Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 18:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!

According to the total number of registrations in 2017, the electric vehicles, including battery electric vehicles (BEV) and hybrid vehicles contributed to 52% of the overall sales in Norway. The same number stood at 40% in 2016.

The Norwegian government offers incentives to buyers of BEV and hybrid vehicles in the form of subsidies, free parking and tolls, and other incentives. This is reflected in the list of top three cars on sale as well, which were the Volkswagen Golf, Toyota RAV4 and the Tesla model X. The first two offer hybrid variants while the Tesla is a fully electric vehicle. Further, over 1 in every 5 cars sold in Norway is now a zero-emission vehicle.

According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), in terms of electric car sales, Norway was leading other countries like the Netherlands, Sweden, China, France and Britain by a big margin. The electric car sales stood at 39% in Norway, while Netherlands was in second placed at 6.4%.

Last year, the government of Norway declared that all cars should be zero emission vehicles by 2025. Other countries including the UK, France and China have come up with similar bans, while Germany is also considering the same. India has also been working on a draft to accelerate the adoption of electric cars. However, the high import duties and lack of infrastructure are the largest deterrents to the various manufacturers selling BEVs in the country.

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-tesla.jpeg

Source - Reuters

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th January 2018 at 18:19.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 19:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!

Yup, its the push by Govt. thats driving this purchase pattern. A related video -

Dry Ice is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 21:25   #3
BHPian

Very nice, all the developing countries should get ready for old battery dumping once they are depleted.
CarJunki is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 21:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a sign of the times and the direction automobiles will eventually take. Norway's electricity production is 98% from hydro-power which makes eminent sense to move to PHEV or BEV type automobiles. An interesting parallel can be drawn of steam locomotives v/s electrics & diesels. UK stopped production of steam locomotives in 1960. India stopped 12 years later in 1972. UK ended steam loco operations in the early 1980s; India stopped broad gauge stem operations in 1995. Again roughly 12 years later or so. I wonder if by 2030 all ICE manufacture will end in India? Scandinavia is often times 5 to 10 years ahead of Europe in trends; Europe is 5 to 10 years ahead of India. ~20 years hence seems a likely possibility for us to be primarily on a electric band wagon. It seems to tally with the British policy aim of 2040.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th January 2018 at 21:44.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 10:31   #5
BANNED

Good. Remember Norway is a small country, so the distance/range limitations really do not matter. In any case hey have taken the lead - excellent. They will be a good advert.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!

I wonder how many people will be able to afford a car once Norway runs out of oil. Don't forget that it's an oil exporter, pollute elsewhere but NIMBY (not in my backyard). They can use their whaling fleet to dump the batteries far from their territory when the time comes.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

That's a huge number. Agreed that Norway is a small country, the steps towards electrification started over 20 years ago. The country is reaping the benefits of its decisions. They have developed one of the most extensive network of charging stations in the world.

Quote:
The Norwegian government offers incentives to buyers of BEV and hybrid vehicles in the form of subsidies, free parking and tolls, and other incentives.
Adding to the list, all-electric cars and utility vans are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase (Source - Wikipedia). They can also get access to the public bus lanes.

India is in dire need to curb pollution right now. It's good that the Government is promoting the electric vehicles in India, but doing so at the cost of hybrid vehicles isn't right. Even Norway's 2 top selling vehicles are hybrids.
Omkar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 01:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Norway's Insatiable demand for EV's continues and Chinese brands have now started to capitalize. In my recent 3 wk holiday in Norway, I saw several MG EV SUV's which, frankly speaking, I wasn't surprised with given their lower pricing and hence market positioning. but then, there is NIO and Hongqi that are selling in the premium segments. Of particular mention are :

1. NIO ES8

Name:  nioes8.png
Views: 108
Size:  174.8 KB

Name:  nio.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  23.9 KB

If somebody debadged this car, it can clearly be called European. Very minimal and good styling lines. Quite Balanced looking. No jarring chrome. Has a BMW X5 footprint and seems roomy.
I started to like this car.

2. hongqi e-hs9

Name:  tz6y6o0bfviy_800.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  46.1 KB

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-imagehongqiehs92021reviewautocar164315794820600.jpg

Name:  cn0y232bwfru_800.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  86.5 KB

when I first saw the rear end of this car in parking, the unique rear-end caught my attention. Made no presumptions of its country of origin since it had no badges anywhere. It even had after-market Vossen wheels giving me the impression that it was a European SUV on Test drive. came to the front and there was no mistaking. Front was ugly but then, it is decently tied-in. This car, however, seems to be getting more attention off late. Saw atleast 6 in the mountains and fjords. the cities of Oslo and Bergen may have definitely seem more.

These apart, there are other brands such as Maxus by SAIC motors and Xpeng that are now making their way to the Nordic market. I've seen these in Finland -

3. Maxus Euniq 6

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-maxuseuniq62022ek5.jpg

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-maxuseuniq610.jpg

4. Maxus Euniq 5

Name:  Maxus_Euniq_MPVAK4732640x360.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  22.1 KB

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-maxuseuniq56seter2aspectratio16809601680x960.jpg

5. Xpeng G3

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-xpeng1.jpg

Norway: EVs & Hybrids make up 52% of car sales!-2018_xpeng_g3_rear.jpg

These definitely look Chinese. Top hint - under-tired design. European car designs don't make that mistake.

All in All, the dragon is definitely out of the room.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 1st August 2022 at 01:10.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 03:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

If somebody debadged this car, it can clearly be called European. Very minimal and good styling lines. Quite Balanced looking. No jarring chrome. Has a BMW X5 footprint and seems roomy.
I started to like this car.
You are not alone and we have to give credits to this American industrial designer Kris Tomasson (wiki) who worked for BMW and designed their i models. From 2015~16, he is with Nio and currently the vice president-design of Nio’s Munich development studio (Yes, their design studio is in Munich!). No wonder the Nio models ooze European design.

In the last couple of years, there is a considerable number of top European and American designers moving to China and working for these ambitious Chinese EV makers.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st August 2022 at 03:04.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
...No wonder the Nio models ooze European design.
More than styling, there is the tech - NIO's unique battery Swap tech seems quite appealing to EV Buyers.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
NIO's unique battery Swap tech seems quite appealing to EV Buyers.
Do you know how prevalant these battery swap stations are in Norway? Atleast here in NL, they did not start selling Nio's yet (but expected end of this year).I am looking forward to ET5, as on paper it looks all the things model 3 + a bit more. With an attractive pricing, may be ET5 will be a direct rival to Model 3.
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Do you know how prevalant these battery swap stations are in Norway? Atleast here in NL, they did not start selling Nio's yet (but expected end of this year).I am looking forward to ET5, as on paper it looks all the things model 3 + a bit more. With an attractive pricing, may be ET5 will be a direct rival to Model 3.
I don't live in Norway and I don't have the current update but last I read, there is a battery swap station in Drammen which is south of Oslo with 20 more to come.

Many brands which includes NIO, Hongqi etc. are entering the European market via Norway. God knows why but that is their plan. Lower end brands such as Maxus are showing up in Estonia and Finland in the taxi segment.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks