Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Driving on icy, snowy terrains is a different ballgame. I suggest you to go through some of the youtube videos which deal with specific techniques and tips for those conditions.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:57   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Hi All,

This mandates driving a 4x4 vehicle which I am unfamiliar with. .
Not really. you will not be doing any sort of offroading. You will be driving on an icy road, and a good AWD with traction control with the right tires is your best friend.

So make sure you rent from a reputable company. Most like "Bluecars" which I used give you studded tires, which totally up the game. A mere corolla equipped with studded tires will run rings around a lifted 4wd monster jeep with regular tires.
They work. Period.

Now coming to the things you should and should not be doing.
First and foremost, respect the weather. Iceland kills many tourists every year. So when ruv.is says hazardous weather, stay put. Visibility in a blizzard is not much beyond 1 feet. This means you cannot even see the bonnet.

When weather permits, make sure you keep double the regular distance between you and the car in front, and drive slower than usual. For example, on icy gravel roads where we would normally do 60kmph, we did around 40kmph max. Roads with 100kmph limit? We did 60, only speeding up to follow a "lead" vehicle at a safe distance, preferably local.

With sudded tires, it was more like driving after the first rain when roads are grimy, except for stopping, which was painfully slow.

So just rent a dacia duster, or a Toyota RAV kind of newer AWD with traction control etc., Stay way from cool looking ladder on frame lifted stuff . They are useful in summer when F roads are open.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need help from fellow TBHP folks in Delhi NCR if any/ some of you can teach me how to drive a 4x4 with its different modes.
So it looks like you don't have to learn 4x4 driving at all. Since Tanveer has driven in iceland, he knows what you will face in Iceland.
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:55   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am traveling to Iceland in April this year. With the way current weather is shaping up, it's going to be a proper winter season there instead of mild winters turning into spring. This mandates driving a 4x4 vehicle which I am unfamiliar with.
I started my initial days driving in the Eastern United States during one of its worst winters ever. I can tell you that the trick is to avoid 3 things only:
1) Hard braking
2) Hard acceleration
3) Aggressive turns

By following these 3 tenets, people get by with RWD or even FWD cars in snow; if its a thickly populated area, the local authorities will salt the roads over and plow them. If it snows faster than they can do that, you can stay home. Where these cars will fail in snow and ice every single time is when you need to get moving after stopping on an inclined surface (at a traffic stop, for instance). Where they will sometimes fail is at high speeds when you suddenly hit a patch of ice on the highway.

Moreover, AWD will suit you better than 4x4, for driving in snow. 4x4 doesn't actually help you when you lose traction in icy conditions as much an AWD system would. 4x4 will beat AWD systems when you off-road. But if all you're going to do is to drive out after dark to the local grocery store when there's black ice on desolate roads, look no further than an AWD car. Chains on the tyres are usually permitted during the right season and winter tyres go one step further to keep you firmly planted. Since I lived in a populated suburban area, all-season tyres suited me fine in an AWD SUV.

Lastly, if it's an AWD you ultimately choose, relax! There's nothing "extra" you would need to learn since the AWD system's computer would be the one doing all the thinking for you by constantly calculating how much power should be sent to each wheel, depending upon the traction it's getting at any given point in time.

I did achieve an out-of-control spinout on black ice once in my AWD SUV and it spun out at a turning; but the "AWD" and "TCS" lights began glowing and things got back under control pretty soon.

OT: Is it weird that Iceland is less snowed in/iced over compared to Greenland?

Last edited by locusjag : 3rd March 2019 at 20:19.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 15:44   #65
BHPian

Re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not really. you will not be doing any sort of offroading. You will be driving on an icy road, and a good AWD with traction control with the right tires is your best friend.

So make sure you rent from a reputable company. Most like "Bluecars" which I used give you studded tires, which totally up the game. A mere corolla equipped with studded tires will run rings around a lifted 4wd monster jeep with regular tires.
They work. Period.
Thanks sir ji - this clears a few doubts. Have a few more regarding blue car and insurance related queries.. will PM you regarding the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

OT: Is it weird that Iceland is less snowed in/iced over compared to Greenland?
Thanks for the advice! Basis some theory, it has to do with keeping away invaders. Since Greenland falls before Iceland on a specific such route, invaders would turn back thinking "if Greenland is so cold, how cold would Iceland be?!", thus preserving the pristine beauty of Iceland.
MNITDEVIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 23:12   #66
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Basis some theory, it has to do with keeping away invaders. Since Greenland falls before Iceland on a specific such route, invaders would turn back thinking "if Greenland is so cold, how cold would Iceland be?!", thus preserving the pristine beauty of Iceland.
Actually no
Quote:
The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Norse sagas, it is said that Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find the land that was rumored to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grønland ("Greenland"), possibly in order to attract more people to settle there. Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") on early maps. Whether Green is an erroneous transcription of Grunt ("Ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. It should also be noted, however, that the southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer.
Look at https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wiki.../Greenland.htm (Etymology)

So it was to "attract" people to settle.
Also note, this was the medieval warm period, so greenland fjords etc., were much greener and lush. thanks to human ingenuity, you may see the wonderful warm lush Greenland of the medieval ages in just a few decades.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th March 2019 at 23:14.
Old 14th December 2020, 16:50   #67
BANNED

Re: Driving on Snow - What's the secret?

Driving on ice turns out to be a lot trickier that what one initially expects. The cold and icy conditions make the roads slippery and the tyres struggle to find grip. Hence, it is important to be very gentle with the steering, throttle and braking inputs. Sudden directional changes or rapid acceleration are likely to result in a loss of control.

If you sense that the vehicle is about to start skidding, then always steer in the direction of the skid. For example, if the rear end of the vehicle steps out towards the right, then you must steer towards the right to bring the car to a straight position. During a skid, stay calm, look where you want to go and steer the vehicle in that direction.

When moving from stationary, always increase the vehicle speed slowly. Never rev the motor high in the low gears as the car could spin out. Reduce your speed before you start turning the steering wheel and accelerate after you have exited the corner. Never accelerate or brake mid-corner.
Old 10th December 2021, 10:41   #68
BHPian

Just ran off the road.

This morning at 5 AM on my way to work my car slid off the road. There is new snow and zero friction. I was just driving out from the house and the car started to slide from the compound.
Speed was walking speed and I had to let the car slide. There was nothing I could do.
As it looks there dont seem to be any damage.
Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-063c99ad584745bfba3268326c1d8bb7.jpeg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-e4ecc9d655844ad293d6550b72229230.jpeg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-f80399838da646cca27caf9dacc0058f.jpeg

I just put out a flare and now waiting for the tow truck.
Indian2003 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 11:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: Just ran off the road.

Glad that you're safe. Hoping that the vehicle suffers no serious damage and you're back on the road soon.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 14:24   #70
BHPian

Hi all,

A recent case of a Mahindra Thar skidding and failing to stop, hence going through crash barriers has been reported from Gulmarg. (https://autobala.com/mahindra-thar-s...ulmarg/285127/)

The Thar in question here, seems to have been driving at a higher speed and possibly braked too aggressively. Am not sure, but it does appear that the car had snow tires on too.

Anyway, the question I have is, suppose we are in the skid. For whatever reasons, not having chains, snow tires, drove aggressively, didn't have experience, whatever at all, we are in the skid and we realize that plain braking is not helping and we are skidding towards the edge. What should we do?
Do we try to turn the steering lock to lock in hopes of getting some traction? Do we try putting the car in reverse in the hopes that the tire would find some asphalt?

I have not been in this situation yet, but if someday I am, I would want to know what are the options I have, other than praying very loudly!

Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2022, 01:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
The Thar in question here, seems to have been driving at a higher speed and possibly braked too aggressively. Am not sure, but it does appear that the car had snow tires on too.

Anyway, the question I have is, suppose we are in the skid.
Do we try to turn the steering lock to lock in hopes of getting some traction? Do we try putting the car in reverse in the hopes that the tire would find some asphalt?
I dont think his speed was too high. It looks like a combination of low friction and incorrect tyres. It is very similar to what happened to me a few days ago. I was on almost brand new Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tyres used only for 1 season and yet the car started to slide at walking speed.
I made an attempt to put the car in reverse and spin the front wheels back to the middle of the road but the engine stalled. This wont work with a rear wheel drive car.
I am in Romania now and I can demonstrate this on video when I get back home.
If you dont use snow tyres, it is safer to use chains before you get into trouble.
I use degreaser on my tyres several times every season. I spray on and spin the wheels in the snow. I have not done it yet this season.
Old 2nd January 2022, 01:23   #72
BANNED

Thats what we do here in Kashmir during snow.
1. Try to maintain a slow and steady speed. Even if there is nobody in front of you dont accelerate because you may have to apply brakes for sudden stops.
2. Try to avoid braking which is possible only if you maintain slow speed.
3 Do not drive in neutral during downhills.
4. If the snow is more than 4 to 5 inches use chains on wheels.
5. Try to follow wheel marks left by other vehicles.

I have seen even 4x4 thar going turtle on a mountain in Gulmarg Kashmir recently. He used brakes while turning on a snowy mountain. Thank God no loves were lost.
AamirHussain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 20:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

A recent case of a Mahindra Thar skidding and failing to stop, hence going through crash barriers has been reported from Gulmarg. (https://autobala.com/mahindra-thar-s...ulmarg/285127/)

I have not been in this situation yet, but if someday I am, I would want to know what are the options I have, other than praying very loudly!

Cheers!
I have driven on such frozen roads that the ABS was kicking in just by touching the brake pedal, and I had no effective braking for hundreds of feet. When I'm in such conditions I just drive 2nd gear, and let the engine move the car without using any accelerator input. I drive an i20 diesel by the way. In a petrol car, use minimal accelerator input just enough to propel the car forward.

If you are in a skid you can try steering your car back, and try braking and hope your ABS allows the car to eventually stop. If there's no ABS use the brake pedal very carefully over frozen roads.

Finally if everything fails and you're headed towards a wall, brace for impact!! This is very possible on frozen roads so always drive slow keeping this scenario in mind.

If you're on the hills, like the Thar in the video above, don't think twice and just ditch the car before its too late. That's why we pay the insurance premiums.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 17:14   #74
BHPian

I had my car parked for 15 days at the airport for Christmas while I travelled to Romania. Temperatures were between -8 and -15° in Oslo.
The battery was at 60% when I left home. It is 160 km to the airport. I had my doubts if the car would start and made sure my membership at the tow truck company was active for 2022.
The battery is a 100A Varta Silver Dynamic that I bought in December 2017.
The car started at once after glowing the full cycle. Mileage shows 417,000 km now.

The wife is busy removing snow from the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-b719413b30a5409b983766a05a1842ed.jpeg  

Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 19:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
The Thar in question here, seems to have been driving at a higher speed and possibly braked too aggressive
Cheers!
If you notice the tracks of other vehicles, everyone was taking outer radius of curve to turn but Thar driver, took the innermost radius ,which is much steeper.This resulted into increased speed and thus,panic braking.Snow, speed and braking are recipie for disaster. I also suspect that Thar was being driven in neutral gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks