Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 15:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)

Skoda gives an insight on all that is connected to Electric vehicles !

Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)-4.jpg

Eectric vehicle (EV) is a sweeping term that, in its broadest sense, encompasses any car that uses electricity for propulsion.

Primarily classified into:

1. BEV:

Battery electric vehicles rely solely on electric motors for propulsion. They derive their electricity primarily from charging points and store it in battery packs.

2. HEV :

Hybrid electric vehicles different from BEV's is that their electric motor is also accompanied by an internal combustion engine.

3. FCEV:

A fuel cell electric vehicle, like a BEV, only has an electric motor, but it uses a different method to store and extract electricity. An FCEV incorporates a hydrogen tank and a cluster of fuel cells in which a chemical reaction transforms hydrogen into electricity and water vapour.

A complex design and escalating costs doesn't seem to a mass production solution in the near future.

Hybrids can be further sub-divided as follows:

There are two ways of doing this. In the first method they are classified according to how power is supplied to the drivetrain, and are categorised as series, parallel and power-split hybrids.

SERIES HYBRID:

This is powered purely by the electric motor. The internal combustion engine is there only to recharge the batteries. This hybrid comes to the fore in urban traffic and, above all, in stop-and-go driving, where an ICE is less efficient.

PARALLEL HYBRID:

This can be powered either by the internal combustion engine alone, or by a combination of the ICE and the electric motor. Compared to the series hybrid, it is more efficient at higher speeds and is cheaper because it can run on smaller-capacity batteries.

POWER-SPLIT HYBRID:

This can switch between a series and a parallel mode when necessary, thus combining the benefits of both. This means that it can be powered by an electric motor only, by an internal combustion engine only, or by a combination of the two.

Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)-1.jpg

The second method classifies hybrid electric vehicles, according to their degree of hybridization, as micro, mild, full and plug-in hybrids.

MICRO HYBRID

All that stands a micro hybrid apart from an ordinary internal combustion engine vehicle is its start-stop system and brake energy regeneration. A micro hybrid uses this recovered energy to recharge the battery, resulting in a small reduction in fuel consumption and lower CO2 emissions.

MILD HYBRID

is fitted with an electric motor, but uses an internal combustion engine to power the wheels throughout each journey. The electric motor’s role is simply to assist the ICE, for example, when starting off or accelerating. In other words, a mild hybrid is consistent with the parallel hybrid under the first method of classification. A mild hybrid exists to reduce the car’s consumption or to increase the dynamism of an already powerful car.

FULL HYBRID

can be driven solely on electric propulsion, the only limiting factor being the battery capacity (in this respect it is much like the power-split hybrids under the first method of classification).

PLUG-IN HYBRID

The difference between a full hybrid and a plug-in hybrid (which could be considered a version 2.0 full hybrid) is that, in a full hybrid, the battery is recharged only when braking or by the internal combustion engine, whereas a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) can also be charged from a socket or charging point.

Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)-2.jpg

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ELECTRIC CAR AND A PLUG-IN HYBRID?

Both types are equipped with a socket for charging, but otherwise they’re fundamentally different. The plug-in hybrid, sometimes referred to as PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), combines a classic internal combustion engine with an electric motor which can be recharged from an electrical outlet as well as energy recovery while driving. Even the PHEV can be driven in pure electric mode, but the range is limited to 30 to 50 kilometers.

Plug-in hybrids, however, manage their energy so efficiently that they can utilize the topography of route navigation to choose the best sections for driving with the internal combustion engine, in electric mode, and a combination of both. The result is low fuel consumption and a quiet electric drive, especially around the city. Electric cars, on the other hand, are powered by electric motors only.

Their batteries have a much higher capacity, which means that the range is up to ten times longer on electric power in contrast to the PHEV.

ARE ELECTRIC CARS DANGEROUS IN AN ACCIDENT?

Like conventional cars, electric cars also go through standard crash tests with good results. Batteries are not explosive in an accident, and electric cars can also operate without a clutch and without gearbox or engine oil, which is usually a cause of fires in a crash. Overall, they have much fewer components, which further reduces the likelihood of failure. The batteries are completely insulated from the rest of the car, and in the event of an accident, the whole system is disconnected.

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)

I am painfully bereft of my sinless 9.5 year old Diesel Innova (Milemuncher) which I had to let go for a paltry sum of money, and all I have left is memories of better times.
In this context, I have made the decision to invest the proceeds of sale in a deposit account, in anticipation of policy clarifications by the government, manufacturer offerings , and experiences of the general public.
Thus I am not putting my money down on BEV offerings currently out there from ME.

As I like to keep my cars , and lavish great care to their maintenance and upkeep, I would like to be apprised of the following - before I decide to put my money down on a BEV or a FCEV.

For me <any> hybrid is NOT a solution - because, if it contains an ICE, my State (Delhi) would render the vehicle illegal by the time of EOL on the first RC. I am pretty sure, other States of India, will follow Delhi/NCR's lead in this respect, if the hon'ble NGT has its way. So, a few observations and questions, haunt me. These may/may not resonate with others, but in the spirit of democracy, here they come -
  1. Would such vehicles (BEV/FCEV) be automatically eligible for a fitness certificate at EOL by the competent RTO pan-India? (Yes sir, I know the EV policy is unclear- however I am keen to know, because at the EOL, I would have retired from active service, and without a pension to bolster finances, buying a replacement 10-15 years later is less attractive, than renewing the fitness).
  2. The ex-showroom price point of a BEV is much higher than their equivalent petrol/diesel competition. I want to know, if (and when) this price point will be akin to Petrol variants of similar trim and equipment levels?
  3. Toyota seem to have hinted about a BEV version of their bestselling Corolla. Is there a real possibility of Toyota bringing out a small car BEV in 2020?
  4. Delivered range of vehicle is an area of concern, and innovative service solutions will be key to deliver consistent user experience over the ownership period.
    While ME's offerings are 100-180 km, Honda's planned offering (Jazz?) will be around 150-200 km, and MS Wagon R around 90 km or so.
    This by the way is only when the batteries are running new. With use, and consumption of charging cycles, delivered range will definitely and possibly exponentially decrease.
    Admittedly, these are therefore going to limit use to in-city travel. Even so, the owner will have to be returning to base more often further into ownership tenure , just to get that level of impaired delivered range.
    What's needed is an OEM approved service or offering that provides for certified refurbished batteries and/or fuel cells , with a pan-India reach. Such a service or offering should be able to exchange these batteries/fuel-cells (for a fee) at home.

I am not against EVs. I just need some form of supplemental transport on tap, that would supplement R3 today, and possibly supplant it tomorrow.

I am aware that the SIAM members are still pushing B.S. IV vehicles knowing full well the implications of the recent order of Hon'ble Supreme Court of India. I have seen through that. I am cautious and wary.
I also, do not want to be relegated to being a Ola/Uber user late in life, Or, have recourse to pedal power only in my golden years.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 22nd March 2019 at 18:02.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda explains the different types of electrified vehicles (EVs, Hybrids)

EV's and charging !

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks