in snow. 4x4 doesn't actually help you when you lose traction in icy conditions as much an AWD system would. 4x4 will beat AWD systems when you off-road. But if all you're going to do is to drive out after dark to the local grocery store when there's black ice on desolate roads, look no further than an AWD car. Chains on the tyres are usually permitted during the right season and winter tyres go one step further to keep you firmly planted. Since I lived in a populated suburban area, all-season tyres suited me fine in an AWD SUV.

Lastly, if it's an AWD you ultimately choose, relax! There's nothing "extra" you would need to learn since the AWD system's computer would be the one doing all the thinking for you by constantly calculating how much power should be sent to each wheel, depending upon the traction it's getting at any given point in time.

I did achieve an out-of-control spinout on black ice once in my AWD SUV and it spun out at a turning; but the "AWD" and "TCS" lights began glowing and things got back under control pretty soon.

OT: Is it weird that Iceland is less snowed in/iced over compared to Greenland?

Last edited by locusjag : 3rd March 2019 at 20:19.
locusjag is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 15:44   #65
BHPian

Default Re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not really. you will not be doing any sort of offroading. You will be driving on an icy road, and a good AWD with traction control with the right tires is your best friend.

So make sure you rent from a reputable company. Most like "Bluecars" which I used give you studded tires, which totally up the game. A mere corolla equipped with studded tires will run rings around a lifted 4wd monster jeep with regular tires.
They work. Period.
Thanks sir ji - this clears a few doubts. Have a few more regarding blue car and insurance related queries.. will PM you regarding the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

OT: Is it weird that Iceland is less snowed in/iced over compared to Greenland?
Thanks for the advice! Basis some theory, it has to do with keeping away invaders. Since Greenland falls before Iceland on a specific such route, invaders would turn back thinking "if Greenland is so cold, how cold would Iceland be?!", thus preserving the pristine beauty of Iceland.
MNITDEVIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 23:12   #66
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Basis some theory, it has to do with keeping away invaders. Since Greenland falls before Iceland on a specific such route, invaders would turn back thinking "if Greenland is so cold, how cold would Iceland be?!", thus preserving the pristine beauty of Iceland.
Actually no
Quote:
The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Norse sagas, it is said that Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find the land that was rumored to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grønland ("Greenland"), possibly in order to attract more people to settle there. Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") on early maps. Whether Green is an erroneous transcription of Grunt ("Ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. It should also be noted, however, that the southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer.
Look at https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wiki.../Greenland.htm (Etymology)

So it was to "attract" people to settle.
Also note, this was the medieval warm period, so greenland fjords etc., were much greener and lush. thanks to human ingenuity, you may see the wonderful warm lush Greenland of the medieval ages in just a few decades.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th March 2019 at 23:14.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote